[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] How to find programs

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/06/90)

In article <21700006@suna7> fireman@suna7.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Can anyone tell me of a public domain clone (or enhanced version) of
>Norton DOS Editor?  The F3 key just doesn't do it when you want to go back
>several commands.

Asking and getting information about PD and shareware programs and
their whereabouts is one of the usages of c.b.i.p.d.  Seeing a reply
posted here will help also other users finding useful programs.
Nevertheless, there is one general answer which can be invoked when
the question (like this one) concerns utilities that should be the
basic knowledge of almost every PC user.  This general answer is
first to look at file lists.  For more details on file lists see the
extract below from a prerecorded chyde.uwasa.fi Q&A files.

As for DOS command line editors, there are some very useful ones
around.  A utility called ced (our directory /pc/pd2), or the
advanced anarkey (/pc/sysutil) system are such utilities.

15. *****
 Q: I am interested to know if there exists a program for such and
such purpose.  Would you point me in the right direction.  (This
question also often occurs in the news postings.)

 A1: Most often the best answer is to look through file lists.  We
have several such lists which should together have quite a good
coverage of the PD programs in circulation.  These lists are
/pc/0contents, /pc/pd2/0dir-pd2, /pc/ts/0dir-ts (lists for our site,
chyde.uwasa.fi), /pc/pd2/files-mm.zip (a good English speaking
Finnish BBS), and /pc/pd2/simibm.zip (Simtel20 list).

A2: How to find files on chyde.uwasa.fi: If you are looking for a
particular program at chyde.uwasa.fi you should always start by
getting the following three files:
   /pc/0contents
   /pc/pd2/0dir-pd2
   /pc/ts/0dir-ts
And for seeing what is new in the /pc/pd2 and /pc/ts directories,
get
   /pc/pd2/0news-pd2
   /pc/ts/0news-ts

A3: To save you the trouble of downloading all of those files if all
you want is to search for one or two programs, you can use an index
server maintained by Raymond Chen (raymond@math.berkeley.edu).  To
obtain instructions, send email with the subject "Command" (the
subject is crucial) and containing the single word "help" to one of
the following addresses (please choose the address closer to you):
	raymond@math.berkeley.edu		(California, USA)
	rjc@math.princeton.edu			(New Jersey, USA)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)