[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Experience with bargain 80287

heirich@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Alan Heirich) (07/31/90)

About a month ago someone posted information about bargain priced
80287.  If I recall correctly, they were available for $100 each
from a company in Chicago (?)

Has anyone had experience using one of these chips in a 12 MHz AT?
If so, can you you tell us if you had any problems, and repost the
address/phone number of the supplier?

thank you,

Alan Heirich   heirich@aurel.cns.caltech.edu
Program in Computation and Neural Systems
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91125

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/31/90)

>About a month ago someone posted information about bargain priced
>80287.  If I recall correctly, they were available for $100 each
>from a company in Chicago (?)

Look at PC Week. It is advertised in this magazine.

>Has anyone had experience using one of these chips in a 12 MHz AT?
>If so, can you you tell us if you had any problems, and repost the
>address/phone number of the supplier?

I believe my friend is in the process to order one.
I forgot the address/phone number.

/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (07/31/90)

In article <1238400005@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>About a month ago someone posted information about bargain priced
>>80287.  If I recall correctly, they were available for $100 each
>>from a company in Chicago (?)
>
> Look at PC Week. It is advertised in this magazine.
>

>>Has anyone had experience using one of these chips in a 12 MHz AT?
>>If so, can you you tell us if you had any problems, and repost the
>>address/phone number of the supplier?

I got one here in Canada.  As I reside in a rather remote location, I
asked them to send it by mail.  It arrived within 12 days (and
Customs didn't even sock me for our 12% Federal Sales Tax, nor any
duties if any are still around these days).  It works fine on my Dell
200 12.5 Mz machine (AT clone).  This machine can be set to run the
coprocessor at 2/3 CPU speed *or* at CPU speed.  AMD says that there
aren't any heat risks (due to the fact it is a CMOS chip) from
running the chip fast, but that there is a risk of errors at speeds
greater than 10.75 Mz as that is the cutoff point for flunking their
test suite.  Experimenting on FRACTINT v.13 and Quattro,I have found
no errors but also that the difference between running the 287 at 8.3
vs. 12.5 Mz is only about 10%.  As such, I've decided to go with the
slower speed as the big difference is just plain *having* the
coprocessor in the machine in the first place.

You are reading one satisfied customer's reply.

John Garland

Bitnet:  jgarland@mun
Internet: jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (07/31/90)

In article <12085@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> heirich@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Alan Heirich) writes:
>About a month ago someone posted information about bargain priced
>80287.  If I recall correctly, they were available for $100 each
	[DELETIONS]
>Has anyone had experience using one of these chips in a 12 MHz AT?
>If so, can you you tell us if you had any problems, and repost the
>address/phone number of the supplier?

HERE IS INFO I SENT A WHILE BACK TO OUR LOCAL PC USERS:

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 11:22:52 EDT
Subject: CHEAP ($99 half-price) 80C287 Math Coprocessors

Call AMD at 1-800-888-5590 about their $99 deal on 10 MHz
80C287 Coprocessors. Saw this in #30005 comp.sys.ibm.pc.
Accept VISA, MC.
AMD = Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Austin, TX
These are CMOS chips requiring less power than vanilla 80287.
The going rate in Computer Shopper
for the last several months has been $215 or so.
These are 10 mHz chips, suitable for use with 80286 running
12 mHz or less.
Compatible with Intel 80287 (but NOT with 80287A for some reason).
30 day warranty. They will refund money for defective chip within
first 30 days.
LIFETIME GUARANTEE: After 30 days, AMD will replace defective chip.
I could not resist. +6% tax + $6 regular mail shipping.

I RECEIVED THE CHIP VIA REGULAR MAIL IN 10 DAYS AND THEN POSTED
THIS LOCALLY:

	I installed the AMD 10MHz 80C287 Math Coprocessor
in my 12MHz 80286 machine last night. This chip, which
AMD is currently selling for $99 (compare INTEL 80287 @ $210),
passes INTEL's CHKCOP v. 2.00 Coprocessor diagnostic. It also
passes MicroWay's 87TEST 8087 diagnostic. AMD's chip is touted as
being completely compatible with the INTEL 80287.
	I ran my benchmark of 128 1024-point FFT's after installing
the 80C287 and got the following results:

	No Coprocessor : 945 seconds
      With Coprocessor : 202 seconds

This represents a speedup by a factor of 4.7.

	The AMD 80C287 CMOS coprocessor felt barely warm
to the touch.
	So far, I'm happy.

Bob Davis              \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

lhughes@b11.ingr.com (Lawrence Hughes) (07/31/90)

I just received my $99 AMD 80c287 chip - although they "lost" my first order,
it showed up two days after I checked back in to see what happened.... The
chip installed in my 10MHz AST Premium 286 with no problem - it operates at
2/3 the 286 clock speed, so actually this part should work ok in systems with
up to 15(?)MHz clocks (you might get by with 16MHz.. haven't tried it). I
found factor of 2 to 6 speed-ups over 286 alone, depending on how FP intensive
each APP was... well worth the $99 price...

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (or at least I haven't heard anyone
mention this yet): I also have a JDR 386/25 MB that has both 387 and 287 FPP
sockets - the manual says you need a 25MHz FPP (!), but if you check with JDR,
they confirm the info in the Intel books that indicate you CAN do this if you
run the 287 socket with a lower speed clock (AIN'T no such thing as a 25MHz
287...). I tried my 10 MHz AMD 80c287 in this socket, and by golly, not only
did it work, but all timing tests showed about a 1.5 factor improvement over
the 286/287 combo... basically on FP intensive stuff, typical timings were:

	System			Time (sec)

	10 MHz 286 alone	10.0
	25 MHz 386 alone	 4.5
	286 / 287		 3.2	(287 actually running at 6.67 MHz?)
	386 / 287		 2.4

The improvement in the 286 was greater, but the ABSOLUTE speed in the 386
was even greater - gee-- which one should I leave it in? Long term no question,
AMD is rumored to be offering a 387 deal soon...

