[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] News uncertainty and delays

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/10/90)

In article <4929@uwm.edu> chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (D. Chadwick Gibbons) writes:
>In article <1990Jun20.032819.23081@uwasa.fi> (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>|In article <8762@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> (bill davidsen) writes:
>|>  Since there is no PKZIP for UNIX, LHARC is a lot faster there. So are
>|>ARC and ZOO. Phil has chosen not to compete in those systems.
>|I've wondering about why.  It doesn't make sound business sense,

The dates of this posting demonstrate one problem that is inherent
in the news, that is that sending them out from a country may be
delayed radically, or news may even not go out at all.  It is seems
highly problable that the news from Finland have not gone out for
3-4 weeks, and now that the problem has (hopefully) been sorted out,
there are (or will be) a bunch delayed postings from a stockpile in
Finland.  Since I am often writing to this group informing about
programs available from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, I wanted to
let you to know that the system is still on, and that some of the
older news may be in the offing.

(Personally, I am not involved with the management of the news
system, so the technical details of this escapade are beyond me, and
my direct control.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)