[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Waffle and Norton Editor

lupic@micasa.UUCP (Jack Lupic) (08/10/90)

I am using Waffle 1.62 and have added Norton Editor,1.3c to edit email
and post messages.

Waffle has a signature file that can be appended to the end of a message
when this message gets written.It works fine with the Waffle internal
editor but I just cannot see how to append the sig file at the end
of my message with Norton Editor,any ideas?

Jack Lupic

Scarborough,Ontario

Canada

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/11/90)

lupic@micasa.UUCP (Jack Lupic) writes:

> I am using Waffle 1.62 and have added Norton Editor,1.3c to edit email
> and post messages.
>
> Waffle has a signature file that can be appended to the end of a message
> when this message gets written.It works fine with the Waffle internal
> editor but I just cannot see how to append the sig file at the end
> of my message with Norton Editor,any ideas?

I'm writing this with Waffle 1.62 and Qedit. You'll see the signature
below, which Waffle added just fine.

First thing to check is that you have a 'mailsig' for mail, and a
properly named sig for posting. The news sig name is defined in your
'usenet' file. I use 'sig' now, but when I ran as a BBS, I used sig for
local groups and netsig for news.

If, after you confirm the filenames are correct, you still don't get a
signature, try a different external editor. (although I can't see how
the external editor would make a difference)

Finally, if nothing at all works, mail me and I'll send you the editor
executive module I wrote while I was still using 1.60 (which _did_ have
a bug appending sig to externally edited files)
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (08/12/90)

In article <39ZoN4w162w@micasa.UUCP>, lupic@micasa (Jack Lupic) writes:

>I am using Waffle 1.62 and have added Norton Editor,1.3c to edit email
>and post messages.
>
>Waffle has a signature file that can be appended to the end of a message
>when this message gets written.It works fine with the Waffle internal
>editor but I just cannot see how to append the sig file at the end
>of my message with Norton Editor,any ideas?

If the Norton Editor is appending a ^Z to the end of the file, the
mailer probably stops there and doesn't go on to read the .sig after
it.  If this is the case, there may be a way to stop Norton from
wrtiting out the ^Z.

Neil

P.S. -- This is all just speculation since I haven't used either
program.

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/12/90)

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:

> In article <39ZoN4w162w@micasa.UUCP>, lupic@micasa (Jack Lupic) writes:
> >... I just cannot see how to append the sig file at the end
> >of my message with Norton Editor,any ideas?
> >
> If the Norton Editor is appending a ^Z to the end of the file, the
> mailer probably stops there and doesn't go on to read the .sig after
> it.  If this is the case, there may be a way to stop Norton from
> wrtiting out the ^Z.

Neil has indeed found the culprit. I just made a test post, using Qedit,
and included a ^Z at the end. Sure enough, there was no signature
appended. (of course, I killed that test post :-)

Qedit doesn't add the ^Z automatically. You may want to try using it, or
a similar editor, instead of Norton.
--

lupic@micasa.UUCP (Jack Lupic) (08/12/90)

cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

> I'm writing this with Waffle 1.62 and Qedit. You'll see the signature
> below, which Waffle added just fine.
>
> First thing to check is that you have a 'mailsig' for mail, and a
> properly named sig for posting. The news sig name is defined in your
> 'usenet' file. I use 'sig' now, but when I ran as a BBS, I used sig for
> local groups and netsig for news.
>
> If, after you confirm the filenames are correct, you still don't get a
> signature, try a different external editor. (although I can't see how
> the external editor would make a difference)

I have just switched over to Qedit 2.1 and the SIG file does get appended
to the end of a post or email as you indicate.

It turns out that Norton Editor and another editor I was using,Brief 2.1,
add CTRL-Z to the end of the written file while Waffle likes a NUL.

When you first configure Qedit,if you notice,it asks you if you wan't to
write the end of the file with CTRL-Z or a NUL.

Waffle,I think,should be configurable to accept either.

Cheers,
Jack Lupic    Scarborough,Ont.,CAN.   Vox: +1 416 431-0651
Internet: lupic%micasa@torag.UUCP        OR lupic%micasa@contact.UUCP
UUCP: lupic%micasa%torag@cs.toronto.edu  OR !becker!contact!micasa!lupic

= "The three most dangerous things in the world are:
a programmer with a    = = soldering iron, a hardware type with a
program patch and a user with     = = an idea."