[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Capturing output

klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) (07/11/90)

I'm looking for a utility which works like 'script' in Un*x
(or 'dribble' in Lisp), which allows you to capture everything which
is displayed on the screen in a file.  Anybody have such a program?

Another solution to the problem would be a simple way to redirect printer
output to a file.  From what I can find in the MS-DOS documentation,
it's not too complicated to redirect one printer port to another, but
I don't find any references to redirecting port output to a file.

Kathy Ball

--
Kathy Ball                                             gatech!stiatl!klb
Sales Technologies, Inc

ttp@lanl.gov (T T Phillips) (07/11/90)

In article <10300@stiatl.UUCP>, klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) writes:
> I'm looking for a utility which works like 'script' in Un*x
> (or 'dribble' in Lisp), which allows you to capture everything which
> is displayed on the screen in a file.  Anybody have such a program?

The program concopy by (I believe) Chris Dunford sounds like just what
you need.  It captures standard out and also standard error to a
file.  It works great and is available on simtel,

pd1:<msdos.screen>concpy11.arc

It is a really nice program.  It's free, but it's so good I feel like
I should send in some money.

Terry Phillips
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ttp@beta.lanl.gov

broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (WCC Database) (07/12/90)

In article <10300@stiatl.UUCP>, klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) writes...
>I'm looking for a utility which works like 'script' in Un*x
>(or 'dribble' in Lisp), which allows you to capture everything which
>is displayed on the screen in a file.  Anybody have such a program?
>
>Another solution to the problem would be a simple way to redirect printer
>output to a file.  From what I can find in the MS-DOS documentation,
>it's not too complicated to redirect one printer port to another, but
>I don't find any references to redirecting port output to a file.
>
>Kathy Ball                                             gatech!stiatl!klb
>Sales Technologies, Inc
>3399 Peachtree Rd, NE
>Atlanta, GA  (404) 841-4000

I use a program called prndsk.com that a friend got from SIMTEL20. It
redirects printer output to the filename you specify, so that every time you
press the Print Screen key the screen image is saved in a text file. The text
file can then be edited by any text editor. I use it to document applications
and am very pleased with it.  Unfortunately, I don't know in which subdirectory
you will find this program.

Barbara Roy, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 52242
Phone: 319-335-5506
Internet: broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu     Bitnet: broyva@uiamvs
Disclaimer: My opinions are solely my own and may change daily.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/12/90)

In article <10300@stiatl.UUCP> klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) writes:
>I'm looking for a utility which works like 'script' in Un*x
>(or 'dribble' in Lisp), which allows you to capture everything which
>is displayed on the screen in a file.  Anybody have such a program?

Not quite, but there is a utility called snipper that captures one
ascii screen at a time to a file.  You can download it by anonymous
ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, directory /pc/pd2.

>Another solution to the problem would be a simple way to redirect printer
>output to a file.  From what I can find in the MS-DOS documentation,
>it's not too complicated to redirect one printer port to another, but
>I don't find any references to redirecting port output to a file.

This one goes under the title of frequently asked questions.  There
is a utility called lptx available from the same directory.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (07/12/90)

In article <10300@stiatl.UUCP> klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) writes:
>I'm looking for a utility which works like 'script' in Un*x
>(or 'dribble' in Lisp), which allows you to capture everything which
>is displayed on the screen in a file.  Anybody have such a program?

Kathy, others have mentioned some "screen capture" utilities; I'll not
go in that direction, except to note that any "automatic screen capturer"
would have to know when a program is writing to the screen, and if said
program doesn't use the standard DOS calls for screen writing (and many
don't), automatic capturers couldn't have any way of knowing when they're
supposed to do their thing.

If you are willing to upgrade from messdos to 4dos, there's a TEE function
similar to the UN*X tee that allows you to pipe a standard output to both
a file and a standard input (such as a screen lister or printer verb).

Have you considered attaching a video recorder to your CRT?   ;^)

  "God, what a mess," Platt said, watching the corpse slump to the floor.
       "We're going to get an R-rating for sure." -- Mark E. Rogers
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul11.213440.7798@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>>Another solution to the problem would be a simple way to redirect printer
>>output to a file.  From what I can find in the MS-DOS documentation,
>This one goes under the title of frequently asked questions.  There
>is a utility called lptx available from the same directory.

