[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] another mskermit question

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (07/08/90)

Hi:

I sometimes use my laptop as a VT320 terminal at my office.  That is,
I connect it directly to a DEC terminal server and communicate with
a VAX at 19200 baud.  Now, if it is a true VT terminal, I can have
two session logged on at the same time and I can jump from one to
the other by hitting a "break" key to obtain the prompt "local >",
and then I just hit "f" to go forward to the other session.

The question is: which key (or combination of keys) on my pc keyboard
will do the same job as the "break" key on a VT terminal keyboard ?
Thanx in advance !

Patrick
pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (07/09/90)

In article <10510@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>The question is: which key (or combination of keys) on my pc keyboard
>will do the same job as the "break" key on a VT terminal keyboard ?
>Thanx in advance !
>
>Patrick
>pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

^] B (That's CTRL-] and then B) sends a short break and ^] L sends a
long break.  Try the `B'.  If it doesn't wake up the terminal server,
try the `L'.

Neil

Neil I.  Weisenfeld                    | InterNet: weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Dept. of Computer and Info. Sciences   | USPS: I dunno, I'm moving...
University of Pennsylvania             | PENNmail: Don't even try it...

khindria@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Vivek Khindria (CSU)) (07/09/90)

In article <10510@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:
>Hi:
>
>I sometimes use my laptop as a VT320 terminal at my office.  That is,
>I connect it directly to a DEC terminal server and communicate with
>a VAX at 19200 baud.  Now, if it is a true VT terminal, I can have
>two session logged on at the same time and I can jump from one to
>the other by hitting a "break" key to obtain the prompt "local >",
>and then I just hit "f" to go forward to the other session.
>
>The question is: which key (or combination of keys) on my pc keyboard
>will do the same job as the "break" key on a VT terminal keyboard ?
>Thanx in advance !
>
>Patrick
>pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

    The problem may not be as simple as determining the equivalent  break key
for you pc terminal emulator.  Your modem may be connecting to a modem that
hangs directly off your VAX host.  If this is the case, then you can not easily
get multiple sessions.  This is different from the terminal that are connected
to a terminal server, which is what provides the multiple sessions.  In summary,check that the modem that you connect to is connected to a terminal server.

Vivek Khindria
McMaster Univeristy
Hamilton Ont Canada

herman@corpane.UUCP (Harry Herman) (07/13/90)

In <10510@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

>Hi:

>I sometimes use my laptop as a VT320 terminal at my office.  That is,
>I connect it directly to a DEC terminal server and communicate with
>a VAX at 19200 baud.  Now, if it is a true VT terminal, I can have
>two session logged on at the same time and I can jump from one to
>the other by hitting a "break" key to obtain the prompt "local >",
>and then I just hit "f" to go forward to the other session.

>The question is: which key (or combination of keys) on my pc keyboard
>will do the same job as the "break" key on a VT terminal keyboard ?
>Thanx in advance !

>Patrick
>pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

Another possibility is to use the terminal server commands:
	set break local
	set local switch control-char
	set forward switch control-char
	set backward switch control-char
to control codes that normally are not used by your programs.  Then
as long as your programs do not do binary I/O, you can then type
whatever control codes you defined to do the same function.  For
example, I normally use:
	set break  local
	set local switch ^^
	set forward switch ^F
	set backward switch ^B
so that if I type ^^, I get the local> prompt, if I am connected on one
session (that is not doing binary I/O) and type ^F, I get the next session,
and if I type ^B, I get the previous setting.

Note that when typing the set commands, you can use either either ctrl/char
or ^char for the character.  For example, control-F can be typed as either
ctrl/F (one character control code) or ^F (the character ^ and the character
F).  To use the command, it must be typed as ctrl/F.

Also, instead of using set, you can use define to make those settings
permanent, but I cannot recall if you need to set your server port
privileged in order to define those characteristics or not.

For more information, see the "HELP SET PORT" command at the "Local>"
prompt on the terminal server.

				Harry Herman
				herman@corpane.uucp -or-
				..uunet!corpane!herman