[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Unix-end-of-things z-modem rzsz0511.zoo available

vojta@maypo.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (04/10/90)

In article <12492@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@brl.arpa (Keith Petersen) writes:
>I don't understand why it was necessary to go to an older version
>of rz/sz and dsz.  I use rzsz0525 (1989) on Unix and the latest DSZ on
>MSDOS.  They work just fine.

In addition to the reason mentioned already, newer versions of rzsz are no
longer public domain.  They may be freely distributed but may only be used with
Omen products.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@guinness.ias.edu		  Remember one-line signatures?

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr10.025601.15720@agate.berkeley.edu> vojta@maypo.UUCP (Paul Vojta) writes:
>In addition to the reason mentioned already, newer versions of rzsz are no
>longer public domain.  They may be freely distributed but may only be used with
>Omen products.

Do you mean there ARE versions newer than rzsz0525.zoo?  If so, what do you
mean by your last sentence?  I only use DSZ on my end of things; does that
mean I'm entitled to get a copy of the latest rzsz?

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

In article <1990Apr10.025601.15720@agate.berkeley.edu> vojta@maypo.UUCP (Paul Vojta) writes:

>In addition to the reason mentioned already, newer versions of rzsz are no
>longer public domain.  They may be freely distributed but may only be used with
>Omen products.

And just how is the person installing rzsz on a unix machine supposed to
know whether a dial-up user is going to be using an Omen product or not?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr10.025601.15720@agate.berkeley.edu> vojta@maypo.UUCP (Paul Vojta) writes:
=In addition to the reason mentioned already, newer versions of rzsz are no
=longer public domain.  They may be freely distributed but may only be used with
=Omen products.
=
=--Paul Vojta, vojta@guinness.ias.edu		  Remember one-line signatures?

Are you positive, Paul.  I thought that Chuck told me that these were
now commercial software products.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Eng'g Tech'gy/Comp'r/Math    Mercer College - 1200 Old Trenton Road