[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZIP source

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (07/31/90)

In article <cagnSNm00VAx46aEkp@andrew.cmu.edu>,
jt1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph L. Traub) asked:

	Can any one tell me where to find sources to compile a
	zip/dezip and an arc/dearc program on a unix box.

In article <1990Jul30.082510.1447@uwasa.fi>,
ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) replied:

	Directory /unix/ts by anonymous from ftp chyde.uwasa.fi,
	Vaasa, Finland.  Or get the Simtel20 filelist SIMIBM.ARC
	and find the answer there.

Note that, to the best of my knowledge, there is currently =NO= publicly
available source code version of a program to =create= ZIP files, any-
where.  Not at Vaasa, not on SIMTEL20, not anywhere in the whole world.

There =is= a program, available in source form, to un-ZIP a ZIP file.
But, at the moment, the one and only way I know of to create a ZIP file
is to do it on a PC (or compatible, of course) using Phil Katz's PKZIP.

I am currently working on a ZIP program in my spare time, by the way.
However, since I don't seem to have too much spare time these days :-},
I'm not ready to give an estimate as to when I'll have something I can
distribute.  Please -- no need to send me any "please send me a copy
when it's done" mail; when/if I finish it, you'll hear about it.

--
-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (08/04/90)

wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>In article <cagnSNm00VAx46aEkp@andrew.cmu.edu>,
>jt1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph L. Traub) asked:
>
>	Can any one tell me where to find sources to compile a
>	zip/dezip and an arc/dearc program on a unix box.

I know ARC is available.  We're running it on this system.  To find out
more, mail  cc@wet.UUCP.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_