Thanks for all the responses to my query.  PRN2FILE seems pretty popular,
as does LPTX.  Sorry I brought up a FAQ here -- I'm new to this group.

Kathy Ball

--

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (07/17/90)

In article <10300@stiatl.UUCP>, klb@stiatl.UUCP (Kathy Ball) writes:
> I'm looking for a utility which works like 'script' in Un*x
> (or 'dribble' in Lisp), which allows you to capture everything which
> is displayed on the screen in a file.  Anybody have such a program?

I've got a program called (strangely enuff) "script" which I've
annotated in my archive as

	SCRIPT is similar to the UNIX program of the same name.  While
	running SCRIPT, output that appears on the console, will also be
	saved into a file for later perusal.

I'm sure I got it off USENET sometime; or maybe from an old SIMTEL 20
distribution tape.  The doc file contains the following:

	       "Version 1.0
		Written November 1987 by
		Doug Graham
		24 Brookhaven Court.
		Nepean Ontario Canada

       "I hereby release this program into the public domain. Do with
	it as you please. I would appreciate it if my name were left
	in the source code somewhere."

Source is included - C and assembler.

Enough requests and I'll send it to Bill for redistribuution; few enough to
handle on my own I'll send them out directly.

kEITHe

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (07/19/90)

In article <7810@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>I've got a program called (strangely enuff) "script" which I've
>annotated in my archive as
>
>	SCRIPT is similar to the UNIX program of the same name.  While
>	running SCRIPT, output that appears on the console, will also be
>	saved into a file for later perusal.

Yes, it's available from SIMTEL20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
SCRIPT.ARC    B   22357  880319  Saves console output to a file

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (300/1200/2400/9600 bps HST)

graham@sce.carleton.ca (Doug Graham) (07/20/90)

In article <7810@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:

>I've got a program called (strangely enuff) "script" which I've
>annotated in my archive as
>
>	SCRIPT is similar to the UNIX program of the same name.  While
>	running SCRIPT, output that appears on the console, will also be
>	saved into a file for later perusal.
>
>I'm sure I got it off USENET sometime; or maybe from an old SIMTEL 20
>distribution tape.  The doc file contains the following:
>
>	       "Version 1.0
>		Written November 1987 by
>		Doug Graham

Awesome. This is the first indication I've had that my program went
anywhere but into the bit bucket when I posted it 3 years ago.
It was written using Turbo C 1.0. The only thing I've done to it
since then, were some slight modifications to make it work with
Turbo C 2.0. Works like a champ, except, as is documented, it gets
confused when you start banging on the ^C key while running it.
If anyone is interested, drop me a line and I'll mail it to you.
Or repost if there is enough interest.

----
Doug.

I had choice.
I could have
reformatted
my paragraph
with shorter
lines, or I
could have
added junk
at the end
of the article
to satisfy
inews. Guess
which one I
picked.

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (07/21/90)

In article <7810@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> I wrote:

>I've got a program called (strangely enuff) "script" which I've
>annotated in my archive as...

Thus far I've sent copied to the following

    "Roy M. Silvernail" <sail.labs.tek.com!cybrspc!roy%cs@umn-cs.cs.umn.ed
    880716a@acadiau.ca
    John Vinopal <johnv%metaware@uunet.uu.net>
    Leonard P Levine <levine@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
    Bill Svirsky <svirsky@ttidcc.tti.COM>
    Kris J. Monsen <monsen@eng.sun.COM>
    Jeff Sullivan <jsulliva@killington.prime.COM>
    Claude Morin <klode@biostats.uwo.ca>
    Chuck Boyer <sail.labs.tek.com!sumax!boyer@beaver.cs.washington.edu>
    Walter White <white@tdw206.ed.ray.COM>

and only the one to Roy M. Silvernail has bounced (back) (twice).  I'm
assuming others have received theirs.  And Thanks! to Keith Petersen
for finding it on SIMTEL.

kEITHe