[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PKZIP 1.2

levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu (WALDEN LEVERICH) (06/27/90)

I seem to recall seeing a posting about PKZIP 1.2 being a hack, and not a
valid release. Is this correct, and who should I contact if my BBS has a
copy?

Thanks in advance.

Walden Leverich

No fancy .sig

iesa002@discg1.UUCP (john boris) (06/28/90)

From article <1990Jun27.154248.4959@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, by levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu (WALDEN LEVERICH):
> I seem to recall seeing a posting about PKZIP 1.2 being a hack, and not a
> valid release. Is this correct, and who should I contact if my BBS has a
> copy?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Walden Leverich

> No fancy .sig

You are coreect.
In a recent posting on a local BBS Phil Katz has stated that there isn't
any version of PKZIP 1.2 outthere.
He also offered a reward for the catching of the culprit.

--
 John J. Boris,Sr. Defense Industrial Supply Center-DISC-EE
 Philadelphia,PA (AV)442-6382 COMM (215)697-6382

bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (06/28/90)

  If you ever get a copy of PKZIP 1.2 you should immediately contact
Phil Katz himself.  You can get the voice # from an older version of
PKZIP or from the documentation file.  (I dont have it handy, sorry)

  DO NOT RUN PKZIP 1.2 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!  You will regret it
for many moons if you do!

					Bruce (bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com)

damon@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Damon Schaefer) (06/28/90)

Here's the note...

Tue 15 May 90 10:12
By: Stu Turk
To: All
Re: Re: PKZIP 1.20
 * Forwarded from "PittNet "
 * Originally from Jmove
the files IMMEDIATELY, and please contact PKWARE to report
where the files were seen.

REWARD!
-------

PKWARE is offering a reward of lifetime free upgrades for PKZIP
to anyone who can provide information leading to the
identification and prosecution of the person or persons
responsible for creating this bogus version 1.20 of the
software.  They have only served to confuse and hurt the user
community, and the perpetrators of this crime are at minimum in
violation of Federal Copyright Law.

If you have any information about the source of PKZ120.EXE or
PKZ120.ZIP, please report it to PKWARE immediately, either:

by Voice at 414-352-3670
by BBS   at 414-352-7176
by FAX   at 414-352-3815
or by mail:

PKWARE Inc.
7545 N. Port Washington Rd.
Glendale, WI 53217

Sincerely,

        Phil Katz
        President, PKWARE Inc.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/29/90)

bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:

>   DO NOT RUN PKZIP 1.2 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!  You will regret it
> for many moons if you do!

I know it's a hacked version, but can you tell us what it does? Is it
carrying a virus or a bomb of some kind?
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | 'I don't see why you people    | Opinions found
    now available at:   | seem to think this is magic... | herein are mine,

bk@kullmar.se (Bo Kullmar) (06/30/90)

In <576@dg.dg.com> bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:

>  If you ever get a copy of PKZIP 1.2 you should immediately contact
>Phil Katz himself.

The messages that was posted earlier did not at all tell people to
contact Phil Katz if anyone got a copy of "version 1.2". He only
wanted to know the souce of the patch 1.2, but I don't think that we will
ever get that informaton.

>  DO NOT RUN PKZIP 1.2 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!  You will regret it
>for many moons if you do!

As far as I can understand the PKZIP 1.2 version that I have seen has
only got a new versionnumber and it is not dangerous to run it. A friend
in Finland has used it a lot.    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
--
Bo Kullmar, Helsingoersg. 38, S-164 42  KISTA, Sweden, Phone +46 8 7511518
UUCP:		{uunet,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut,ukc,unido}

mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (07/02/90)

In article <21930001@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> damon@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Damon Schaefer) writes:

>PKWARE is offering a reward of lifetime free upgrades for PKZIP
>to anyone who can provide information leading to the
>identification and prosecution of the person or persons
>responsible for creating this bogus version 1.20 of the
>software.

Have they looked in SEA's direction lately?  Big :-)

--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President       -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --