[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] mget type ftp downloads from SIMTEL20

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (04/13/90)

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
> 1) Thank you so much for maintaining Simtel! I find i'll get far more
>    programs than I can use, if I'm not carefull.

Thank you.  We've made it even more useful with a recent change that
allows mget to get both ASCII and BINARY(8) files while in the TENEX
mode.  Previous to that change, the text files were useless.  Now they
come across with CRLF end-of-lines if you are in binary mode.  That
doesn't cause problems if you transfer them to your PC in binary mode
so that additional CR characters are not added by Kermit.

> 2) When I "get" individual files, the ".1" extention automatically gets
>    dropped off. When I "mget" many files, the ".1" is included.
>     2A) Is there some way to MGET without getting the ".1" extentions??

Yes, it's a command in your user ftp program.  Add these two lines
before the mget:

case
nmap $1.$2.$3 $1.$2

> If there were a pattern matching/wildcard way to rename files
> in UNIX, it wouldn't be so bad.

I have a program called xxu which will do this.  I'm sending it in my

> 3) Do you care what people use as password during the "anonymous" login?

The passwords are discarded.  Use any non-null character or string.
I recommand GUEST because it's what many other hosts require.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]