[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] .taz

joel@techunix.BITNET (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) (05/25/90)

I suppose .taz is a new kind of archiving scheme.  Anyone know
where I can find a decoder?  Please respond by e-mail.

Thanks.

-Joel
(joel@techunix.technion.ac.il -or- joel@techunix.BITNET)
--

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (05/26/90)

In article <9677@discus.technion.ac.il> joel%techunix.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) writes:
>I suppose .taz is a new kind of archiving scheme.  Anyone know
>where I can find a decoder?  Please respond by e-mail.

Maybe .taz is mapped to a DOS filename from .tar.Z on UNIX.  If this
is the case then it is a compressed tar file.  Try this:

	zcat file.taz | tar tvf -

If it is a compressed tar file then the above will type a verbose
listing of the archive.  Of course the above will work only if you
have zcat (or compress/uncompress) and tar on your system.  They
should be on most if not all UNIX systems.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May25.190425.14437@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
 > In article <9677@discus.technion.ac.il> joel%techunix.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) writes:
 > >I suppose .taz is a new kind of archiving scheme.  Anyone know
 > >where I can find a decoder?  Please respond by e-mail.
 >
 > Maybe .taz is mapped to a DOS filename from .tar.Z on UNIX.  If this
 > is the case then it is a compressed tar file.  Try this:
 >
 > 	zcat file.taz | tar tvf -

Small correction.  If this is true the following command helps:
	zcat <file.taz | tar tvf -
(zcat looks whether the filename ends in .Z unless it reads from
standard input.)
dik@cwi.nl

hyeom@cs.tamu.edu (Heon Y Yeom) (05/31/90)

O.K.
I know I can use zcat or uncompress on UNIX machine for the
compressed tar files or plane compressed files.
There's also a program to read tar files on MSDOS machine.
Is there a program to uncompress/compress/zcat on PC ?

hyeom@cssun.tamu.edu