[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] TAR

rlove@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Rebecca M. Love) (07/02/90)

     I frequently download from Simtel and other anonymous ftp sites, and I
have found that many of them use the TAR compression program.  I have
acquired the c files and compiled them to form the program, but  it seems to
only work with tape drives.  I am trying to uncompress a file in my dir-
ectory on a mainframe into the same directory in the same mainframe, no tape
drives involved.  Any suggestions?

   Becky
              rlove@gmuvax2.gmu.edu   Internet
              RLOVE@gmuvax.gmu.edu    Bitnet

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (07/03/90)

In article <1750@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> rlove@gmuvax2.UUCP (Rebecca M. Love) writes:

>     I frequently download from Simtel and other anonymous ftp sites, and I
>have found that many of them use the TAR compression program.  I have
>acquired the c files and compiled them to form the program, but  it seems to
>only work with tape drives.  I am trying to uncompress a file in my dir-
>ectory on a mainframe into the same directory in the same mainframe, no tape
>drives involved.  Any suggestions?

Try the following command line:

tar -xf <tar-archive>

replace <tar-archive> with the name of the file you will untar.

Gunnar Dahlstr|m
Chalmers University of Technology
Division of Building Technology
412 96 Gothenburg, Sweden

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (07/03/90)

Becky:

>     I frequently download from Simtel and other anonymous ftp sites, and I
> have found that many of them use the TAR compression program.

On Unix systems, `tar' is not a compression program.  It is a `tape
archive' utility that is used to store programs and data on tape in a
form that can be shared with many other computers, including those that
do not run Unix.

> I have
> acquired the c files and compiled them to form the program, but it seems to
> only work with tape drives.  I am trying to uncompress a file in my dir-
> ectory on a mainframe into the same directory in the same mainframe, no tape
> drives involved.  Any suggestions?

Check your system to make sure that it does not have a `tar' program
on it already.  If it is a Unix system, there should be a `tar'
executable on it somewhere (probably in /usr/bin).  There should also
be a program called `cpio' (`copy input/output') that is used in
conjunction with `tar' to transfer files, especially to media other
than tapes.

If your system is not some flavor of Unix, then I must confess that I
haven't any idea how `tar' works with its filesystem.

Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett Packard Company, Open Systems Software Division
MS 48SO, 19447 Pruneridge Avenue, Cupertino CA  95014
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not my employer's.