[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] xxencode/decode

uggersho@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Greg Gershowitz) (09/27/88)

   I recently FTP'd XXEncode and XXDecode from SIMTEL20.  However, after
I compiled them w/Microsoft C 5.0, I attempted to encode a file.  It
encoded fine, but instead of being sent into the destination file, the
output got sent to the screen.  I really dont want to specify the output
file twice.  What do I do?

- The Priest
- Uggersho@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu
- Uggersho@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu
"...and the Maples scream `Opression!' and the Oaks just shake their
 heads..." - RUSH

w8sdz@smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (09/27/88)

The following script can be used with the Unix uuencode to make it
output to a file instead of your terminal.  Name it "uue" or something
similar that's easy to remember.

uuencode $1 $1 > $1.uue

Syntax:  uue my.arc
Produces: my.arc.uue

--
--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]

m1edb00@fed.FRB.GOV (Eric D. Boutilier) (09/28/88)

In article <1524@cs.Buffalo.EDU> uggersho@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Greg Gershowitz) writes:

>   I recently FTP'd XXEncode and XXDecode from SIMTEL20.  However, after
>I compiled them w/Microsoft C 5.0, I attempted to encode a file.  It
>encoded fine, but instead of being sent into the destination file, the
>output got sent to the screen...

These programs were originally designed to encode standard
input, give it a name, and pipe it to standard output.
It would operate something like this:

someprogram | uuencode filename | mail ....

But, like you, I'm usually encoding an existing file and
want to create a new file... no pipes involved.
To do this, give the source file name, another name
for what you want it to be called when it's de-coded
(usually the SAME name), and then direct the output to a file:

EXAMPLE:

uuencode procomm.exe procomm.exe > procomm.enc

--
Eric Boutilier
UUCP: uunet!fed!m1edb00

szabo@aludra.usc.edu (Lord Dethedrus) (07/26/90)

	Does anyone have an executable version of xxdecode or know where I'd
be able to find one?

 _____                                                                   _____
( ___ )-----------------------------------------------------------------( ___ )
 |   |                                      ||   szabo@aludra.usc.edu    |   |
 |   |          />                          |+===========================|   |
 |   |         /<            Lord Dethedrus ||               _           |   |
 |   | [\\\\\\(O):::<=====================- ||   ||    /__  / || || //   |   |
 |   |         \<           Knight Defender ||   ||/\     |   || ||</    |   |
 |   |          \>                          ||   ||  > \__/   || || \    |   |
 |___|                                      ||      /                >   |___|
(_____)-----------------------------------------------------------------(_____)

dmm0t@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Meyer) (07/26/90)

In article <11036@chaph.usc.edu> szabo@aludra.usc.edu (Lord Dethedrus) writes:

>	Does anyone have an executable version of xxdecode or know where I'd
>be able to find one?

Richard Marx's version of uuencode/decode has an option to use
xxencode/decode instead.  It should be available from simtel20;
I also just put in on uvaarpa.virginia.edu (which is an anonymous
ftp site) under /public_access/uuexe402.zip for a friend of mine.
Feel free to get it from there.

--
David M. Meyer                                       dmm0t@virginia.edu
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

In article <11036@chaph.usc.edu> szabo@aludra.usc.edu (Lord Dethedrus) writes:

| 	Does anyone have an executable version of xxdecode or know where I'd
| be able to find one?

How about any of the ones posted here?

    v06i184: uuexe402, new versions of uu{en,de}code
    v07i023: qux3_90, uuencode and xxencode, and decoders

    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX