[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Telemate

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (06/01/90)

I have been an enthusiastic Telix user for over 2 years, and I
strongly agree that Telix is a stronger communications package than
Procomm is.  (Although I have heard that the VT100 emulation in
Procomm is better.)

However, Telemate version 2.11 seems to have an awful lot going for
it.  I am currently experimenting with it...while the script language
isn't as advanced as Telix's, it "multitasks" very effectively within
its own environment.  While uploading or downloading with any of the
popular, built-in protocols, you can flip between the built-in editor,
file viewer, backscroll screens, setup screens, and dialing directory.
You can even shell to DOS, although the packets seem to stop
transmitting during this.  The integration of all these screens is
practically seamless in this package.  Internal and external macros
are fast and easy...The true test will be in a multitasking
environment.  Telemate claims to be DesqView friendly, and I plan to
test this out next.  But for now, it looks like an EXCELLENT comm
program!  It can use extended and expanded memory (if you do this,
Telemate ends up taking the same amount of conventional memory as
Telix does, more or less).  There are also some neat features like an
array of alarm songs to choose from, variable screen heights, and a
very high level of customizability!

Please let me know if anyone finds any other good (or bad) points
about Telemate...Just make sure you have the current version!  I
believe previous versions of this program were a little buggy.
--
Adam Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)                          C:\> alp

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Ender Wiggin) (06/02/90)

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

> [about Telemate:]
> very high level of customizability!

Does this include the ability to remap the keyboard for, e.g., Procomm
compatibility?  In my (admittedly brief) once-over of Telix, there didn't
seem to be any way to do this; anybody know for sure?

rjlewis@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Richard J. Lewis, Jr. - Hacker@Large) (06/02/90)

In article <Jun.1.12.32.17.1990.20220@caip.rutgers.edu>, porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:
[STUFF DELETED]

> However, Telemate version 2.11 seems to have an awful lot going for
> it.  I am currently experimenting with it...while the script language
[STUFF DELETED]
> Please let me know if anyone finds any other good (or bad) points
> about Telemate...Just make sure you have the current version!  I
> believe previous versions of this program were a little buggy.
> --
> Adam Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)                          C:\> alp

  ARGH!  Telemate sounds GREAT from your description, but you told us
nothing about where we can find it, if it is commercial, or what the
current version -IS-.  Without this information, you post is just a tease!
;-)

  If anyone knows where to get telemate, or any of the other info I'd like
to know, please speak up.  I couldn't find it on any local boards or on
SIMTEL.  (Which is odd, if it's good and PD or shareware...)

Thanks.
--
   __                   Rich Lewis
  /  )              /   rjlewis@MIAVX1.acs.muohio.edu

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (06/04/90)

In article <1502.2666e8ad@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, rjlewis@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Richard J. Lewis, Jr. - Hacker@Large) writes:
>   If anyone knows where to get telemate, or any of the other info I'd like
> to know, please speak up.  I couldn't find it on any local boards or on
> SIMTEL.  (Which is odd, if it's good and PD or shareware...)

It is on simtel, and if you had just read Keith's monthly upload posting
you'd have seen that 2.11 is now in pd2:<msdos2.modem>.

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +

glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford) (06/04/90)

My experience with telemate was flat. I could not get it to work at all. As
soon as i configured and entered the program it made my system hang!

Glenn Ford
BBS  301-972-6131
HOME 301-972-2310
UUCP ..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

felixc@cbnewsj.att.com (felix.cabral) (06/05/90)

In article <Jun.1.12.32.17.1990.20220@caip.rutgers.edu> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

>I have been an enthusiastic Telix user for over 2 years, and I
>strongly agree that Telix is a stronger communications package than
>Procomm is.  (Although I have heard that the VT100 emulation in
>Procomm is better.)

I have Procomm+ 1b or b1 I forget. In either case its the one you buy at a
shop not the shareware version. I've been hoping to get vt100 emulation on
this guy for some time now. It does not support vt100 by default. Is there
a patch available that will add vt100 to my copy?

--
Felix Cabral         {felixc@mtgzz.att.com}      "Just give me a rad
AT&T Bell Labs       {  att!mtgzz!felixc  }       wave, a rad board and

wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) (06/05/90)

In article <875@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford) writes:

>My experience with telemate was flat. I could not get it to work at all. As
>soon as i configured and entered the program it made my system hang!

Well, I downloaded it two days ago, and it just worked fine.
Installation was extremely easy.
BTW, you should have 500K available memory to run it. So check it first.
One problem is that I had to choose 'kermit protocol' whenever I up/down-load.
But I think it should be automated by a short script. Has anyone done this ?
I am still reading the manual but I think it is a very good communication
program - worth while to buy.

>Glenn Ford
>BBS  301-972-6131
>HOME 301-972-2310
>UUCP ..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

---------
W. Jin

pwilliam@axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Williams) (06/06/90)

In article <6462@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
(Ender Wiggin) writes:
> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:
>
> > [about Telemate:]
> > very high level of customizability!
>
> Does this include the ability to remap the keyboard for, e.g., Procomm
> compatibility?  In my (admittedly brief) once-over of Telix, there didn't
> seem to be any way to do this; anybody know for sure?

I wouldn't mind trying Telemate - I must try and figure out how to use
the EARN listserver in Europe - I can't remote FTP and haven't yet had
time to figure out how to get the mailer to accept an earn trickle
address - help apreciated. :-)

But that was an aside .. I started some years ago using Procomm and am
now on to Procomm Plus - a very good program. Recently I got hold of
Telix 3.12 and have found it much better than procomm in most respects -
most of the alt key sequences are the same as procomm and yes you can
remap the keyboard just like procomm. The built in ZMODEM of Telix is
just great. The kermit isn't so good - I have been unable to get it
working to my Telecom Gold (Dialcom in the states?) e-mail box whereas
the procomm kermit works fine. However, Telecom gold is a little
tempremental - I can get XMODEM or YMODEM working either!! The ONLY
thing that works is Procomm's kermit :-)

P M Williams                                pwilliams@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3131 British Telecom Research Labs
Martlesham Heath                           'Phone 0473-642770
IPSWICH Suffolk UK           Message Pager 4226754 (bureau 0345 333111)

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds .....
						Ralph Waldo Emmerson
From: pwilliam@axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Williams)

water@wheaton.UUCP (Paul Waterman) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun5.134457.25492@cbnewsj.att.com> felixc@cbnewsj.att.com (felix.cabral) writes:
>I have Procomm+ 1b or b1 I forget. In either case its the one you buy at a
>shop not the shareware version. I've been hoping to get vt100 emulation on
>this guy for some time now. It does not support vt100 by default. Is there
>a patch available that will add vt100 to my copy?

Have you tried looking at the available terminal emulations available?  Yes,
it is true that PCOM+ doesn't support "vt100," but it does support "vt102,"
which is really the same thing.

DEC went through a series of terminals very quickly, starting with the vt100,
progressing to vt101, and then going to vt102.  The vt102 command set is a
superset of vt100, so if you simply set your terminal emulation to vt102 it
should understand any vt100 commands, and yes, as far as I'm concerned, the
PCOM+ vt102 emulator is the absolute best that I've seen.

           - Paul
--