[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] OBJetris

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (06/27/90)

I'm having trouble running objetris.  When I start it up, 2 screens of infor
mation come up, but then when I press return to go on, I get a message
	unable to open graphics device
What's going on?  Carl Riehm.

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (06/28/90)

When I hit return on the opening screen, my 386SX just hangs.
--
Adam Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)                          C:\> alp

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/28/90)

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

> When I hit return on the opening screen, my 386SX just hangs.

Same here on my 286. I think a ^A is printed to the screen, and then...
lockup so tight, I have to punch the BRB (Big Red Button). I tried
Ctrl-Alt-Ins (for HotBoot) and Ctrl-Alt-Del, but no result.
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | 'I don't see why you people    | Opinions found
    now available at:   | seem to think this is magic... | herein are mine,

rasmus@contact.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (06/28/90)

In <26881BA5.1316@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:

>I'm having trouble running objetris.  When I start it up, 2 screens of infor
>mation come up, but then when I press return to go on, I get a message
>	unable to open graphics device
>What's going on?  Carl Riehm.

You probably have the wrong video card.  It works fine on a Hercules card, but
I tried it under simcga (Color Graphics Adapter simulation program) and I got
the error you mentioned.  I didn't see the hardware requirements stated
anywhere.  It would be nice if we knew what kind of equipment that the binaries
posted require to run.
--
Rasmus Lerdorf | rasmus@contact.uucp (home) |  WC '94 Prediction:
  SD Eng '93   | rasmus@dmntor.uucp  (work) |  Denmark will take the Cup!

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (06/28/90)

It works fine on a NEC Ultralite, however the 386 clone at work just barfed
and stared at me blankly. Also the keyboard layout is EEECH! and a real pain
on a laptop.

--
            __                               "Those who love seek a philosphy
 _  . .-|- / _\ .  . |_  _.    _  _  .  .    and, because of this, are fond of

kaldis@traffic.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (06/29/90)

In article <DXXFL1w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

>> When I hit return on the opening screen, my 386SX just hangs.

> Same here on my 286. I think a ^A is printed to the screen, and then...
> lockup so tight, I have to punch the BRB (Big Red Button). I tried
> Ctrl-Alt-Ins (for HotBoot) and Ctrl-Alt-Del, but no result.

The program works fine for me.  Perhaps you have the wrong screen?  (I
think it needs at least an EGA).  The reason you have to hit the "Big
Red Button" is that the program locks up while interrupts are
disabled.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (06/29/90)

> Thank your for your postings and concerns about OBJetris.

> HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

> It should work find on any EGA or VGA monitor.  It does work on other types
> of graphics cards  (I don't have the list with me), but it will probably
> not look as nice and we don't recommend using it.

So this begs the question: has anybody written a PD/shareware Tetris
clone that runs on a CGA display, so I can use it on my Toshiba
notebook PC?  Geez, it's not like Tetris challenges the limits of
*any* display architecture.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

northon@cvedc.Prime.Com (Northon Rodrigues) (06/29/90)

Thank your for your postings and concerns about OBJetris.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

It should work find on any EGA or VGA monitor.  It does work on other types
of graphics cards  (I don't have the list with me), but it will probably
not look as nice and we don't recommend using it.

We tried the program in all types of hardware configurations, XT's AT's,
386SX, 386, proprietary Intel PCS, and on the SPARC Station emulating
a PC, and we had no problems.  However, there is a bug in the Zortech
(our C++ compiler developers) graphics library that could cause some
types of VGA monitor not to work.  If that's your case please do let
us know so that we can tell Zortech and get the problem fixed.

We will be doing a port to Borland's C++ (change the graphics class),
so if your version does not work, drop me a line and I send you a
new version.

> From: ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe)
>
> It works fine on a NEC Ultralite, however the 386 clone at work just barfed
> and stared at me blankly. Also the keyboard layout is EEECH! and a real pain
> on a laptop.

KEYBOARD LAYOUT
===============

We chose a keyboard layout that would allow the player never to have to move
their fingers away from the 10 key pad.  Given the keys we have to work with
I honestly don't know how to improve it and I would consider your suggestions.

	    (4)<-    5     ->(6)

	       1     2     3

    MOVEMENTS
The left arrow (or 4) moves the block left, the right arrow (or 6) moves the
block right.

    ROTATIONS
If you press the SHIFT key and the LEFT ARROW key together, the block
rotates counter clockwise.  If you press the SHIFT key and the RIGHT
ARROW key together, the block rotates clockwise.  However, if one wants
to play the game using only one hand, the player can press 1 in place
of SHIFT 4, and 3 in place of SHIFT 6.

The 5 causes it to drop fast.  2 is a semi-fast drop.

Pressing the space bar will pause the game.

With the above layout the players hands never has to leave the 10-key pad
while playing the game.

Thanks for your suggestions, and if you have any enhancements request
please email them to me or drop a letter to my P.O. Box.

