[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Fastest Modem Transfer Protocal - Opinions Needed

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (06/26/90)

dmm0t@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Meyer) writes:

>I've always found Zmodem to be the fastest.  Kermit, on the other
>hand, is consistently the slowest protocol of any I've used.

There's Kermit and then there's Kermit.  Old versions of Kermit are
pretty slow: they use 90 byte packets, and handshake after each
packet.  Newer Kermits can use packets up to 2000 bytes, and support
sliding windows.  This means they can be as fast as Zmodem (and for
the same reasons).

There's also the issue of whether Kermit thinks it's on a 7 bit or an
8 bit wide link.  Sending binaries on a 7 bit link forces Kermit to do
"8th bit quoting" which on average increases transfer time by 50%.
Other protocols, on the other hand, generally just can't transfer 8
bit data on a 7 bit link.

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (06/26/90)

>The subject line says it all. I'm wondering what is the fastest protocal
>to use when transfering files over modem? Kermit, Xmodem, Zmodem, or
>whatever. I normally use Kermit but I'd like to find something else maybe
>a little bit faster. Anyway, let's hear some recommendations if anyone
>has any.
>				- Jeff
>--
> EMAIL: jharper@carina.unm.edu

I'm not sure what the fastest is, but Kermit is certainly the slowest (short
of typing it in).  I normally use Zmodem, and average about 228-231 cps
throughput on a plain 2400 bps modem.  Zmodem also has better error checking
then Kermit (CRC-32), and supports Crash Recovery (picking up a stopped file
transfer in the middle).

						Mark

pfeifer@hpavla.avo.hp.com
HP Avondale Division

bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (06/26/90)

In article <1990Jun23.203333.12501@ariel.unm.edu>,
jharper@carina.unm.edu (Jeff) writes:
|> The subject line says it all. I'm wondering what is the fastest protocal
|> to use when transfering files over modem? Kermit, Xmodem, Zmodem, or
|> whatever. I normally use Kermit but I'd like to find something else maybe
|> a little bit faster. Anyway, let's hear some recommendations if anyone
|> has any.
|> 				- Jeff
|> --
|>  EMAIL: jharper@carina.unm.edu
|>
|>                                 "A stitch in time takes up space.."
|>                                  The Doctor - "Delta and the Bannerman"

  You are opening up a very very big can of worms by asking such a vague
question.  Before the melee begins Id recommend you clarrify your request
by stating what conditions you will be using it for (ie local calls, across
campus, across the country, etc).  Various protocols are great if you have
very clean lines for transfering but will absolutely flop miserably when
the quality goes down or you use services like PC Persuit (which packetizes
your data w/o your concent/knowledge thus causing windowing and buffering
problems at times).
  Another item to consider is what you will be using it for: single files,
multiple files, streaming data, etc.  Some protocols are designed with
some of these in mind...
  These are just 2 things that you should consider along with all the
suggestions you may/may not recieve...

						Bruce (bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com)

gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun26.021616.11782@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> dmm0t@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Meyer) writes:
>In article <1990Jun23.203333.12501@ariel.unm.edu> jharper@carina.unm.edu (Jeff) writes:
>>The subject line says it all. I'm wondering what is the fastest protocal
>>to use when transfering files over modem? Kermit, Xmodem, Zmodem, or
>>whatever. I normally use Kermit but I'd like to find something else maybe
>>a little bit faster. Anyway, let's hear some recommendations if anyone
>>has any.
>
>In my experience, the fastest file transfer protocol is Ymodem-G; the
>catch is that it requires an error correcting modem (with MNP level
>5, I think).  For file transfers on a non-error correcting modem,
>I've always found Zmodem to be the fastest.  Kermit, on the other
>hand, is consistently the slowest protocol of any I've used.

In MY opinion (and under test results) the fastest protocal
under normal line conditions (long distance lets say) is
ZMODEM MOBYTURBO... It's activated with the -m option
and is only available after 2/14/90 I believe.. That stuff
pretty much goes faster than Y-Modem G.. Plus on a error correcting
modem (say HST) the line has to be pretty clean to get high
results... I say Zmodem MobyTurbo is fastest.. Y-modem G is
close and same but requires an very clean line on a HST 14.4K
mode...

