[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Zip & area code database wanted

DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) (04/09/90)

Does anyone know of a shareware database program that can supply postal
zip code and telephone area code if given the city? How about the opposite?
Thanks.

--Dwaine

raymond@sunkist.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (04/10/90)

In article <90099.044736DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu>
DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
>Does anyone know of a shareware database program that can supply postal
>zip code and telephone area code if given the city? How about the opposite?

This looks like a good opportunity to advertize my SIMTEL20 index server.

If you had sent the command

	lookup (/zip/i||/area/i)&&/code/i

to the server, you'd have received the reply:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ADA>
NAPP.ZIP      B  224000  890829  NASA Ada source code reformatter
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DATABASE>
ZK0789.ARC    B  122037  900120  Zipcode lookup, v1.07, data, 7/89, 2 of 2
ZK107.ARC     B  104295  900120  Zipcode lookup, v1.07, prog & doc, 1 of 2
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DESKACCESS>
AREAFON3.ZIP  B   24013  900402  AREAFON 3.02/Areacodes/Foreign Dial/Citynames
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
UUEXE401.ZIP  B   26715  900315  R.E.Marks' UUdecode/UUencode/XXdecode/XXencode
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>
CONTRIB.ZIP   B   15187  900328  Contributed MINT code for FreEMACS 1.6a editor
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
DEZIP20.UUE   A   23381  891223  uuencoded DEZIP20.COM (ZIP archive extractor)
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZIP>
ANSIKL10.ARC  B   13244  890625  Remove ANSI codes from comments in ZIP files

And the fourth through eighth lines seem to be the programs that you are
looking for.

To obtain a copy of the instructions, send email with the subject
"Command" and with the body consisting of the single word "help" (no
quotation marks) to either

	raymond@math.berkeley.edu		(west coast USA)
or	rjc@math.princeton.edu			(east coast USA)

Choose the site that's closer to you.  You should receive a copy of the
instructions within a few hours.

I repeat:

The subject of the mail must be the word "Command", that's a capital
C, a lowercase "ommand", no quotation marks, no "Re:" in front,
and it has to be the SUBJECT of your mail.  If you fail to follow these
instructions, you will probably get a piece of nasty mail from me, so
consider yourself warned.
--
raymond@math.berkeley.edu     Maintainer of the csip Frequently Asked Questions

georgf@polari.UUCP (George Forsman) (04/11/90)

In article <90099.044736DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu> DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
>Does anyone know of a shareware database program that can supply postal
>zip code and telephone area code if given the city? How about the opposite?
>Thanks.

Yes.  There is ZIPKEY, which is a very good ZIP code finder (both ways). And
there is a file AREAFON3.ZIP in PD1:<msdos.deskaccess> in SIMTEL that
appears to be a AREA code finder.  I am currently awaiting arrival of AREAFON3
so I can compare it to a hack-job areacode finder that I already have.

I'm not certain where ZIPKEY is available, but it is written by Eric Isaacson
(416 E University Ave; Bloomington, IN  47401;  812-339-1811).

>--Dwaine

 -- George
...!uunet!uw-beaver!sumax!polari!georgf