[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Multiuser 286 questions?

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) (07/06/90)

I want to design an application system, on which using a 286 or 386 machine,
and use several terminals and printers connecting to the machine. Anyone
from a terminal can access the database on computer at the same time and
can print a record to his/her own printer. Maybe 6-7 terminals and printers.
Now my question is:

1. what kind of machine should I use, 286 or 386?

2. what kind of operation system to use, DOS, P-DOS, Xenix, or some multi-
   user shell like MultiBase?

3. what kind of multiport to use, Digi-Board or other RS-232 board?

4. what kind of database to use, for multiuser do I have to load database
   program several times or just load one copy? how hard to program for
   multiuser database? are there good books for programming multiuser
   database?

5. Can terminal and printer together share one cable connecting to a
   RS-232 port on the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Naiming@bagend.eng.umd.edu

news1@uncrcmd.Dayton.NCR.COM (Jeff Van Voorhis) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul5.203820.26995@eng.umd.edu> naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) writes:

>I want to design an application system, on which using a 286 or 386 machine,
>and use several terminals and printers connecting to the machine. Anyone
>from a terminal can access the database on computer at the same time and
>can print a record to his/her own printer. Maybe 6-7 terminals and printers.
>Now my question is:
>
>1. what kind of machine should I use, 286 or 386?
I would suggest a 386SX machine if you are considering a 286. The price is
generally very close to a 286 with much better performance. We have run 10
users on a 386SX system without problem. (Xenix OS)

>2. what kind of operation system to use, DOS, P-DOS, Xenix, or some multi-
>   user shell like MultiBase?
Unix, Xenix: If you are considering terminals (Dumb Ascii CRTs). You may also
consider Novell LAN if you experience is in MS-DOS <--(Yuck!). The big factors
here are cost, your experience, and end user interface.

>3. what kind of multiport to use, Digi-Board or other RS-232 board?

I have no specific suggestion here.

>4. what kind of database to use, for multiuser do I have to load database
>   program several times or just load one copy?
That depends on the complexity of your application. In the Unix (Xenix)
world one loads a single copy on the machine and pays a fee linked to the
size of your equipment (users, class of machine, etc..) Under MS-DOS you
would use a network version of the Database Software. If you are new to the
Relational Database World you might consider looking at comp.database for a
while.
>   how hard to program for  multiuser database?
Not very hard. IF you use a version designed for multi user!!! Do not try
to trick a single user database into working like a multi user version.

>   Are there good books for programming multiuser
>   database?
I found several. A good textbook on the subject is by C.J. Date:
"An Introduction To Database Systems". It is really not difficult IF you
use a relation database system - they do all the hard work for you.

>5. Can terminal and printer together share one cable connecting to a
>   RS-232 port on the computer.
Yes, most terminals allow a mode called pass through mode. This redirects
all terminal output to its Auxillary port. The Unix spooler can be set up
to handle this. I would not suggest this if you have the serial ports to
do dedicate to a printer(s).

One last thing. Please investigate other sources for this application. You
might just find that someone has already written it for you.

As normal these opinions are my own ....
--
*   Jeff Van Voorhis  NCR Corporation CMD Division    *
*   Dayton, Ohio 45479   (513) 445-5267               *