Northon

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/30/90)

kaldis@traffic.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) writes:

> In article <DXXFL1w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) w
>
> > Same here on my 286. I think a ^A is printed to the screen, and then...
> > lockup so tight, I have to punch the BRB (Big Red Button).
>
> The program works fine for me.  Perhaps you have the wrong screen?  (I
> think it needs at least an EGA).  The reason you have to hit the "Big
> Red Button" is that the program locks up while interrupts are
> disabled.

That makes sense. I have an EGA card, but run a CGA monitor. Perhaps
that's the conflict.
--

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Ender Wiggin) (06/30/90)

portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>So this begs the question: has anybody written a PD/shareware Tetris
>clone that runs on a CGA display, so I can use it on my Toshiba
>notebook PC?  Geez, it's not like Tetris challenges the limits of
>*any* display architecture.

There is a good, basic, fairly-portable version called Nyet which runs in
character-mode (40x25) under both CGA and mono (with or without Hercules,
I believe); and, of course, the original Tetris by Pajitnov and Gerasimov
was written in character mode as well.  It's not nearly as well written as
Nyet--very sluggish; uses 7-8-9 for movement only (j-k-l is more comfortable
on a laptop, I find); etc.--but then, it *is* the original, "true red"
version (anybody watch Red Heat tonight?  Go Arnie! :) ).  As near as I
can tell, it's freeware and possibly public domain.  Nyet, I think, is
shareware.  By far the prettiest I've seen, however, is Eric Ng's EGAINT...
but you need EGA/VGA to run that (possibly Hercules, now; I've forgotten).

Check the Clarkson archives for either Nyet or Tetris, and if you still
can't find one I'll upload the suckers and mail them to you.

rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu (Brynn Rogers) (07/01/90)

RE: KEYBOARD LAYOUT of objtertis  OR ANY PROGRAM WITH FIXED PREDEFINED KEYS

I can't play it either. Why? the keys are so different
from the other tertises I have played that it is not even fun.
You layout makes sense, but it is terrible for anyone who has spent
hours on some other version of tertis.

SOLUTION:
Allow the user to a) use your layout
    OR            b) create a new layout more to thier liking (and save it)

So many programs out there force you to some arbitrary keyboard layout.
I hate it! I love programs that let you put commands where you want.
It is not that difficult to give people these options, and in doing so
you are only providing people with what they want and are familiar with.

Have you noticed how every really usable editor lets you rearrange the
key bindings at will?  (Take Emacs for example.)

It is not just user-helpful to provide key-customizing, but what if keyboards
change?  I have more than one program that is nearly useless because they
assummed everyone had the ctrl,alt,shift, and caps lock as on the original
IBM keyboard.  Along comes the enhanced keyboard (Which I like better, mainly
because I started with one) and the program is worthless [okay, they are games]
.  What if the dvorak keyboard becomes more popular? [so they probably won't
change the number pad, but have you noticed the number pad on a phone?]

Brynn

In article <PORTUESI.90Jun29135359@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>So this begs the question: has anybody written a PD/shareware Tetris
>clone that runs on a CGA display, so I can use it on my Toshiba
>notebook PC?  Geez, it's not like Tetris challenges the limits of
>*any* display architecture.

The game you want is NYET.  by David Horworth.
it is CGA, knows about different speed processers, and freeware.

I believe that I got my copy from comp.binaries.ibm.pc last year sometime.
If you cant find it, I'll mail you a copy of it.

Brynn

rasmus@dmntor.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) (07/03/90)

In <386@flash.cvedc.Prime.Com> northon@cvedc.Prime.Com (Northon Rodrigues) writes:

>KEYBOARD LAYOUT
>===============

>We chose a keyboard layout that would allow the player never to have to move
>their fingers away from the 10 key pad.  Given the keys we have to work with
>I honestly don't know how to improve it and I would consider your suggestions.
>	    (4)<-    5     ->(6)
>	       1     2     3

The worldwide official Tetris standard keyboard layout as agreed upon by
a committee appointed specifically for the task by the United Nations has
specified that all version of Tetris written hereafter must use the following
layout:

	j   - left
	l   - right
	k   - rotate
[space] - drop

--
Rasmus Lerdorf | geac!dmntor!rasmus  (Work) | '94 WC prediction
UW SD Eng. '93 | geac!contact!rasmus (Home) | Denmark will take the Cup!

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (07/05/90)

rasmus@dmntor.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) writes:

>The worldwide official Tetris standard keyboard layout as agreed upon by
>a committee appointed specifically for the task by the United Nations has

Hear hear! (Here here?  Whatever...)

>specified that all version of Tetris written hereafter must use the following
>layout:
>
>	j   - left
>	l   - right
>	k   - rotate
              ^^^^^^ COUNTER-clockwise!!
>[space] - drop

The American National Standards Institute provides for the following optional
extension to the international standard:

	i   - rotate clockwise

This extension is specified in ANSI document RJ11-DB25, more commonly referred
to as "EGAINT.DOC".

