[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] msdos uploads to SIMTEL20 for month

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (07/06/90)

/* Written  6:47 am  Jul  5, 1990 by bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au in ux1.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */
cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:

>> SIMIBM.ARC    B  263121  900624  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with...
>> SIMIBM.IDX    A  461706  900624  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with...
>                   ^^^^^^
>Keith, would it be possible to make SIMIBM.IDX available in a compressed
>format? I usually order the SIMIBM.ARC, just to reduce the load on the
>mailserver. Having SIMIBM.IDX in an arc would be very handy

I hope that you're not talking about eliminating the uncompressed file
entirely?  I download SIMIBM.IDX to a unix machine where I can go through
it to find the things I want to download to my pc.
Saves me from having to download the 250k compressed file at 1200 baud!

Is there a unix utility that will let me decompress the simibm.arc file?

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (07/06/90)

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> /* Written  6:47 am  Jul  5, 1990 by bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au in ux1.cso.uiuc.ed
> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>
> >Keith, would it be possible to make SIMIBM.IDX available in a compressed
> >format?
>
> I hope that you're not talking about eliminating the uncompressed file
> entirely?

Not at all! I just suggested making a compressed version available _in
addition_ to the composite arcfile.

[...]
> Is there a unix utility that will let me decompress the simibm.arc file?

There is a version of ARC for Unix, but I can't recall where it may be
found. I snagged it off comp.sources.misc (I think) last year or early
this year, and installed it on a SYSV machine. I used to use it to check
the integrity of SIMTEL downloads before transferring to my PC.
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | 'I don't see why you people    | Opinions found
    now available at:   | seem to think this is magic... | herein are mine,