[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] mh_sh Shell problem: "cannot execute"

alanf@bruce.OZ (Alan Grant Finlay) (04/13/90)

I have tried to get the recently posted bourne like shell for MS-DOS
to work but it refuses to execute "dir" ...

AHA!, I've just seen the light.  Of course the shell has no knowledge of
command.com internal command names.

Ok, what can I do about it?  Should I write a shell script for each of
the MS-DOS internal commands I want to keep and invoke a fresh
command.com for every invokation?

Did I misunderstand the intended function of this shell?

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (4197,ATTT) (04/13/90)

In article <2039@bruce.OZ> alanf@bruce.OZ (Alan Grant Finlay) writes:
>I have tried to get the recently posted bourne like shell for MS-DOS
>to work but it refuses to execute "dir" ...
... [ stuff deleted ]
>Did I misunderstand the intended function of this shell?

Could be. I your not a Nixi like myself that earns the daily bread using
UNIX you may not appreciate some of the stronger points of sh as a
programming language like true logical expressions in the test command or
the "<<" redirection for shell archives. I use UNIX V during the day and
a PC at home. Due to the high degree of similarity between the Bourne shell
and COMMAND.COM, I have a great deal of problems making the switch. Writing
.BAT files is a pain. Other folks that need to work with both UNIX and MSDOS
have this problem.  Bugs or not Ian's port of the shell is a big step in
the right direction for me.

I suggest we give Ian the debugging support he needs to make ms_sh a mature
tool.

Bob Rager