"Borg Borg Borg!" -- the Swedish Worf

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (07/05/90)

rasmus@dmntor.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) writes:

>In <386@flash.cvedc.Prime.Com> northon@cvedc.Prime.Com (Northon Rodrigues) writes:

>>KEYBOARD LAYOUT
>>===============

>>We chose a keyboard layout that would allow the player never to have to move
>>their fingers away from the 10 key pad.  Given the keys we have to work with
>>I honestly don't know how to improve it and I would consider your suggestions.
>>	    (4)<-    5     ->(6)
>>	       1     2     3

A better - and more common - layout is using 7,8,9 for left, turn, right.
It is more easy to push the keys below than the keys above, so this
layout frees more keys for other functions like 4: drop, 5: tick,
6: faster, 1: preview, 2: park. (This is the layout I chose for my
KLOTZ game, which runs under Microsoft Windows).

>The worldwide official Tetris standard keyboard layout as agreed upon by
>a committee appointed specifically for the task by the United Nations has
>specified that all version of Tetris written hereafter must use the following
>layout:

>	j   - left
>	l   - right
>	k   - rotate
>[space] - drop

Ok, I will add this layout to the next version. Just a question: how
shall I refer to this standard? Any real standard has a cryptic
identifier. What about this one?

Wolfgang Strobl

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/05/90)

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) <2985@gmdzi.UUCP> :
| Ok, I will add this layout to the next version. Just a question: how
| shall I refer to this standard? Any real standard has a cryptic
| identifier. What about this one?

Clearly, "The worldwide official Tetris standard"  must be referred to as

	"TWWOTS"

Pronunciation is left as an exercise for the reader  :-)

For the non-prurient amongst us, our local Department of Redundancy
Department recommends renaming this to "The Worldwide International
Tetris Standard", a.k.a.

        "TWITS"

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (07/05/90)

In article <1990Jul3.151446.28204@dmntor.on.ca> rasmus@dmntor.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) writes:
>In <386@flash.cvedc.Prime.Com> northon@cvedc.Prime.Com (Northon Rodrigues) writes:
>

>>KEYBOARD LAYOUT
>>===============
>
>>We chose a keyboard layout that would allow the player never to have to move
>>their fingers away from the 10 key pad.  Given the keys we have to work with
>>I honestly don't know how to improve it and I would consider your suggestions.
>>	    (4)<-    5     ->(6)
>>	       1     2     3
>
>The worldwide official Tetris standard keyboard layout as agreed upon by
>a committee appointed specifically for the task by the United Nations has
>specified that all version of Tetris written hereafter must use the following
>layout:
>
>	j   - left
>	l   - right
>	k   - rotate
>[space] - drop

While those at TWWOTS have a very standard they neglect other-handed people of
this world. We, at the Royal International Tetris subcommitee dot Zero (RIT.Z)
believe that a fair and playable tetris game should provide the an alternate
layout for other-handed people, in addition to the one above (jkl):

	a 	-left
	s	-rotate
	d	-right
	space	-drop

- ant

--

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (07/05/90)

In article <2985@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>rasmus@dmntor.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) writes:
>
>>In <386@flash.cvedc.Prime.Com> northon@cvedc.Prime.Com (Northon Rodrigues) writes:
>

>>The worldwide official Tetris standard keyboard layout as agreed upon by
>>a committee appointed specifically for the task by the United Nations has
>>specified that all version of Tetris written hereafter must use the following
>>layout:
>
>>	j   - left
>>	l   - right
>>	k   - rotate
>>[space] - drop

Don't listen to this heresy. That's just one option of many. I dare say that
there are at least as many versions of Tetris that use:

	4 - left
	5 - rotate
	6 - right
    space - drop

I agree with the writer who suggested that you implement a scheme that would
let the user define what key did what. Then, everybody's happy. By the way, it's
nicely done.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

northon@cvedc.Prime.Com (Northon Rodrigues) (07/06/90)

OK, we could make the keyboard layout user configurable,
but better yet, how about if we allow the user to change
the executable?  You will be able to install the "TWITS"
interface without much trouble at all.

Also some people have asked how they could get the source for the
game ... So, if you want the entire source code either for Zortech C++ or
Borland's C++ drop me a line - email or call me at (503) 775-3907 (home).

Northon

PS:  Since the game started out as a shareware product, we feel
     that $19.95 is a fair price for the source.

PSS: I am waiting for my copy of the Professional Turbo C++ package,
     so if you want this version you might have to wait a bit.

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (07/06/90)

This is a digeression, but:

The mailing list RusTeX-L (which I moderate) had a long discussion of how the 2
soviet programmers that wrote Tetris never got a penny in royalties. You can
retrieve the archived messages by sending mail to LISTSERV@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
and using the DATABASE command to select messages containing "TETRIS" from
RUSTEX-L...

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
City University of New York Graduate Center

Internet: DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
BITNET: DLV@CUNYVMS1
UUCP: ((rutgers,gatech)!psuvax1,mcsun,unido)!cunyvms1.bitnet!dlv

rasmus@dmntor.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) (07/07/90)

In <2985@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:

>>	j   - left
>>	l   - right
>>	k   - rotate
>>[space] - drop

>Ok, I will add this layout to the next version. Just a question: how
>shall I refer to this standard? Any real standard has a cryptic
>identifier. What about this one?

You could just call it the RAS standard.  Believe me, I am cryptic!  ;)