[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PC-RN

frush@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Raymond Frush) (07/01/90)

I am looking for sources/executables for "rn" for DOS.  The environment that I
have includes a PC with an EtherNet card, and a large UNIX based network
including a News server.  I have heard that such a beast exists out there, I
just have no idea where to begin looking.

Please send any and all info via E-Mail.

				Thanks a bunch Netland!

/------- You have been reached by...-------------+--------------------\
|  Raymond Frush  at   Colorado State University | But, don't take my |
|     Center for Computer Assisted Engineering   | word for it...     |
|  ARPA      frush@longs.LANCE.colostate.edu     |                    |
|------------------------------------------------+--------------------|
|  UUCP:..ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.lance.colostate.edu!frush         |
\------------------------------------------------+--------------------/

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (07/01/90)

In article <7759@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> frush@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Raymond Frush) writes:
>I am looking for sources/executables for "rn" for DOS.  The environment that I
>have includes a PC with an EtherNet card, and a large UNIX based network
>including a News server.  I have heard that such a beast exists out there, I
>just have no idea where to begin looking.

So am I. I have asked this question several times now, with no success.

I was informed of a thing called "pcrrn", which I got. However, that
is not complete - it compiles just fine, if you remove the missing
header files - but, sure enough, when you try to link it, ....
lots of undefined global. Also, no doc files AT ALL.

I simply refuse to believe that an RN for the PC doesn't exist.

I am using a Western Digital ethernet card.

Doug McDonald

dell@Apple.COM (Thomas E. Dell) (07/01/90)

>I was informed of a thing called "pcrrn", which I got. However, that
>is not complete - it compiles just fine, if you remove the missing
>header files - but, sure enough, when you try to link it, ....
>lots of undefined global. Also, no doc files AT ALL.

There is a copy of PCRRN on ames.arc.nasa.gov in MSDOS/PCRRN. I
believe it includes binaries. No documentation to speak of.

>I simply refuse to believe that an RN for the PC doesn't exist.
>I am using a Western Digital ethernet card.

Straight RN for the PC does not exist. RN is such an obtuse
piece of code it is unlikely one will ever exist. PCRRN requires
an ethernet card and/or a SLIP connection; it is a port of "rrn"
which is a slightly different animal than "rn".

If your motive is just news on a PC, you can run Waffle, or
UFGATE, or UULINK, or Fsuucp -- however, these generally run
with a newsfeed obtained via UUCP.

I have also seen a port of RRN to VMS; it was a QIO monster.
(it is not and will probably never be available, there are much
better programs to read news with VMS).

   ...Tom

dell@vox.darkside.com / Thomas E Dell

In article <42537@apple.Apple.COM> dell@Apple.COM (Thomas E. Dell) writes:
>>I was informed of a thing called "pcrrn", which I got. However, that
>>is not complete - it compiles just fine, if you remove the missing
>>header files - but, sure enough, when you try to link it, ....
>>lots of undefined global. Also, no doc files AT ALL.
>
>There is a copy of PCRRN on ames.arc.nasa.gov in MSDOS/PCRRN.
Yep.

>I believe it includes binaries.
Nope.

> No documentation to speak of.

none AT ALL Not a byte.

>>I simply refuse to believe that an RN for the PC doesn't exist.
>>I am using a Western Digital ethernet card.
>
>Straight RN for the PC does not exist.

I'm simply looking for something that will read NEws off of a local server
machine over our Ethernet, just like this MIPS does.
Actually, a better user interface than "rn" itself would be very nice -
something that groups replies to items in some sort of sequence,
all under one index item - and doesn't make it such a darn nuisance
to re-read items.

But any news reader will probably do. Oh yes - it should also post.

Doug MCDonald

jgray@Data-IO.COM (Jerry Late Nite Gray) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jun30.222452.5444@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
> In article <7759@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> frush@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Raymond Frush) writes:
> >I am looking for sources/executables for "rn" for DOS.  The environment that I
> >have includes a PC with an EtherNet card, and a large UNIX based network
> >including a News server.  I have heard that such a beast exists out there, I
> >just have no idea where to begin looking.
> >
> So am I. I have asked this question several times now, with no success.

Howdy,

	Since thar be at least two people in the world who may be interested
in it, I thought I'd mention that I wrote a news reader about a year ago in
my spare time. We have a PC-NFS based ethernet system here at the Data I/O
ranch and I wanted to give a few deserving folks (with PC only access) a chance
to get aquainted with the USENET watering hole.

	It is a "reader" only which suits me 99.9% of the time (I had to
mosey on over to at real machine to post this) but when I finish adding all of
the really important features I'll get around to a posting function. I wouldn't
mind getting a little advice on how to do this, by the way.

	The reader has a few limitations due to having not yet purchased the
interface library to PC-NFS. Those not familiar with PC-NFS need to be informed
that file and directory names (topics/nets) get mangled into unique DOS
compatible 8 character names. This only affects maybe 5% of the topic names
and the ones mangled are usually easy to figure out. It also means that it
can't make use of the ".newsrc" file compatibly with other readers (so
it uses its own "PCNEWSRC.DAT" file somewhere on the path).

	Besides designing it to be easy to use by the uninitiated, there were
a few features I've always wanted in a news reader.  The few other news
packages I've used provide little or no help at viewing WHAT topics
are available. This one allows traversing the newgroup directories which
effectively allows you to browse the newsgroup names.  Since I am an
frequent reader of comp.binaries.ibm.pc  I built in a sequential file save
feature which makes the acquiring of new PC stuff simple and easy (especially
with Richard Marks version of uudecode) for those pesky multi-part postings.

	Is anyone out there (other than the above two persons) interested in
my posting the executables only (with the little necessary documentation)? I
am not interested in posting sources until several other significant features
are added and the beast is in a state I would call "finished" (which could
take a long time.... months if not years).  I have absolutely no interest
in any commercial aspect of this and the executables would be free to use by
anyone for any purpose. Heck... I don't even believe in patents.

			Jerrold L. Gray
			jgray@pilchuck

trier@cwlim.CWRU.EDU (Stephen C. Trier) (07/09/90)

We've been looking for a version of rrn here, too.  PC-RRN's missing header
files and missing functions appear to be interfaces to an MS-DOS socket
library like the one sold by FTP Software, Inc.  However, there's no way
we can license a commercial implementation for the 500-700 PC's on our net.

I've seen a number of newsreaders implemented under Hypercard on Macs; it's
really disappointing that no one seems to have built one on a PC.  Another
person here is considering porting to the modified Stanford PC/IP kernel
he developed, but it looks to be a huge job.

We can't use UUCP news systems simply because this is a large LAN running
TCP/IP.  We need NNTP, not UUCP.

If anyone comes up with anything, please post it.  The goal on the CWRUnet
is to distribute as much as possible onto the users' PC's, and running news
through six central IBM RT's doesn't do that.

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Home: sct%seldon@scl.cwru.edu              Information Network Services