[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Smart CTTY?

pam1@ra.MsState.Edu (Phillip A. McReynolds) (07/02/90)

Is there a CTTY program which might intercept screen writes for programs such
as WordStar, dBase, or others and would send to the serial port (along with
text information) the appropriate ANSI (or vt100) codes which would allow
correct cursor placement?  Such a program would allow me to access *all* of
my text-based (i.e., non-graphics) software remotely (rather than having to
use EM, a text-based, ANSI-driven editor as my primary remote editor).

If such a program does not exist, what would it take to write one?  (Follow-ups
to this question to comp.sys.ibm.pc, please.)

Emailed replies appreciated,
Phillip McReynolds
pam1@ra.msstate.edu

.sig .sig Sputnik

readdm@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (07/02/90)

In article <abridged>  pam1@ra.MsState.Edu (Phillip A. McReynolds) writes:
>Is there a CTTY program which might intercept screen writes for programs such
>as WordStar, dBase, or others and would send to the serial port (along with
>text information) the appropriate ANSI (or vt100) codes which would allow
>correct cursor placement?  Such a program would allow me to access *all* of
>my text-based (i.e., non-graphics) software remotely (rather than having to
>use EM, a text-based, ANSI-driven editor as my primary remote editor).

I know of at least 2 such programs.  One is called PC-Anywhere, the other
Carbon Copy Plus.  Both of them have you run a copy on either end, and then
your remote computer's screen & keyboard become linked (indentical) to the
other one's.  Works even with graphics, from what I understand.

I know people who use both, but it seems like PC-Anywhere is the better
product.  My friends tell me that CC-Plus has more/better features, but
requires you to buy *two* copies of it...the damned thing is not copy-
protected, but *is* serial-number encoded, and it checks to make sure you're
not running the same serial number on both ends!!  This wouldn't be a problem
except for the ~$125 price tag.  Ouch!  I suppose one way around this is to
find a friend who wants it, both buy copies & then swap copies of them, but
I'd *never* suggest something so patently sleazy! :-)

Anyway, I hope this is what you were looking for.

|  Dave Read:                     | I saw a bumper sticker:                   |
|    read@lampf.lanl.gov          |   "I may be uneducated, but you're ugly   |
|    read@physics.ph.utexas.edu   |    and I can still go back to school."    |
|    readdm@walt.cc.utexas.edu    | #include <disclaimer.h>                   |
|  Programmer & Physicist         | #define  FLAME    \dev\null               |