[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Where can i find a VIRUS FREE virus/trojan hunting program???

woolard@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Mike Woolard) (04/11/90)

I have been reading several articles here in Las Vegas on various BBS's
that say "beware of this 'virus in disguise'...."

Where can i get a powerful screening program that i can be sure it is
not infected itself?

Thanks.....this computer disease stuff really has me bugged.

Mike
woolard@uns-helios.uucp
woolard@uns-helios.nevada.edu

dmm0t@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Meyer) (04/12/90)

In article <1545@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> @uns-helios.uucp (Mike Woolard) writes:
>I have been reading several articles here in Las Vegas on various BBS's
>that say "beware of this 'virus in disguise'...."
>
>Where can i get a powerful screening program that i can be sure it is
>not infected itself?
>
>Thanks.....this computer disease stuff really has me bugged.

There are two ways of being pretty sure that you're getting "clean"
software.
	1) Download it from SIMTEL20.  According to what I've heard,
everything on SIMTEL20 has been checked over for viruses, etc.

	2) Find a BBS with a sysop you trust, and get stuff from there.
Ask sysops whether or not they screen stuff.

Both methods have worked fine for me.  Also, SCANV61.ZIP, which is
on SIMTEL20 under PD1:<msdos.virus-pro> will check programs for most
of the common viruses.  I always check everything I download, and once
a month or so check my entire hard drive.

Dave
P.S.  I'm not positive about that directory on SIMTEL20.  The directory
is definitely there, but I may have the name wrong.

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (04/14/90)

>In article <1545@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> @uns-helios.uucp (Mike Woolard) writes:
>>I have been reading several articles here in Las Vegas on various BBS's
>>that say "beware of this 'virus in disguise'...."
>>
>>Where can i get a powerful screening program that i can be sure it is
>>not infected itself?

Sorry, I can't leave this one alone! :-)  A fairly recent "Mathematical
Monthly" (Math. Assoc. of America - some 1990 issue) contains a proof that
no such screening program can exist.  That is, if a program can test for
every virus then it cannot guarantee it's own health.

I know this is of NO help (I saw that at least one person was kind enough
to point you in the right direction, so I figured I could be a jerk and get
away with it) however the article is pretty fun (in my own nerdy sense of
fun).

--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP