[net.followup] Orphaned Response

porges (01/22/83)

#R:yale-com:-66000:inmet:4000001:177600:411
inmet!porges    Jan 20 10:03:00 1983

	Wait....you never heard of "agnostic?"  Someone who does not believe
in theism doesn't have to be an atheist...(s)he could be someone who has no
belief one way or the other.  (As far as Communism -- specifically Marxist-
Leninism -- goes,  it definitely is atheistic -- that's why they call it
dialectical MATERIALISM.
					-- Don Porges
					...harpo!inmet!porges
					...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!porges

zev@hou2a.UUCP (09/04/83)

#R:hp-dcd:19300001:hou2a:-1:37777777600:1094
hou2a!zev    Aug  2 16:25:00 1983

you guessed it!
the u in the circle is a trademark of the
Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations.
The Union allows packagers to use this symbol
only if the stuff is Kosher.  They
inspect the plant on a regular basis, and
a fee is charged for this service and the
use of the symbol.
  The basic idea is that if anyone puts that
symbol on a non-kosher item, they will be
hauled into Federal court and sued to the point
where they regret ever having thought of this nifty
way to cheat Jewish consumers.
Yes, you can trust it to be non-meat if it contains
dairy products.  Also, if you see the
word PARVE on an item, it is both non-dairy
and non-meat.
As far as what's meat and what isn't:
Mammals are
Fowl are
Fish are not
Eggs are not
The rules and reasons are too complicated to discuss here.
If still confused, send mail, since I'm rarely on this
net ( I am on an apparently futile search and read mission
for net.jokes, and will appreciate any mail telling where the
damn thing has dissappeared to).
                                   Zev Farkas
                                   hou2a!zev

bloom@inmet.UUCP (09/04/83)

#R:ihuxr:-55300:inmet:4000014:177600:331
inmet!bloom    Sep  4 00:07:00 1983

Me, too.

(I go into hysteresis every time I think about the resistance to such a
group.  It really hertz me to think that the members of this net have
no capacity in their hartz (sic) for such a group!  My friend Mho thinks
the same way I do ... if they don't wanna join, induct 'em.)

Ray Bloom
{harpo, ima, esquire}!inmet!bloom

leimkuhl@uiuccsb.UUCP (10/25/83)

#R:vortex:-16200:uiuccsb:3200016:000:980
uiuccsb!leimkuhl    Oct 24 11:39:00 1983

	If you have some hardware expertise, it shouldn't be too hard
	to construct a simple circuit to recognize the WWV time signal.
	The WWV signal consists of one tone per second with a high pitched
	beep at the minute.

	I remember seeing an article in an old '73 magazine on just such a
	reciever ("Build a Digital Time Standard using the WWV Signal" or
	something like it).

	You could use an El Cheapo shortwave reciever (Panasonic RF085, etc.)
	and leave it set to 5, 10, or 15 Mhz; hook a small linear amp to the
	earphone jack and use an SCR to trigger on the WWV signal.  The
	only problem might be the fact that there is a speaking voice for
	part of the broadcast, so maybe you'll need a simple filter, too.

	Once your computer can recognize the incoming signal, it's really
	simple to right a piece of code to monitor this input and update
	a clock.  This approach would allow great flexibility in how the
	clock is used.

	Ben Leimkuhler
	(uiucdcs!uiuccsb!leimkuhl)

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (10/27/83)

#R:bbncca:-19500:uokvax:2700003:000:681
uokvax!emjej    Oct 24 13:57:00 1983

Hmm. It seems to me that net.sheep has exactly as much, and the same
sort of, justification as net.motss. I won't bother to say more on that
topic.

As for net.motss as a forum for homosexual (sorry, but I refuse to
participate in the destruction of a perfectly reasonable word for which
there's no precise substitute) issues of interest to people in general:
that doesn't seem to be borne out by the content of the messages I've
seen so far, but then that might be biased by the newness of the group
(some of them are "hello out there" messages). Am I interested, for
instance, in non-bar places for homosexuals to meet? Ah, well; I guess
I shall wait and see.

