[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WQVT

wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) (08/08/90)

 I got WinQVT recently posted on cpib and found it a very nice and
convenient program on Window3. BTW, I could upload to UNIX mainframe
but could not download from. It just aborts. Could anyone tell me how
to do it ?

 One more question about WinQVT.
How reliable is it when transfering files ?
In original Kermit(on MS-DOS), we can adjust packet lenths and error
check bits according to communication line status.
Does WindQVT do this automatically or does it really check errors ?

I hope that the author would add some lines to the Transfer window
that shows the error status and can change parameters about error check,
because I think that reliability is more important than convenience.

------
W. Jin

etxbrfa@kk41.ericsson.se (Bj|rn Fahller TT/RKG) (08/09/90)

I have a question about this too. It seems to be nice and I guess all
American users will like it a lot. For me, using a Swedish keyboard, it's a
pain though. It seems to try to use an American keyboard but it's not all
successful. Probably fighting a bit with keyboard.sys. Is there something
that can be done about it. Either making it understand my Swedish keyboard
or at least have it successfully believe it's American (without affecting
other programs). This is actually the only program I've ever had this
problem with.

   _
/Bjorn.

lhv@philpav.UUCP (Leo H.Vermeulen) (08/09/90)

I would like to report two problems with WinQVT...

First problem: the program seems to have trouble understanding foreign
character sets. I have a PC on which Windows3 is set up to use the
Swedish character set. This means that the '/' character is under
shift-7, the '%' is under shift-5, and so on (don't ask me why, I'm
dutch, I'm just reporting the problem).  Well, when typing shift-7
what is echoed on my screen is '/&' (2 characters), these being the
characters that are assigned to shift-7 on an Swedish AND on a
American keyboard. Several other characters have a similar problem.
But then again, some don't. Does anyone have the same problem
(Germany?, Norway?)

Second problem: the program does not support a non-scrolling line 25.
It doesn't support line 25, for that matter.
I use the line to display the time, date, and some more data, and
under e.g. Kermit the line remains fixed on position 25. WinQVT
doesn't seem to have a line 25. I might be mistaken, but doesn't a
standard VT100/VT220 support this??

WinQVT is a thousandfold improvement over the brain-damaged VT100
emulator that comes with Windows-3, and it's great to be able to
connect to Unix from within Windows, but I have still to meet a VT100
emulator that does as good a job as Kermit does .

--
  |----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leo Vermeulen, Philips TDS, Stockholm, Sweden            |   This is no       |

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (08/10/90)

One question about WinQVT.

I noticed that the F1-F12 keys can be programmed ... but because here we
use a vt200 compatible with 16 function keys, I was hoping to be able
to program shift/alt/ctlr F# as well ... can I?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/10/90)

etxbrfa@kk41.ericsson.se (Bj|rn Fahller TT/RKG) writes:

>I have a question about this too. It seems to be nice and I guess all
>American users will like it a lot. For me, using a Swedish keyboard, it's a
>pain though. It seems to try to use an American keyboard but it's not all
>successful. Probably fighting a bit with keyboard.sys. Is there something
>that can be done about it. Either making it understand my Swedish keyboard
>or at least have it successfully believe it's American (without affecting
>other programs). This is actually the only program I've ever had this
>problem with.

>   _
>/Bjorn.

Have you ever tried the terminal.exe program which comes with
Windows 3.0?

On my German keyboard I am not able to type any characters
which are accessible via the right ALT key, only. This
includes such valuable characters as |, @, ~, {, [, ], } and \.
Terminal simply beeps if I type any of these characters. This
is the only place in Windows 3.0 where entering these characters does
*not* work. This behavior makes Windows 3's terminal program useless
if one uses the standard German keyboard layout.

The file manager has a similar quirk: its file menu entry lists
accelerators CTRL+/ for "select all" and CTRL+\ for "select nothing".

The problem is, on a German keyboard / is a shifted key (above the 7),
and \ is reachable using the right ALT key, only. Of course, neither
SHIFT+CTRL+/ nor ALTGR+CTRL+(the German letter sz) work.

Wolfgang
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

lhv@philpav.UUCP (Leo H.Vermeulen) writes:

>I would like to report two problems with WinQVT...

>First problem: the program seems to have trouble understanding foreign
>character sets. I have a PC on which Windows3 is set up to use the
>Swedish character set. This means that the '/' character is under
>shift-7, the '%' is under shift-5, and so on (don't ask me why, I'm
>dutch, I'm just reporting the problem).  Well, when typing shift-7
>what is echoed on my screen is '/&' (2 characters), these being the
>characters that are assigned to shift-7 on an Swedish AND on a
>American keyboard. Several other characters have a similar problem.
>But then again, some don't. Does anyone have the same problem
>(Germany?, Norway?)

Yes. I tried WinQvt 4.30 and noticed the same behavior on my
standard 102 key MF-II compatible German keyboard. The keys above
1234567890 (the shifted keys) should be
!" $%&/()= on a German keyboard.
  ^ this was a ^U, which is the paragraph sign of the
    German typewriter. It is below 0x20, but printable. Really!

Instead I get
! @" #' $ % ^ &/ * ( )=
1 2  3  4 5 6 7  8 9 0

> [second question deleted, I don't know the answer]

>WinQVT is a thousandfold improvement over the brain-damaged VT100
>emulator that comes with Windows-3, and it's great to be able to
>connect to Unix from within Windows, but I have still to meet a VT100
>emulator that does as good a job as Kermit does .

What do you think I am using here? :-)

MSDOS Kermit 3.01 runs quite well under Windows 3 in enhancede,
in a window. But I would like to get a real Windows program with
similar capabilities, because Kermit consumes too much cpu cycles
(virtualization of old DOS applications is not that efficient under
Windows 3), and because of the user interface.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Houle) (08/11/90)

Another bug - is it just us?  Using the left arrow key blanks the
screen and the PC locks up.  This is independent of the host
connection.  My system is a NCR PC820 (80286) with minimal other
programs running (clock & KFree at the moment).

--
Bill Houle                       bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
NCR SE-San Diego                 (619) 693-5593