[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] pro-comm copy

leadpipe@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/27/90)

pro-comm wanted
I hear much ado aboutt pro-comm over Kermit.  Can this be!  Any body
got a copy.  I'll look in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I was told about
it through my hardware dealer.  No other category even talks about
pro-comm so hope this right place as I am new at this.  Thanks in advance!

bolte@exunido.uucp (Dirk Bolte) (05/28/90)

In article <24581.265f0ec5@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> leadpipe@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>pro-comm wanted
>I hear much ado aboutt pro-comm over Kermit.  Can this be!  Any body
>got a copy.  I'll look in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I was told about

I would also be thankful about a PROCOMM-Posting or a hint, where
I can download this.

Bye.   Dirk.

rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (05/29/90)

In article <2203@laura.UUCP> bolte@exunido.UUCP (Dirk Bolte) writes:
>In article <24581.265f0ec5@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> leadpipe@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>pro-comm wanted
>>I hear much ado aboutt pro-comm over Kermit.  Can this be!  Any body
>>got a copy.  I'll look in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I was told about
>I would also be thankful about a PROCOMM-Posting or a hint, where
>I can download this.
>
>Bye.   Dirk.

Sorry, guys but PROCOMM is no longer sold as shareware.  The latest
version is PROCOMM PLUS 1.1B and is sold in regular commercial outlets.
It is far superior to Kermit, but it isn't even close to free.
Perhaps someone in netland has one of the old shareware version they
might part with... I wonder about the legality of further distribution
on BBS or FTP.

-----------------------------------------------------------       ^
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>           | |
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts,        | |
Graduate School of Business |     and you can't have them,      <   >
Bloomington                 |     so there! */                    X
___________________________________________________________       X

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (05/29/90)

In article <45944@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
>In article <2203@laura.UUCP> bolte@exunido.UUCP (Dirk Bolte) writes:
>>In article <24581.265f0ec5@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> leadpipe@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>>pro-comm wanted
>>>I hear much ado aboutt pro-comm over Kermit.  Can this be!  Any body
>>>got a copy.  I'll look in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I was told about
>>I would also be thankful about a PROCOMM-Posting or a hint, where
>>I can download this.
>>
>>Bye.   Dirk.
>
>Sorry, guys but PROCOMM is no longer sold as shareware.  The latest
>version is PROCOMM PLUS 1.1B and is sold in regular commercial outlets.
>It is far superior to Kermit, but it isn't even close to free.
>Perhaps someone in netland has one of the old shareware version they
>might part with... I wonder about the legality of further distribution
>on BBS or FTP.

PROCOMM *is* available along with *scads* of utility programs
to use with it in the SIMTEL archives. Anonymous ftp to 26.2.0.74
and cd to the directory:

	PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM>

and in tenex mode, do an mget on PRCM*.ARC. This will get the
three files that make up Shareware version 2.43.
	A ProCommPlus Test drive package is also there. PRCMPTD.*
I think. Do a dir to see.

	NOTE CAREFULLY the 2's in the directory given above.
It ain't in PD1 - it's PD2; and it's MSDOS2, not MSDOS.
Do it careful and you'll find just a whole bunch of stuff
for PROCOMM. I think a lot of people lost track of this PROCOMM
stuff when the directory was changed from pd1:
	Since I haven't used it, I don't know about ProCommPlus,
but the Shareware ProComm version is *great* software.

Good luck, all.

Bob Davis			 \\\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation, ESS		  \\\	 UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny
Advanced Technology Department	   \\\ AETHER : K4VNO
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		    \\\	VOICE : (407) 727-5886
Melbourne, FL 32902		     \\\  FAX : (407) 729-2537

daj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (David A. Johns) (05/29/90)

In article <45944@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:

>Sorry, guys but PROCOMM is no longer sold as shareware.  The latest
>version is PROCOMM PLUS 1.1B and is sold in regular commercial outlets.
>It is far superior to Kermit, but it isn't even close to free.
>Perhaps someone in netland has one of the old shareware version they
>might part with... I wonder about the legality of further distribution
>on BBS or FTP.
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------       ^
>Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>           | |
>Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts,        | |
>Graduate School of Business |     and you can't have them,      <   >
>Bloomington                 |     so there! */                    X
>___________________________________________________________       X

There are actually two and a half versions of Procomm.  Procomm Plus is
indeed commercial.  There is a file called Procomm Plus TD (for test drive)
that's available on most BBSes which is a slightly crippled version with
no real manual.  It's intended to give you a taste, but some people
probably use it as their main comm program.  There is also Procomm 2.4.3,
which is the old shareware version of the program, considerably less
sophisticated than Procomm Plus, but still used by a lot of people.  It
must still be supported, because the 2.4.3 version appeared (as an update
to 2.4.2) well after Procomm Plus was released.