						James Jones

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (11/09/83)

#R:hplabsc:-143800:uokvax:2700005:000:1093
uokvax!rigney    Oct 30 11:17:00 1983

Please note that cannibalism has never been a major source of protein
for any culture whatsoever.  Clearly one is better off eating what the
victims eat than letting them eat it and then eating them.  Cannibalism
is largely a religious/cultural phenomenon, and not a nutritional one.

Cannibals do not consider people as food, they generally only eat certain
portions of their enemies.  Although in some cases the entire enemy is
consumed (with the best parts going to the warriors, of course), I can
think of no case where people were treated as a standard food source.
Of course I'm talking about actual cultures, and not isolated incidents
such as the Donner party and Alfred Packer.  The reasons why Hindus
don't eat beef are entirely different from the reasons why Americans
don't eat people.

To anyone who would like to know about all this, I heartily recommend
Marvin Harris's books CANNIBALS AND KINGS, and COWS, PIGS, WARS, AND
WITCHES, which will also tell you why pork was forbidden in the bible.

	Carl
	..!ctvax!uokvax!rigney
	..!duke!uok!uokvax!rigney
		... or so they tell me.

bobm@hp-pcd.UUCP (01/10/84)

<>
	How come when I try this for Christmas, 1983 (which was
	a Sunday) I get F = 0, which is correct, but when I try
	to get January 1, 1984 I get F = 2? Any January or February
	dates seem to be off by two.

					Bob May
					!hplabs!hp-pcd!bobm

wombat@uicsl.UUCP (01/11/84)

#R:dsd:-22600:uicsl:4400002:000:404
uicsl!wombat    Jan 10 18:12:00 1984

"And you talk of human justice as you ride on fancy wheels
And you push them to their limit just to see how nice it feels
Well, it doesn't really matter if she's living or she's dead
You just drive away forgetting that your bumper's dipped in red.
Well, if that's the kind of justice that our Hall of Justice claims
Then I respect, respect, respect ol' Jesse James." - Don McLean
						    "Respectable"

jc@inmet.UUCP (04/21/84)

#R:mprvaxa:-50400:inmet:4000061:177600:1123
inmet!jc    Apr 20 12:54:00 1984

<>

>       ...  Writers of quality software should understand that one can
> steal their code but not their reputation.

On the contrary, I've seen numerous pieces of my code, from which all
identification had been removed.  My original usually includes my name
in an initial comment, together with a statement that it is not copyrighted,
but that users should give me credit for it.  People routinely strip out
all such comments.  If this isn't stealing my reputation, what is?

This has even been done by managers in big companies.  Their euphemism
is "egoless programming".  As far as I can tell, what they mean by this
is that they don't intend to give credit where credit is due.

It would be nice if people would pay me occasionally for copies of my
programs.  But if they won't do that, the least they could do is give
me the credit (or blame) for the way it works.  How do they ever expect
to get more quality software if they don't give credit?

					John M Chambers [inmet!jc]
					Intermetrics, Inc.
					735 Concord Ave.
					Cambridge, MA 02138
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem."

andrew@inmet.UUCP (05/05/84)

#R:brl-vgr:-9600:inmet:4000066:177600:655
inmet!andrew    Apr 26 10:57:00 1984

> KGB Officers are university admissions personnel? AHA! THAT explains
> it! Now I know why the current crop of students are who they are...

Don't laugh... during the McCarthy era, various Red-baiters alleged that
Soviet agents had infiltrated admissions departments (particularly those
of grad schools in diplomacy, international relations, and journalism),
ostensibly to ensure a future generation of "pinkos" in high places.

Not one whit of evidence ever supported these claims, but in those days
anyone who asked for proof was a "fellow-traveler", or at least a "dupe".

Andrew W. Rogers, Intermetrics   ...{harpo|ihnp4|ima|esquire}!inmet!andrew

mpackard@uok.UUCP (10/10/84)

[ ack ack ack ]

That is not a smile but a shovel.  To dig out the bugs.

andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (andrea) (02/20/85)

Interesting note.  Would someone post a *short* description of the charges,
for us ignorami?

