[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Emergency IBM help needed!!!!!

bower@hfsi.UUCP (Michael Bower Comm. ) (05/25/90)

In article <14278@thorin.cs.unc.edu> hardarso@unc.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) writes:
>It seems to me you should look at a product named the Brooklyn Bridge.
>It is related to Laplink, except it uses the Serial port instead of
>the parallell port. It does this at a faster rate than the official
>rate of 19.200 baud. What the speed is I don't know, but the transfer
>goes faster than copying the same amount of data from a hardisk to a
>floppy so it must be pretty fast. Only disadvantage is: IBM PS/2 models

For the record:
Brooklyn Bridge runs over either the parallel or serial cable.  If you
use parallel, you get 500,000+ bps.  If you use the serial port, you
get up 115,600 bps.  The serial cable is a regular "null-modem/turn-
around" cable.  The parallel cable (supplied with BB) is a special cable
although it wouldn't be hard to make.  (BB supplies both cables.)

Laplink II runs only on the serial port with speeds up to 115,600.
I think LapLink III runs on both serial and parallel.  Recently,
PC Magazine ran a comparison but I don't remember the details or how
far back in time that was.

BB also comes with some nice features.  You can run there filer
program or your own.  You basically set it up so that drives
ABC on one machine become DEF on another and various configurations.

Michael Bower - N4NMR              Honeywell Federal Systems Inc.
e-mail: uunet!hfsi!bower                     7900 Westpark Drive.
phone:(h) 703-435-5081  (o) 703-827-3559         McLean, VA 22102

pabres13@pc.usl.edu (0852 Joubert John V.) (05/25/90)

In article <14278@thorin.cs.unc.edu> hardarso@unc.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) writes:
>It seems to me you should look at a product named the Brooklyn Bridge.
>It is related to Laplink, except it uses the Serial port instead of
>the parallell port. It does this at a faster rate than the official
>rate of 19.200 baud.
>Only disadvantage is: IBM PS/2 models
>50 and upwards cannot use this high speed mode of the serial chip. It will
>work with model 30 though.
>Kari Hardarson
>217 Jackson Circle
>27514 Chapel Hill, NC

I have used Brooklyn Bridge from 5th Generation Systems (makers of Fastback),
and I agree that it is a very nice product.  However, in the above article it
was stated that it used the serial port instead of the parallel port, not true,
Brooklyn Bridge (the version I have anyway) uses either the serial or the
parallel port, your choice.  And, naturally, since it has more lines, the
parallel port method runs much faster than the serial port method.  I have had
no trouble using it at full speed through the parallel port on the IBM PS/2
model 30 and 30/286's.  Very nice program, good recommendation.

--
John Joubert                                      |  /\  |    /\    |     _
Internet: pabres13@pc.usl.edu                     |  \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (05/27/90)

In article <7843@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Komatsu) writes:

> I need to move a LARGE chunk of files from an IBM PC-AT to a IBM PS/2

S/he seems to have missed the obvious..

Remove AT hard disk drive.
Fit it in PS/2 as drive 2.
copy d:\foo.bar c:

for LARGE chunks, there's no faster way..

Dave E.

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (05/28/90)

In article <660@marvin.moncam.co.uk> emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:
>In article <7843@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Komatsu) writes:
>>
>> I need to move a LARGE chunk of files from an IBM PC-AT to a IBM PS/2
>
>S/he seems to have missed the obvious..
>
>Remove AT hard disk drive.
>Fit it in PS/2 as drive 2.
>copy d:\foo.bar c:
>
>for LARGE chunks, there's no faster way..
>

>Dave E.

The above certainly "sounds" obvious, but can it be "done" obviously?
I am not talking about the physical size of a hard drive (you probably
don't want to fit the AT drive into a PS/2, close the cover, screw and
secure everything to do the copying and afterwards open up the machine
again to get the HD out 'cause that's stupid), what I mean is can you
grab an AT hard disk (any hard disk) and simply stick it into the
PS/2 controller? As far as I remember, for a PS/2 Model 50z, the hard
drive plugs right into the ESDI controller card. There is no cable
or anything, not to mention a spare one for a second drive. I am not
sure if you can have more than one drive in some of the PS/2 models either.

If it can really be done, can you post/e-mail more details as to how
exactly one would do the thing you suggested?

Andy

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (05/31/90)

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:

>In article <7843@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Komatsu) writes:
>>
>> I need to move a LARGE chunk of files from an IBM PC-AT to a IBM PS/2

Answer : Run a Comms package on BOTH machines, connect them together with a
serial cable, then transfer the files that way.

Now, that's the general answer, now here's some specifics :

	Use Procomm on both systems (Comms program).  On the 'AT' set Procomm
	into 'HOST MODE', 'DIRECT' connect.  On the 'PS/2' (Ugh, fire him :-)),
	use Procomm to access the 'AT' as a direct connection, NOT a modem link.

	Doing it this way you can then use any one of the various file transfer
	protocols available within Procomm.  It is possible to use 'wildcard'
	characters when using the Kermit protocol.

	So, set you 'AT' directory, set you 'PS/2' directory, setup for Kermit
	tranfser using : "*.*" as the file to copy, then go home. :-)

>S/he seems to have missed the obvious..

>Remove AT hard disk drive.
>Fit it in PS/2 as drive 2.
>copy d:\foo.bar c:

>for LARGE chunks, there's no faster way..

I agree that this is THE fastest way to do it, however, it is NOT possible.
The PS/2 is NOT hardware compatible, so you can NOT plug your 'AT' hard disk
controller into it.  Without it, you can not access the data that resides
on the drive.  The PS/2 controller accesses date on a hard disk in a different
way to the 'AT's' controller.  So, whether or not you can even physically
connect the 'AT' HDD to the PS/2 HDD controller, it won't matter.

NOTE: Kermit for the PC, or for that matter any decent comms program, could
      be used instead of Procomm.
      There are a number of commercial products specially designed for this
      sort of job.  Many of them are probably easier to use and fast in
      transfering files than what I have proposed, however, they cost money.

      (;-])

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (06/01/90)

Further to my previous followup posting :

There is a product called : "Hot Wire" - File transfer & Disk management.

Contact the developers : Datastorm Technologies, Inc.
			 3212 Lemone Blvd.,
			 (P.O. Box 1471)
			 Columbia, MO 65205

			 Phone : 1-314-443-3282
			 Fax   : 1-314-875-0595

This product is written specifically to solve the problem of file transfer
between two systems.  It comes with :

	- Software on 3.5" & 5.25" diskettes,
	- Special 7' "four-headed" universal null modem cable with twin 9 and
	  25 pin connectors,
	- Simple installation program, and
	- 288 page manual with tutorial.

It's obviously not free, but it sounds good.  Give them a call.  If you should
buy it, would you please post an evaluation of it?  I'm sure that there are
others who would be interrested. :-)