[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] What TSR mean ?

hthomas@presto.irisa.fr (Henry Thomas) (04/08/90)

	Hello, I'm new to PC groups and all is ok for ftp and so on. But I
don't understand what TSR means. Is it Turbo (Pascal ) SouRces ?
For instance, on SIMTEL20 file <PD1>:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>"Go TSR in Turbo Pas 3.0".
I'm baffled !
Thanks for any help.

	Henry.

--
Henry Thomas - API Team                         Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr (hthomas)
IRISA Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu          35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE

levitte@garbo.bion.kth.se (Tommy Levitte) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr8.123708.15091@irisa.fr> hthomas@presto.irisa.fr (Henry Thomas) writes:
Henry> Sender: news@irisa.fr

Henry> 	Hello, I'm new to PC groups and all is ok for ftp and so on. But I
Henry> don't understand what TSR means. Is it Turbo (Pascal ) SouRces ?
Henry> For instance, on SIMTEL20 file <PD1>:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>"Go TSR in Turbo Pas 3.0".
Henry> I'm baffled !
Henry> Thanks for any help.

TSR = Terminate and Stay Resident.

TSR programs are programs which get loaded into memory, and stay there to run
in the background. Usually they are activated with some specific keystroke or
some interrupt.

--
!+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!
! Tommy Levitte                         ! tel: int+46-8-790 64 23           !

donegan@stanton.UUCP (Steven P. Donegan) (04/12/90)

In article <LEVITTE.90Apr8173131@garbo.bion.kth.se>, levitte@garbo.bion.kth.se (Tommy Levitte) writes:

> TSR = Terminate and Stay Resident.

Due to the nature of problems that occur with TSR's my definition of TSR is:

Terminate and Stay Radioactive

This is intended as a smiley - I hate Maybe SomeDay an Operating System and
feel all these attempts to turn a sows ear into a silk purse via nifty
programming tricks like TSR's should be avoided. If you need to run MSDOS
programs then don't pervert your systems basic design by TSR's. You WILL
eventually regret doing so. If you want a multi-tasking or event-driven
system on your hardware then buy one that was designed for your requirements.

--
Steven P. Donegan (stanton!donegan)
Area Telecommunications Engineer

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (04/15/90)

In article <4080@stanton.UUCP> donegan@stanton.UUCP (Steven P. Donegan) writes:
>In article <LEVITTE.90Apr8173131@garbo.bion.kth.se>, levitte@garbo.bion.kth.se (Tommy Levitte) writes:
>If you need to run MSDOS
>programs then don't pervert your systems basic design by TSR's. You WILL
>eventually regret doing so. If you want a multi-tasking or event-driven
>system on your hardware then buy one that was designed for your requirements.

Even though this was originally intended as a :-), I felt I would
respond.

Many TSR's do not try to provide pseudo-multitasking.  For example,
Borland's Sidekick.  You can pop up a calculator, calendar, telephone
directory and dialer, ascii table, or an editor with a couple of special
keys.  This provides (for the poor MSDOS user) what users of windowing
systems have.  I find that most of the time when I pop up one of these
utilities, I don't really need multitasking capabilities.

Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6      kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh