[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] EX clone for the PC?

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (08/13/90)

O.K.  laughs >/dev/null and flames >/dev/null.

That said, I am looking for an MS-DOS version of the UNIX ex editor.
I use Stevie and Epsilon normally, but would like to have a small,
powerful replacement for edlin--something I could leaving lying around
on PCs at work without having someone complain about space or killing
the ANSI.SYS driver.

Thanks,
Neil

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/13/90)

Not precisely `ex'... but I have an `ed' clone lying around.  I can mail
it out if somebody wants it, or upload it to c.b.i.p. if there's a lot
of demand.

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (08/14/90)

In article <27967@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>I am looking for an MS-DOS version of the UNIX ex editor.

MKS vi, which comes with the MKS Toolkit and is also sold by itself, has an
ex mode.  You can start it with "vi -e" for ex mode, or you can make a copy
of vi.exe renamed to ex.exe and it will always start up in ex mode.
(Assuming you run DOS 3.0 or above.)

A friend of mine used the MKS ex.exe in a batch file to process the output
of a diff command.  The diff command has an option to emit a script for ed,
and ex is a superset of ed.  (If you think you were wide open for ridicule,
picture my friend running around a bunch of non-UNIX people asking for a
copy of _ed_ for MS-DOS!)
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

Robert.Biddle@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Robert Biddle) (08/14/90)

Mortice Kern Systems has an Ex clone for the PC.
I use it when I have to use a PC, and find it a completely painless
transition from Unix to DOS.
Note also that Ex and Vi are different parts of the same
program, both in the original Unix versions and in the MKS clone.

Looking at my manual, MKS are:
35 King Street North, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2J 2W9
Tel. (519) 884-2251  Fax. (519) 884-8861
uunet!watmath!mks!enquiry
--------
Robert Biddle, Computer Science, Victoria University, Wellington
Internet: Robert.Biddle@Comp.VUW.Ac.NZ               NEW ZEALAND
Telecom:  Voice +64 4 721-000 ext. 8546; Facsimile +64 4 712-070

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (08/14/90)

The free vi-clone Elvis also has the ex commands.  It should appear soon
on comp.sources.unix.  Elvis was submitted some months ago but this
newsgroup often has a long queue.

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (08/15/90)

In article <27967@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>I use Stevie and Epsilon normally, but would like to have a small,
>powerful replacement for edlin--something I could leaving lying around
>on PCs at work without having someone complain about space or killing
>the ANSI.SYS driver.

In my earlier posting, I mentioned that MKS vi has an ex mode.  I just
realized that's not what you *really* want, though.  You want a small
vi-like editor that does not need ANSI.SYS or any other screen driver.
Again the answer is MKS vi; it writes directly to the screen and does not
need any driver.