--
George Wang
Wang Associates

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (06/27/90)

>/ hpavla:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d / roy@cybrspc.AVO.HP.COM /  2:55 am  Jun 26, 1990 /
>Personally, I get the best results from Zmodem. Typically 210 cps from
>Telemate, 224 from DSZ and 227-230 from DSZ with MobyTurbo enabled. (all
>these are at 2400 bps)
>--
>    Roy M. Silvernail   | 'I don't see why you people    | Opinions found
>    now available at:   | seem to think this is magic... | herein are mine,
> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu | Its just this little chromium  | but you can rent
>(cyberspace... be here!)| switch here...[click]'         | them.
>----------

What's this MobyTurbo?

Mark Pfeifer					pfeifer@hpavla.avo.hp.com
HP Avondale Division

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (06/27/90)

While Zmodem is unquestionably fast, mostly reliable, and widely
supported, I have had slightly better transfer times with Puma and
with HyperP.
--
Adam Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)                          C:\> alp

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (06/27/90)

In article <12085@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>dmm0t@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Meyer) writes:
>
>>I've always found Zmodem to be the fastest.  Kermit, on the other
>>hand, is consistently the slowest protocol of any I've used.
>
>There's Kermit and then there's Kermit.  Old versions of Kermit are
>pretty slow: they use 90 byte packets, and handshake after each
>packet.  Newer Kermits can use packets up to 2000 bytes, and support
>sliding windows.  This means they can be as fast as Zmodem (and for
>the same reasons).
>
>There's also the issue of whether Kermit thinks it's on a 7 bit or an
>8 bit wide link.  Sending binaries on a 7 bit link forces Kermit to do
>"8th bit quoting" which on average increases transfer time by 50%.
>Other protocols, on the other hand, generally just can't transfer 8
>bit data on a 7 bit link.

Thanks goodness someone mentioned this.  There was some dispute about
this a while ago.  Some people said that Zmodem doesn't do 8th bit quoting
and some said that it does.  I even had some alum. from my school try to
tell me that I didn't need 8th bit quoting (even though the campus network
administrators agree that I do).  ... And someone else who told me
that our VAX 6300 was stupid (or broken) because IT required it.  I didn't
take the time to respond to that.

Anyway, If someone can truly answer whether or not Zmodem will do it,
and if a version exists for UNIX that will do it, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Neil

Neil I.  Weisenfeld                    | InterNet: weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Dept. of Computer and Info. Sciences   | USPS: I dunno, I'm moving...
University of Pennsylvania             | PENNmail: Don't even try it...

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/27/90)

In article <8460002@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM> pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) writes:
>>The subject line says it all. I'm wondering what is the fastest protocal
>>to use when transfering files over modem? Kermit, Xmodem, Zmodem, or
>>whatever. I normally use Kermit but I'd like to find something else maybe
>>a little bit faster. Anyway, let's hear some recommendations if anyone
>>has any.
>>				- Jeff
>>--
>> EMAIL: jharper@carina.unm.edu
>
>I'm not sure what the fastest is, but Kermit is certainly the slowest (short
>of typing it in).  I normally use Zmodem, and average about 228-231 cps
>throughput on a plain 2400 bps modem.  Zmodem also has better error checking
>then Kermit (CRC-32), and supports Crash Recovery (picking up a stopped file
>transfer in the middle).
>
>						Mark

I can get about 238 CPS from compuserve using B-plus protocol. Or 780 CPS from
ftp using SLIP between two 9600 baud modems.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/28/90)

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) writes:

> >/ hpavla:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d / roy@cybrspc.AVO.HP.COM /  2:55 am  Jun 26,
> >Personally, I get the best results from Zmodem. Typically 210 cps from
> >Telemate, 224 from DSZ and 227-230 from DSZ with MobyTurbo enabled. (all
> >these are at 2400 bps)
>
> What's this MobyTurbo?

MobyTurbo is an accelerated transfer mode introduced in February's
release of DSZ. Both copies of DSZ must be Moby-capable for it to work.
See the DSZ docs for a more complete explanation. I just know that it
seems to work faster than straight Zmodem.

--

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:

> Thanks goodness someone mentioned this.  There was some dispute about
> this a while ago.  Some people said that Zmodem doesn't do 8th bit quoting
> and some said that it does.
[...]
> Anyway, If someone can truly answer whether or not Zmodem will do it,
> and if a version exists for UNIX that will do it, it would be greatly
> appreciated.

This is from the DSZ.DOC file included with DSZ0411:
-------------------------------------
     ZMODEM over 7 bit paths:  (Not supported in DSZ.COM)

     A pair of ZMODEM-90 programs with 7-bit support operating over a 7 bit
     path should detect that fact and switch to one of two 7-bit path
     compatible encodings.  For testing, this can be forced with a "-E"
     option.

