[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help with Less123x

lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) (07/15/90)

I downloaded two different copies of Less123x, one from SIMTEL20 and one from
grape.clarkson.etc.  Both of them behave identically.  I was unable to get the
LESS.EXE file to display any files indicated on the command line:

    D:> less -V less.man
    less.man: illegal argument (or something like that)

    D:> less -?
    [flashes window border stuff on screen with nothing inside, then...]
    End of help

Piping files through to LESS.EXE seems to work, but help is still unavailable.
So what am I doing wrong?  Is there an environment variable that less needs?
Or is there one that I might already have that's messing it up?  I've also
tried the above with a SET LESS=V with identical results.

Thanks for any assistance you can render...
(Hey, is it possible that the files on SIMTEL and grape are both corrupt?)
Dwight A Lee / 416 Annie Glidden Rd #B6 / DeKalb IL 60115 / 815-758-1389
lee@chsun.uchicago.edu / "I am not the only dust my mother raised" - TMBG
I speak only for myself. / tCS/BB / Font

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (07/16/90)

An OS/2 AND MS-DOS version of less 123 (which requires NNANSI under DOS)
was posted to comp.binaries.os2 some time ago. Try looking if someone
archives c.b.os2 near to you. This version works well (I did the port
and use it regularly).

Kai Uwe Rommel
Munich
rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (07/17/90)

In article <lee.647988064@chsun1> lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) writes:
>I downloaded two different copies of Less123x, one from SIMTEL20 and one from
>grape.clarkson.etc.  Both of them behave identically.  I was unable to get the
>LESS.EXE file to display any files indicated on the command line:
>(Hey, is it possible that the files on SIMTEL and grape are both corrupt?)

Hmm.. While I have not seen this problem, I do have another complaint about
these versions of LESS.. they appear to have been linked with the buggy video
library from TC 2.0 (as opposed to TC 2.01).  As a result, I couldn't get them
to work reliably with more than 25 lines on the screen.

The solution?  I acquired the source code (from comp.sources.something?) and
re-ported it to MSDOS (special handling of newline sequences, regexp stuff..),
and then linked it against my patched TC 2.0 library.  Works fine now.

Perhaps the problems Dwight experienced are related..
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |