[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Make Kermit Hangup!!

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (06/01/90)

Once again, I'm having minor problems with Kermit.  There are
times when I would simply like to drop the line.  I have tried the
obvious "hangup" wihtout a shred of success.  Kermit always replies
with "the connection should have hung up" but it never does.  I'm pretty
sure that DTR is not "forced" on.  So what gives?  By the way, this is
Kermit 3.0.

Post or email, it matters not to me. (But thanks)

--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/02/90)

In a recent article arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) writes:
>Once again, I'm having minor problems with Kermit.  There are
>times when I would simply like to drop the line.  I have tried the
>obvious "hangup" wihtout a shred of success.  Kermit always replies
>with "the connection should have hung up" but it never does.  I'm pretty
>sure that DTR is not "forced" on.  So what gives?  By the way, this is
>Kermit 3.0.

I checked the PC's on my desk with KERMIT 3.01; it correctly drops
DTR with either the HANGUP command (from keyboard -or- a TAKE file) or
the ALT-H-H sequence.  With the HANGUP command DTR stays down
until the Connect command is again issued; with ALT-H-H DTR returns
to life after a few hundred msec.  In either case KERMIT has correctly
responded to the hang-up order.

(I'm watching an in-line LED monitor, so I can watch DTR bounce.)

I suspect that your modem isn't watching DTR.  Most modems can be configured
to ignroe the modem-control leads; if this is the case you can't put the
modem on-hook from the PC.