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 487-4100 x4664
net:  {allegra|ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea

 ...searchlights casting for faults in the clouds of delusion

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (02/27/85)

In article <> andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (andrea) writes:

>Interesting note.  Would someone post a *short* description of the charges,
>for us ignorami?
>
>Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 487-4100 x4664

As a follow-up to an "Orphaned Response" does *anybody* have any idea of
what this whole conversation is about?  If Andrea felt like one of the
ignorami at this stage, what about now -- we've even lost the subject line.

Larry

Larry J. Huntley         Burroughs -(B)- Corporation
                         Advanced Systems Group  MS-703
                         10850 Via Frontera    San Diego, CA  92128
- Non Circum Copulae -   (619) 485-4544
----
--

bill@hpfcms.UUCP (bill) (06/28/85)

In article <3865@alice.UUCP> wolit@alice.UUCP (Jan Wolitzky) writes:
>The big question this week is, when Reagan urged America's youth to
>emulate the entrepreneurial spirit of those young men who started a
>multi-million dollar high-tech company in their garage, was he
>referring to Apple Computer, which last week layed off 1,200 workers
>and closed three of its six plants, or to Hewlett-Packard, which today
>announced that its 84,000 employees would be furloughed for three days
>next month?

Reagan's aide says Apple.  However, I work for HP, and I want to clarify
the above statement about employees being "furloughed".  We are not.
We are being asked to take 3 days' vacation in July, in order to get
that "vacation debt" off the books, and to get people out of the plants
during this slack order time so we can shut off computers, lights, etc.
Thus, the time off is with pay, and nobody's being layed off.  HP has
long had a no-layoff policy that we are quite proud of (and thankful for).
US News and World Report also implied that the time off was without pay,
or was a layoff.  I just want to set the record straight that this is NOT
the case.

<<HP PRIDE ON>>
I guess Reagan should have used HP for his example to emulate.  We've laid
off no one, and shut down no plants, when lots of other companies have.  In
fact, no one has ever lost an HP job as a result of bad times.  A 10% pay cut
perhaps (this happened sometime in the early 70's), but never a job.
<<HP PRIDE OFF - sorry!>>

Bill Gates
HP
Ft. Collins, CO

jrife@fthood (08/12/85)

Define "cheap"

					ihnp4!uiucuxc!fthood!jrife

jlp@.UUCP (01/15/86)

{}
To Reduce Costs:

Consider purchase of a T Pass. These are issued by the T at the end of
every month. There are several varieties, two fo which seem applicable to
you:
    E ( or F) which includes commuter rail fare. It depends on how many
    zones you enter.

    D, which includes the T, and one zone of express/commuter fare.

These passes are fairly cheap. I have a C pass, which is only $36/month.

Consider also in the future that your note and my response would have been
better posted to ne.general, which services the new england area, and
doesn't cause the folks in europe to get mad about an inane boston local
discussion.

Jerryl Payne
...!ihnp4!inmet!faust!jlp

george@sysvis (05/12/86)

>	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
> of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
> create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.  This was done with
> net.coke when new Coke came out (net.coke *did* get removed, didn't it?) so
> why not with this stuff.
>	There have been some suggestions in the past to create a temp
> distribution for this type of stuff; temp.libya would suit me just fine.
> Presumably, the brou-ha will settle down in a few weeks, and we can rmgroup
> it then.

There WAS a group which was specifically made for current events such as
this.  It WAS net.flame.  Current events discussions, etc. took place in
net.flame with regularity.  The problem with creating net.libya is that the
next major event also needs a group, followed by the next, etc.  A simple
revival of net.current.events (the `flame' name was the only real objection
of some, they couldn't get past it.  Net.news would be great but is being
used for other purposes) would solve the problem of other groups filling
with such discussions as those about which you complain.  The word is
"brouhaha" and at least one is always going...on....and on...and on.