     Default 7-bit mode is RLE compression and 8th bit quoting similar to
     Kermit but more efficient because not so many control characters are
     quoted.  Use this default for text files.  Rubout and all control
     characters can be escaped with the -e option.  Individual control
     characters can be escaped with "zmtxesc" and "zmrxesc".

     Pack-7 instead of quoting is activated with the -P option.  (-P has no
     effect on 8 bit paths.) Pack-7 packs 4 bytes into 5 printing characters.
     This is more efficient than quoting for files where 25% more 8th bits
     appear than the number of characters saved by RLE compression.  (This
     statement applies to GIF, ARC, ZOO, and ZIP files.  It may or may not
     apply to other binary file formats, depending on the data.) Pack-7 will
     match or beat standard Kermit on ZIP files, even when Kermit has use of
     all 8 bits.
The -E option also works with the Unix version (RZSZ0525), in my
experience.
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | 'I don't see why you people    | Opinions found
    now available at:   | seem to think this is magic... | herein are mine,
 cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu | Its just this little chromium  | but you can rent
(cyberspace... be here!)| switch here...[click]'         | them.

thorh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Thor Hallen) (06/28/90)

Zmodem works fine for me on a 7 bit link. I haven't carefully compared
speed on 7 bit vs 8 bit mode but there is no major difference. Certainly
not a factor of 2.

					Thor Hallen
					Tektronix, Inc.

merlin@csvax.seas.smu.edu (David Hayes) (06/28/90)

and in article <26501@netnews.upenn.edu> (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>Anyway, If someone can truly answer whether or not Zmodem will do it,
>and if a version exists for UNIX that will do it, it would be greatly
>appreciated.

Rest easy, Neil.  Zmodem has been running happily on my PC over a
7-bit link for six months, and it works just fine.  Yes, it will
quote 8-bit data.  We have AT&T Information System Network (what
a joke), which is basically an ASCII switch.  It will transfer
only 7-bit data, so I was stuck with Kermit until I found Zmodem.
I've finally given up on that, but only because I got an ethernet
card for my PC.
David Hayes	School of Engineering	Southern Methodist University
merlin@smu.edu	uunet!smu!merlin
"Here's a test to see if your job here on Earth is finished:  If you're
still here, it isn't."  -- Richard Bach, _Illusions_

rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu (Brynn Rogers) (06/29/90)

For me Zmodem is the fastest when dealing with a BBS (I get 250 CPS or so
with a 2400 Baud MNP5 modem.

BUT, when talking to a unix system through a bunch of terminal servers,
I find that Ymodem gives me a better throughput (210 CPS or so) compared
to Zmodem (sz -l 512) which gives about 170 CPS.

I wish I could get the same rates with the unix system that I get on my
favorite BBS.

I have been able to get >200 CPS from the new kermit on unix,  but
my unix account just changed and I don't seem to have access to the latest
version of C-Kermit anymore.  Getting these kind of rates from kermit
requires you to have a .kermrc with the right parameters, Plus turning
on the 8 bit stuff through all the boxes you go through, Plus possibly
having the flow-controls set right through all the boxes.  Zmodem and Ymodem
are so much easier to live with.

Brynn

glenn@ocsmd.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) (06/29/90)

In article <1769@ux.acs.umn.edu> rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu (Brynn Rogers) writes:

>I find that Ymodem gives me a better throughput (210 CPS or so) compared
>to Zmodem (sz -l 512) which gives about 170 CPS.
>
>I wish I could get the same rates with the unix system that I get on my
>favorite BBS.

I Run a Unix BBS, and Zmodem gives me about 230 CPS. What kind of Unix
box are you talking about?

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (06/30/90)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:

>jharper@carina.unm.edu (Jeff) writes:

>Depends on what you're measuring.  If total number of bytes moved is
>the question, then BiModem is the fastest: on a 2400 bps line it can
>move about 450 cps (yes, 450, that's not a typo), by doing two 225 cps
>transfers simultaneously, one in each direction.  Since the modems in
>common use are full duplex, there are two channels available, and this
>trick isn't so hard.  All that's needed is a protocol which allows the
>mixing of control information for one transfer in with the data for
>the other.  Very nice indeed if you need to move data both ways.

Has anyone successfully created such a protocol? If so where is it available?

Please reply via email.

Dave (umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca)

--
Dave Rose                 : Local (UnixWS) - UMRose05@CCU.UManitoba.CA