[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] is there an archive pgm with an -except flag?

sobol@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Steven Sobol) (04/08/90)

In article <1649@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:

>The other day I needed to archive a large directory, but didn't want to
>include certain files.  Which got me to thinking... is there an archive
>program that takes an "except" argument?

The latest version of PKZip (v1.10) supports an exclude option. If you
need it (or if anyone else needs it) please *EMAIL ME, DO NOT POST TO
C.B.I.P.D!*

Always glad to help,

STEVE SOBOL <SOBOL@UDCPS2.CPS.UDAYTON.EDU> | <STEVEN.SOBOL@AFITAMY.FIDONET.ORG>
 UUCP:!UUNET!DAYVB!{UDCPS3|AFITAMY}!SOBOL  | 318 Founders Hall, Dayton OH 45469
  procedure Standard-Flame: writeln ("People like you make me wanna PUKE!");
 "But Soft- What Yonder Light I See? Tis the Computer Lab. Juliet's at the Sun"

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (04/08/90)

In article <1649@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:

>The other day I needed to archive a large directory, but didn't want to
>include certain files.  Which got me to thinking... is there an archive
>program that takes an "except" argument?

>In my application, it would be used in a batch file; for example,

>	archivecmd -add -except (*.mdx *.dbo) stuff.arc *.*

One generic solution to the problem is to use the 4DOS command.com replacement.
It has an EXCEPT built-in command:

EXCEPT (*.mdx *.dbo) archivecmd -add stuff.arc *.*

will work for any "archivecmd" (or any other command, for that matter).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

(A very happy 4DOS user)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr7.192100.8699@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu> sobol@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Steven Sobol) writes:
>In article <1649@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
>>The other day I needed to archive a large directory, but didn't want to
>>include certain files.  Which got me to thinking... is there an archive
>>program that takes an "except" argument?
>
>The latest version of PKZip (v1.10) supports an exclude option. If you

Right.  And there also is another solution (especially if you are
using some other archiver).  It is a small utility called no.com,
and is used like

   no thisfile.bat pkpak u arch *.bat

It is available by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi as (/pc/pd2/)
no.zip.  As you can figure out, it is useful for other, similar
purposes as well.  What it actually does is to make the file
temporarily hidden for the duration of the command line.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

sobol@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Steven Sobol) (04/09/90)

In article <856@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> msandifo@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Martin Sandiford) writes:
>From article <1649@wjvax.UUCP>, by mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona):
>>
>> The other day I needed to archive a large directory, but didn't want to
>> include certain files.  Which got me to thinking... is there an archive
>> program that takes an "except" argument?
>
>Try -x under pkzip.  Usage is along the lines:
>
>        pkzip file -x*.obj -x*.map -x*.bak -x*.exe
>
>Martin

This only works under PKZip 1.10

Steve

--

kianusch@unicom.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr8.052856.1494@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>>[...] Is there an archive program that takes an "except" argument?
>
>[...] It is a small utility called no.com, [...]

...also there is a easy way to do it in 4Dos... (but I don't know how)

---
	    kianusch@unicom   (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji)   ksk@well
	    {island|acad|pacbell|pixar|r2d2|well}!unicom!kianusch

keshava@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) (04/13/90)

>> In article <1649@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
>>
>>>The other day I needed to archive a large directory, but didn't want to
>>>include certain files.  Which got me to thinking... is there an archive
>>>program that takes an "except" argument?

Since I just started reading this thread, I don't know if this has
already been mentioned.  I remember having this problem a long time
ago and solved it by archiving everything and then writing a batch
file to delete the unwanted files from the archive.

This is convenient only if the number of unwanted files is small and
the names are specifically known.

One of the later pkzip versions has a -x switch to exclude files from
the archive.

                                               Sanjay
                                               ->|<-
                             Student in the UT Graduate School of Business
DARPA: keshava@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            | Graduation Date:  TBD
CSnet: keshava%ccwf@relay.cs.net             | Greetings to fellow Anteaters,
UUCP:  ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!keshava | Trojans, and Longhorns.