Also, Windows 3.0 (and everything else I tried) found the "80x87" and used it
correctly in both cases (with 286 and with 386).

BTW - anyone know how the AMD part compares with Intel, Weitek, IIT or other
287s? Some of them claim higher throughput at same clock compared to Intel...

For now, however, call 800-888-5590 for the 80c287 offer...

But what about the difference in speed between the AMD 287 and the Intel 287?

Everybody's posting speed diffs between software math and AMD's 287.  That's
boring, because if you knew how bad most of the software math packs are,
you would not be impressed by a 5 time speedup.

                                 Enough

Let's move this to the comp.sys.ibm.pc.hadware or somewhere. It has
nothing to do with any binaries posted here.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug01.175639.10728@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
	[Some stuff deleted]

>Everybody's posting speed diffs between software math and AMD's 287.  That's
>boring, because if you knew how bad most of the software math packs are,
>you would not be impressed by a 5 time speedup.
>--
>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

	Yes. Sometimes the SOFTWARE emulation of FULL coprocessor
hardware-precision is VERY slow. Perhaps there is no way around
this--I do not know. What I do know is that in Microsoft FORTRAN,
doing full-blown coprocessor accuracy using software emulation
routines, a certain floating point-intensive benchmark of mine
takes:
	945 seconds (full coprocessor accuracy FP software routines)

Adding the AMD 80C287 coprocessor reduces the time by a factor of
4.7:
	202 seconds (80C287 coprocessor, full floating point accuracy).

HOWEVER, if one accepts the reduced accuracy available with the
Microsoft FORTRAN Alternate Math Library (/FPa option), the benchmark
time WITHOUT A COPROCESSOR drops to:

	290 seconds (No coprocessor, reduced accuracy FP routines).

I have found in several spectral analysis applications making
heavy use of floating point-intensive FFT analysis routines, that
the accuracy using /FPa is completely adequate. For such applications
where one can use the reduced accuracy software floating point
routines, one will be much less fascinated with the speedups
associated with an expensive coprocessor (in my case, quoted
above, I went from 290 seconds with no coprocessor, to 202 with it--both
at acceptable floating point accuracies).
	The bottom line is: use reduced accuracy, hence faster,
software routines if you can accept the results. You may find
that a coprocessor is more of a luxury than you first thought.
	However, if money is no	major obstacle, go for the
coprocessor--there WILL be applications where the full floating
point accuracy is required.

doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) (08/02/90)

>About a month ago someone posted information about bargain priced
>80287.  If I recall correctly, they were available for $100 each
>from a company in Chicago (?)

Here's the scoop on the AMD 80287-compatible coprocessor.  I ordered one
Monday, and am expecting it Friday.

Company:     Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).
Chip:        80C-287 Math Coprocessor (low-power CMOS).
Speed:       10Mhz (since 2/3 rule applies to 80286 machines, this chip
	     will run in machines where the CPU runs up to 16 MHz.  Yeah, I
	     know, 2/3 * 16 = 10.66, but the AMD guy claimed that the chip
	     was good to this tolerance (only 6.6% out of spec).)
Compatible:  Supposed to be 100% compatible; since someone on the net
	     mentioned that AMD was using Intel code under license,
	     I would imagine that they are as compatible as you can get.
Shipping:    In stock, shipping immediately.
Warranty:    Lifetime (maximum two replacements)
Price:       $99.00
Tax:         They add state tax to the price.
Phone:       1-800-888-5590
Credit:      Visa/MC accepted at no extra charge, COD add $4.00.

Other speeds may be available but I didn't ask.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Dave Doerschuk

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson. MedNet, G|teborgs Universitet) (08/08/90)

In article <8405@b11.ingr.com>, lhughes@b11.ingr.com (Lawrence Hughes) writes:
> AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (or at least I haven't heard anyone
> mention this yet): I also have a JDR 386/25 MB that has both 387 and 287 FPP
> sockets - the manual says you need a 25MHz FPP (!), but if you check with JDR,
> they confirm the info in the Intel books that indicate you CAN do this if you
> run the 287 socket with a lower speed clock (AIN'T no such thing as a 25MHz
> 287...). I tried my 10 MHz AMD 80c287 in this socket, and by golly, not only
> did it work, but all timing tests showed about a 1.5 factor improvement over
> the 286/287 combo... basically on FP intensive stuff, typical timings were:

Most 386 mothercards with both 387 and 287 sockets runs the 387 syncronous
with the 386 (at same speed) and the 287 asyncronous (slower speed). 8Mhz
are very common and the timings below seems to showing the 386 / 287
running with the 287 at 8Mhz.

> 	System			Time (sec)
>
> 	10 MHz 286 alone	10.0
> 	25 MHz 386 alone	 4.5
> 	286 / 287		 3.2	(287 actually running at 6.67 MHz?)
> 	386 / 287		 2.4

If the 386-mothercard are made with CHIPS & TECH chipsset, it's maybe possible
to change the 287 clock source beetwen 8Mhz bussclock, 1/2 cpu-clock or 1/3
cpu-clock. On my old 386, I can set FPP-speed to 1/2 cpu-clock (20Mhz) which
gaves me a FPP-speed at 10Mhz. 1/3 (20/3 = 6.67) are also possible and even
8Mhz from the bussclock. If I run the CPU-clock at 16Mhz, it's possible to
run the FPP at slowy 5.33 Mhz :-)