[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for HPGL to Postscript

Murky@cup.portal.com (Gary A Murakami) (06/01/90)

I beleive I've seen requests for an HPGL -> Postscipt filter
or conversion program but was never interested in the answer
until now.  Please let me know if they exist and any help
in pointers to them would be appreciated also.

Gary Murakami
Murky@cup.portal.com
(818) 915-9773

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (06/01/90)

In article <30385@cup.portal.com> Murky@cup.portal.com (Gary A Murakami) writes:
>I beleive I've seen requests for an HPGL -> Postscipt filter
>or conversion program but was never interested in the answer
>until now.  Please let me know if they exist and any help
>in pointers to them would be appreciated also.
>
>Gary Murakami
>Murky@cup.portal.com
>(818) 915-9773

I know the above question has been asked for more than a few times, but
I am not sure if the following is true also:

Does anyone know of any HPGL to PostScript converter that generates
Encapsulated PostScript codes? Thanks.

Andy

dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) (06/01/90)

In article <30385@cup.portal.com> Murky@cup.portal.com (Gary A Murakami) writes:
>I beleive I've seen requests for an HPGL -> Postscipt filter

If there is something out there like this that could be ported to OS/2, I could
really put this to work on a 3+Open LAN Manager network.  Postscript and HPGL
on one printer would be a real plus!

Delbert Matlock                         Internet:  dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu
MicroNet Northwest                      UUCP:      dmatlock@eecs.UUCP
Voice:  (503)228-3071

AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) (06/02/90)

Well, it wasn't designed as a converter, but Microsoft Word will import
HPGL (and TIFF and a few others) and will produce Postscript, Laserjet
PCL, Epson or you-name-it to the printer or a disk file.  Since I already
have it, that's what I use.

- Alan Millar    AMillar@cup.portal.com

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (06/02/90)

In article <90May31.213104edt.19674@me.utoronto.ca>, sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
> In article <30385@cup.portal.com> Murky@cup.portal.com (Gary A Murakami) writes:
> Does anyone know of any HPGL to PostScript converter that generates
> Encapsulated PostScript codes? Thanks.
>
> Andy

I think Hijak can do this. I believe there is an article in one of the major
journals (Personal Workstations or PC Mag.) this month on commercial
convertion programs.

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +

ken@kericks.chi.il.us (Ken Erickson) (06/08/90)

I'm posting this for a friend whose news poster is temporarily broken.
Please direct replies to madsen@vijit.chi.il.us.

 Subject: For those asking about HPGL <-> PS

There does exist a program that was posted on the net in a comp.sources
group (unix or misc, probably) that converts HPGL to postscript.  I
don't remember the complete name, but it starts out with `hp...'.
I don't know of any program that does the reverse as a filter, although
there are some *DOS* postscript interpreter packages out there (GoScript,
UltraScript PC, et al).  These packages were reviewed in a recent (within
a couple of months) PC World magazine.  In general UltraScript PC came out
on top.

Personally, I decided to bite the bullet and got the HP Postscript
cartridge for my LJ; it works on DOS and Unix, and it's faster and I don't have
to fool around with filters and interpreters.  It also required additional
memory.  I bought HP, but was told later that that was foolish (3rd party
add on memory is just as good and seriously cheaper).
I also got `psf2' from comp.sources.misc, which does quite a nice job
of printing ascii files on a postscript printer.  I typically use
landscape 2-up; it's very readable, and saves paper and toner.
[Now I'm "environmentally aware".  Save those trees! :-)]

Hope this answers some questions.

Dave Madsen   ---dcm

gargoyle.uchicago.edu!vijit!madsen (uucp)  or  madsen@vijit.chi.il.us (domain)

This message claims to state the personal opinion of ONLY myself,
and no other person or organization, living, dead, or in Chapter 11.

--
Ken Erickson
ken@kericks.chi.il.us (domain)