[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 4DOS Key Remapping

solomon@nike..FtCollins.NCR.com (Richard L. Solomon) (07/24/90)

I too would like to move the file completion key to another place.  Two
e-mail messages to JP SW have
gone completely unregarded.  I guess I'll have to make a $phone$ call to
them.  Anyone interested in
remapping 4DOS keys please e-mail me.  That way I'll have some ammo to
answer the expected "Why should
we bother?" question.

Thanks

-----

Richard Solomon
Richard.Solomon@ColoSpgs.NCR.COM

NCR Microelectronics
1635 Aeroplaza Drive
Colorado Springs, CO  80916
(719) 596-5795 x386

lao@acsu.buffalo.edu (david q lao) (07/30/90)

Re-assigning keys can be easy when you have "device = ansi.sys" in your
config.sys file.

example

To re-assign the 4DOS filename completion key F9 to the TAB key, do the
following

>echo ESC[9;0;67p

to get the ESC char, hold down ALT and type 255 on the keypad and release
ALT and than hold down ALT again type 27 on the keypad and release ALT.

for more detail on reassigning keys check the ansi section of your DOS
manual. Good luck

David Qing Lao,   State Univ. of New York at Buffalo, Dept. of Computer Science
INTERNET: lao@sun.cs.buffalo.edu        BITNET: lao%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvms.bitnet
UUCP: ...!{rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!lao

solomon@nike..FtCollins.NCR.com (Richard L. Solomon) (07/31/90)

> Re-assigning keys can be easy when you have "device = ansi.sys" in your
> config.sys file.
>
> example
>
> To re-assign the 4DOS filename completion key F9 to the TAB key, do the
> following
>
> >echo ESC[9;0;67p
>
> to get the ESC char, hold down ALT and type 255 on the keypad and release
> ALT and than hold down ALT again type 27 on the keypad and release ALT.
>
> for more detail on reassigning keys check the ansi section of your DOS
> manual. Good luck

> David Qing Lao,   State Univ. of New York at Buffalo, Dept. of
Computer Science
> INTERNET: lao@sun.cs.buffalo.edu        BITNET:
lao%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvms.bitnet
> UUCP: ...!{rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!lao

	Thanks, but I (and most people who have corresponded with me) am WELL aware
of using ANSI.SYS to redefine keys.  This redefinition just happens to
cause slight
problems if one wants to use the TAB key in one's favorite editor for
example.  Any
fool can redefine the keys, what we are after is altering what keys 4dos
expects.

BTW, someone mailed me regarding an incorrect e-mail address for JP
Software.  I
requested that they send the correct address, but have received no
reply.  Thanks
to all who replied with ME TOO! to the key redefinition.  I'll try and
reach JP SW
this week by phone and post whatever conclusion is reached.

-----

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (08/01/90)

In <510@ncr-mpd.FtCollins> solomon@nike..FtCollins.NCR.com
(Richard L. Solomon) writes:

>> To re-assign the 4DOS filename completion key F9 to the TAB key, do the
>> following
>>
>> >echo ESC[9;0;67p
>>
>> David Qing Lao
>> INTERNET: lao@sun.cs.buffalo.edu

> This redefinition just happens to cause slight problems if one wants
> to use the TAB key in one's favorite editor for example.

Doesn't seem to bother WordPerfect 5.1 nor it's ASCII partner, WP
Office Editor 3.0.  Nor does the remap affect software like Free VI
(version 1.9) by Sue Doe Nim.

> Any fool can redefine the keys ...

Jeez.  Lighten up!

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

fer@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fernando guzman) (08/01/90)

In article <mr.649458607@ogre> mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) writes:
>In <510@ncr-mpd.FtCollins> solomon@nike..FtCollins.NCR.com
>
>> This redefinition just happens to cause slight problems if one wants
>> to use the TAB key in one's favorite editor for example.
>
>Doesn't seem to bother WordPerfect 5.1 nor it's ASCII partner, WP
>Office Editor 3.0.  Nor does the remap affect software like Free VI
>(version 1.9) by Sue Doe Nim.

Doesn't bother JOVE either.

Fernando

dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) (08/03/90)

david q lao <lao@acsu.buffalo.edu> writes in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d:
> Re-assigning keys can be easy when you have "device = ansi.sys" in your
> config.sys file.

> example

> To re-assign the 4DOS filename completion key F9 to the TAB key, do the
> following

> >echo ESC[9;0;67p

> to get the ESC char, hold down ALT and type 255 on the keypad and release
> ALT and than hold down ALT again type 27 on the keypad and release ALT.

Unfortunately, 4DOS's "cancel command" key is ESC.  After I release the ALT
key for the second time, 4DOS sees the ESC and cancels the command line.  All
previously entered characters (echo <space>) disappear.

Dave Kruger
Hewlett-Packard Australian Software Operation (ASO)  //|  ___  ___
PO Box 439, Ringwood, Victoria, 3134, AUSTRALIA.    // | |    |   |
phone: Inter.+613 8711666,                         //--| !--| |   |
Outbnd Mkt/Support/Admin FAX: Inter.+613 8702169  //   | ___| |___|
                     Lab FAX: Inter.+613 8794696 //

HP-UX Mail:      dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com
HPdesk: Dave Kruger/HPY200/UX    ACSnet address: dak@hpausla.oz