[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v06i186: heditor, hex file editor

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (05/30/90)

In article <1042@sixhub.UUCP>, ibmbin-request@crdgw1.crd.ge.com wrote:
>Posting-number: Volume 06, Issue 186
>Submitted-by: metaware!tte@uunet.uu.net
>Archive-name: heditor/part01
>  Here's the hex editor with doc and everything else. It a full screen,
>full colored with partial mouse support hexadecimal editor. It allows
>searches for strings, has a pop up programmer's calculator, will break
>up fields in structure if you supply a structure file and allows you to
>edit a file both in ASCII and hex.

Has anyone got this program running on a 4.77MHz DOS 2.1 machine?

On mine, I get a "divide by 0" error from the run-time library as
soon as the program starts.  This is on a bare machine with no
CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, and thus no TSR's.

If I load my "keyboard type-ahead buffer extender" TSR first, things
will go even worse -- the machine will just lock up as soon as the
program starts, with what seems to be an inverse block cursor at the
top-left corner of the screen.

By the way, the machine in question has an original (old) PC keyboard.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (05/30/90)

+++>>>Here's the hex editor with doc and everything else. It a full screen,
+++>>>full colored with partial mouse support hexadecimal editor. It allows....
+++
+++Has anyone got this program running on a 4.77MHz DOS 2.1 machine?
+++On mine, I get a "divide by 0" error from the run-time library as
+++soon as the program starts......

I, too, experienced strange behavior on start-up (A large block cursor
appeared in the upper left corner of the screen, and the program immediately
terminated).

It seems that you have to provide a filename on the command line.  When I
do that, the editor starts up and displays the named file.

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (05/31/90)

 hope it's harmless at least....

tte@metaware.metaware.com (Thuan-Tit Ewe) (05/31/90)

In article <440@van-bc.UUCP> Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>Has anyone got this program running on a 4.77MHz DOS 2.1 machine?
>
>On mine, I get a "divide by 0" error from the run-time library as
>soon as the program starts.  This is on a bare machine with no
>CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, and thus no TSR's.
>
>If I load my "keyboard type-ahead buffer extender" TSR first, things
>will go even worse -- the machine will just lock up as soon as the
>program starts, with what seems to be an inverse block cursor at the
>top-left corner of the screen.
>
>By the way, the machine in question has an original (old) PC keyboard.
>
>...Sam

I'm the author of the said program and I've never seen the problem you've
mentioned on any of the computers I've tried.

If possible try using a later version of DOS and also supply a file which you
want to edit on the command line to heditor, like:

C>heditor foo.bar

Heditor will come up and if it doesn't find a filename to edit, just
quits without a word. I'll fix.

In article <11150@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> somebody wrote:

> hope it's harmless at least....

as a puppy.

-thuan
---
The opinion expressed above are not those of MetaWare Inc.

Thuan-Tit Ewe
tte@metaware.com
{uunet|ucscc|acad}!metaware!tte

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (06/01/90)

It would be nice to be able to patch directories, etc, which are not
actual FILES.
  Yes,  C> heditor foo.bar
did activate the program. I had not RTFM, but had assume some
message would print out.
Clarence Wilkerson

reeves@dvinci.usask.ca (Malcolm Reeves) (06/01/90)

From article <12630033@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, by swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold):
> +++>>>Here's the hex editor with doc and everything else. It a full screen,
> +++>>>full colored with partial mouse support hexadecimal editor. It allows....
> +++
> +++Has anyone got this program running on a 4.77MHz DOS 2.1 machine?
> +++On mine, I get a "divide by 0" error from the run-time library as
> +++soon as the program starts......
>
> I, too, experienced strange behavior on start-up (A large block cursor
> appeared in the upper left corner of the screen, and the program immediately
> terminated).
>
> It seems that you have to provide a filename on the command line.  When I
> do that, the editor starts up and displays the named file.

I had problems with decoding this posting so I attributed the strange behaviour
to a glitch in the encode-decode cycle - Maybe we need a repost??.

In article <12630033@hpcupt1.HP.COM> swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:

| It seems that you have to provide a filename on the command line.  When I
| do that, the editor starts up and displays the named file.

  It seems that your moderator check to see if if worked, but not that
it failed gracefully. Glad someone found this, I was beginning to wonder
how I ever passed it on.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (06/01/90)

In article <12630033@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) wrote:
>>... I get a "divide by 0" error from the run-time library as
>>soon as the program starts...
>It seems that you have to provide a filename on the command line.  When I
>do that, the editor starts up and displays the named file.

When I ran it with a file name on the command line, it will display the
first screen, but it *still* exits with a "dividsion by zero" error after
that.

(This is happening on a 4.77 MHz DOS 2.1 PC with no CONFIG.SYS nor
AUTOEXEC.BAT, and thus no TSR's loaded.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks very much for your time.

...Sam
--