[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Is "gcc" available for MS-DOS?

genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu (Jan K. Genemans) (05/25/90)

    A friend who just got a job in which he has to use "C" in a MS-DOS
environment wants to know if UNIX based GNU project "C" Compiler (gcc)
has been ported to the MS-DOS environment (like GAWK for instance).  I
have already scanned the simtel20 archive for it and couldn't find it.
If there is an implementation where can it be obtained?  Any anonymous
ftp site and/or bbs would be helpful.

    Thanks.

--
Jan Genemans | USENET:  genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu
U.S.M.M.A.   | UUCP: ...!dartvax!mac.dartmouth.edu!genemans

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (05/26/90)

In article <22285@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu (Jan K. Genemans) writes:
jan>        A friend who just got a job in which he has to use "C" in a MS-DOS
jan>    environment wants to know if UNIX based GNU project "C" Compiler (gcc)
jan>    has been ported to the MS-DOS environment (like GAWK for instance).  I

jan>    --
jan>    Jan Genemans | USENET:  genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu
jan>    U.S.M.M.A.   | UUCP: ...!dartvax!mac.dartmouth.edu!genemans

GCC suppoces, that your machine has 32-bit integer and linear memory (or
something). Since 80386 has this, it is possible to develope a 386 GCC. GCC
for 386 UNIX quite straight forward implementation, but I read from something
(comp.gnu.gcc ?)  that there are at least two versions of GCC for MSDOS, one
using some 386 extension environment and another which has it builtin.
--
Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi

jja@etana.tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (05/27/90)

From article <AV.90May26131925@kielo.uta.fi>, by av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen):
> In article <22285@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu (Jan K. Genemans) writes:
> jan>        A friend who just got a job in which he has to use "C" in a MS-DOS
> jan>    environment wants to know if UNIX based GNU project "C" Compiler (gcc)
> jan>    has been ported to the MS-DOS environment (like GAWK for instance).  I

> GCC suppoces, that your machine has 32-bit integer and linear memory (or
> something). Since 80386 has this, it is possible to develope a 386 GCC. GCC
> for 386 UNIX quite straight forward implementation, but I read from something
> (comp.gnu.gcc ?)  that there are at least two versions of GCC for MSDOS, one
> using some 386 extension environment and another which has it builtin.
> --

Yes, it has been done. Contact the author: mjr@tut.fi

-jja
Jari 'jja' Ahola      |Tampere University of Technology, Signal Processing Lab
Opiskelijankatu 16A12 |P.O. Box 527, 33101 Tampere, Finland
33720 Tampere, Finland|Tel (intl) 358 31 162708 (work)/358 31 174009 (home)
Puh. 931-174009       |Net address: jja@tut.fi, AHOLA@FINTUTA (BITNET), bix:jja