Procomm 2.4.3 is available on Simtel (pd2:<msdos.procomm>, three files)
and on most BBSes.

In any case, if you're looking for shareware, you'd be better off going
with Telix or QModem, both of which are much better than Procomm 2.4.3
and probably better than Procomm Plus.  They are also available wherever
good shareware is found.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/29/90)

rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
> Sorry, guys but PROCOMM is no longer sold as shareware.  The latest
> version is PROCOMM PLUS 1.1B and is sold in regular commercial outlets.

Bzzzt!  Wrong.

True, PROCOMM PLUS v1.1B is commercial software.  But there still
exists a shareware version, PROCOMM PLUS TEST DRIVE v1.1B, which
you are allowed to use for the standard 30 days or whatever.
If you like it, you're supposed to buy the commercial version.

(Of course, one wonders why you would even want to use Procomm when
there exists a superior program, Telix, but we're not discussing
that now.)

--
Marc Unangst                           | "It is dangerous to be right when
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us    | the government is wrong."

steve@taumet.COM (Stephen Clamage) (05/29/90)

PROCOMM is a product of DataStorm Technologies, PO Box 1471,
Columbia MO 65205, (314) 443-3282.  It is generally available
(version 2.4.2) as shareware on bulletin boards around the country, and
possibly from your local computer store.  You might try the DataStorm
bulletin board at (314) 875-0503.

There is a supported commercial version called PROCOMM Plus available
at a street price in the $50 to $75 range.

I have no connection with DataStorm, but I have been a registered user
of the the shareware version for several years.

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (05/31/90)

Contact : Datastorm Technologies, Inc.
	  3212 Lemone Blvd.,
	  Columbia, MO 65205

	  P.O. Box 1471.

	  Phone : 1-314-443-3282
	  Fax   : 1-314-875-0595

They developed the product.  There is also 'Procomm Plus' and 'Hot Wire' from
the same company.

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (06/02/90)

>In article <2203@laura.UUCP> bolte@exunido.UUCP (Dirk Bolte) writes:
>>In article <24581.265f0ec5@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> leadpipe@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>>pro-comm wanted
>>>I hear much ado aboutt pro-comm over Kermit.  Can this be!  Any body
>>>got a copy.  I'll look in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I was told about
>>I would also be thankful about a PROCOMM-Posting or a hint, where
>>I can download this.
>>
>>Bye.   Dirk.
>
>Sorry, guys but PROCOMM is no longer sold as shareware.

Hmmmmmm, well guys.  There IS a version of Procomm called ProComm Plus, that is
proprietary, but there's also a ShareWare version called PROCOMM 2.43.  I think
that it's available from SimTel20.

Yeah, it's in PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM>PRCM243.ARC, and there's a PRCM243D.ARC for
the docs, and PRCM243U.ARC for some extra utilities...  OK?

Or remember, you can ALMOST ALWAYS send an email to the listserv@vm1.nodak.edu
with the following message, and they'll mail it to ya:

/PDGET MAIL PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM>PRCM243.ARC UUENCODE
/PDGET MAIL PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM>PRCM243D.ARC UUENCODE
/PDGET MAIL PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM>PRCM243U.ARC UUENCODE

Enjoy!
:)

 Jim Dunn c/o DSAC-OLC, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002   (614) 238-9713
 Internet: jimdunn@dsac.dla.mil  [131.78.1.1]   FAX: 238-9936  AutoVon 850-9713
 UUCP: ...!osu-cis!dsac!jimdunn    DLA Systems Automations Center, Columbus, OH
 God-Jesus-Holy_Spirit-Universe-Milky_Way-SOL_III-Earth-USA-DoD-DSAC-OLC-Me! :)