[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Emacs and Unix

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/11/90)

In article <2620BBF5.20211@orion.oac.uci.edu> steve@fisher.bio.uci.edu (Steven Frank) writes:
>I am trying to use emacs on a Unix machine when logged in from my PC.
>What terminal emulations will work?  When I try vt100, emacs says that
>this protocol is not powerful enough.  Of those types of terminal
>emulation that do work, are any available in the newest release of
>Kermit?

Sorry that I cannot poinpoint your problem, but kermit vt100 or
rather vt102 emulation does work.  This goes for versions up for
2.32A, and probably earlier.  The reason for posting this
information, is that knowing this, your problem is most probably not
with your terminal emulation, but more Unix settings, which means
that you should consult your system manager.  One possibility is
that you have failed to set the terminal at the *Unix* end of
things.  There is an environment variable you have to set, but I am
not a Unix expert so I do not recall the details.  Please note that
this is partly guesswork based on a gut feeling, and may not be
correct.
   Incidentally, if you use Unix, (m)emacs, and MsKermit, you can
define home, end, pgdn etc keys to work with emacs.  If you are
interested in how, then (/pc/ts/)tskerm24.arc should be of use to
you.
   Perhaps you should pose this question to comp.editors, rather.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)