[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] AMD 80C287 Math Coprocessors

Ryan Feemster, Communications Products Division (06/28/90)

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has just announced it will sell 80C-287
Math CoProcessor chips DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC!!!  Prices for the low-
power CMOS versions START at $99.  HALF THE PRICE OF INTEL'S CHIP!!
Those interested in ordering can call 1-800-888-5590.  HURRY before
INTEL's lawsuit against AMD voids this offer.  This is not a joke.

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun27.202426.9745@mozart.amd.com> Ryan Feemster, Communications Products Division writes:

|Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has just announced it will sell 80C-287
|Math CoProcessor chips DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC!!!  Prices for the low-
|power CMOS versions START at $99.  HALF THE PRICE OF INTEL'S CHIP!!
|Those interested in ordering can call 1-800-888-5590.  HURRY before
|INTEL's lawsuit against AMD voids this offer.  This is not a joke.

Also, these devices use licensed Intel microcode so you don't have
to worry about any incompatibilities.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
PALASM 90: it's not the same old PALASM any more!

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun27.202426.9745@mozart.amd.com> Ryan Feemster, Communications Products Division writes:

>Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has just announced it will sell 80C-287
>Math CoProcessor chips DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC!!!  Prices for the low-
>power CMOS versions START at $99.  HALF THE PRICE OF INTEL'S CHIP!!
>Those interested in ordering can call 1-800-888-5590.  HURRY before
>INTEL's lawsuit against AMD voids this offer.  This is not a joke.

Will these chips work in a standard 80287 sockets, or are special
voltages required. What about 80387 chips?

This article is posted for discussion only. Any misrepresentation,
if any, is purely unintentional. Any opinion expressed or implicit in
these remarks are solely my own.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nghiem
nghiem@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!ccwf!nghiem

In article <32683@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
|In article <1990Jun27.202426.9745@mozart.amd.com> Ryan Feemster, Communications Products Division writes:
|>
|>Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has just announced it will sell 80C-287
|>Math CoProcessor chips DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC!!!  Prices for the low-
|>power CMOS versions START at $99.  HALF THE PRICE OF INTEL'S CHIP!!
|>Those interested in ordering can call 1-800-888-5590.  HURRY before
|>INTEL's lawsuit against AMD voids this offer.  This is not a joke.
|
|Will these chips work in a standard 80287 sockets, or are special
|voltages required. What about 80387 chips?

The Am80C287 is plug compatible and microcode compatible with the
i80287 (with the added benefit of lower power: good for laptops).
The 387 is not available yet. I am not a spokesman for the company,
just another interested poster like you.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
PALASM 90: it's not the same old PALASM any more!

berg@cip-s04.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Solitair) (06/29/90)

What are the available speeds?
--
Sincerely,                         | berg@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
           Stephen R. van den Berg | ...!uunet!mcsun!unido!rwthinf!cip-s01!berg

atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun27.202426.9745@mozart.amd.com>, Ryan Feemster, Communications Products Division writes:

> Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has just announced it will sell 80C-287
> Math CoProcessor chips DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC!!!  Prices for the low-
> power CMOS versions START at $99.  HALF THE PRICE OF INTEL'S CHIP!!
> Those interested in ordering can call 1-800-888-5590.  HURRY before
> INTEL's lawsuit against AMD voids this offer.  This is not a joke.

I just called AMD and people interested in ordering may find some
additional information useful,

1. These are 10MHz co-processors.
2. They accept only VISA,MC or COD.
3. They WILL NOT accept purchase orders.

Apparently they may (the person I spoke to was VERY unsure of this) offer
12MHz version in a few weeks if this offer goes well.

Does any one (perhaps someone from AMD) know how reliably the 10MHz
version would operate at 12MHz? I'd really like to go for this, but
I'd hate to slow down my computer just to run with the co-processor.

Todd.
(atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu)

rowley@cs.umn.edu (Henry A. Rowley) (06/30/90)

In article <1990Jun29.145300.6527@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:
>Apparently they may (the person I spoke to was VERY unsure of this) offer
>12MHz version in a few weeks if this offer goes well.
>Does any one (perhaps someone from AMD) know how reliably the 10MHz
>version would operate at 12MHz? I'd really like to go for this, but

I just called AMD, and they said that the math coprocessor divides down the
clock speed to 2/3 its original value.  So if you put it in a 12MHz machine,
it will be running at 8MHz.  I don't know if this statement is accurate.
Does Intel's 80287, or the one made by ITT, do the same thing?

Henry A. Rowley          Internet: rowley@cs.umn.edu -or- rowley@ux.acs.umn.edu
THE CONTENT OF THE PROPOSITIONS - _The Shockwave Rider_ -----------------------
#1:  That this is a rich planet.  Therefore poverty and hunger are unworthy of
it, and since we can abolish them, we must.
#2:  That we are a civilize species.  Therefore none shall henceforth gain
illict advantage by reason of the fact that we together know more that one of
us can know.

In article <1990Jun29.191038.14046@cs.umn.edu> rowley@cs.umn.edu (Henry A. Rowley) writes:

| I just called AMD, and they said that the math coprocessor divides down the
| clock speed to 2/3 its original value.  So if you put it in a 12MHz machine,
| it will be running at 8MHz.  I don't know if this statement is accurate.
| Does Intel's 80287, or the one made by ITT, do the same thing?

  You may have misunderstood. Usually 286 AT clone motherboards run
the clock by 2/3 of the CPU speed, like the original AT. Hopefully the
chip will actually run as fast as a 10MHz Intel part.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX