[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Invitation to upload to chyde.uwasa.fi

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/19/90)

Since some users may not know this I would like to inform you that
we invite quality uploads to chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland,
128.214.12.3.  In particular this is an invitation to users who have
their own good programs which the user would like to see distributed
using anonymous ftp.  (Asking for users' own programs does not
exclude uploading useful general PD and shareware programs, as
well).

Of course, we would especially like to see quality programs from
Finland, but note that all the submitted programs and their
documentation must be in English.

All kinds of programs will be considered, but good utilities (which
have general interest) are highest on the list.  Documentation
(either self-documentation or in the package) is also required.
Note, that all text file uploads of religious, political, or
support-a-cause nature will be ignored outright.

If you have a package that you would like to upload, put it in our
/incoming directory, and please email an explanation to my fellow
moderator Harri Valkama (hv@chyde.uwasa.fi) and / or myself.  Harri
is taking care of almost all the /incoming uploads, while I might
occasionally take part in the process depending on the nature of the
program.  The preferred method of packing is .zip.

If you would prefer to email your program uuencoded, please first
discuss this with us.  This mode is also welcome, but we would like
you to contact us by email before the actual emailing of your
uuencoded package.

(While this is outside the scope of the current subject, please also
note that we cannot consent to the frequent requests of emailing
programs uuencoded from chyde.uwasa.fi archives, whatever your
difficulties in getting the files you want.  Sorry)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/20/90)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:

>Of course, we would especially like to see quality programs from
>Finland, but note that all the submitted programs and their
>documentation must be in English.

What about programs and documentation written in English *and*
some other European language (German, for example :-) ? Do you
allow multiple language uploads?

Especially under MS Windows it is quite simple to create national
language versions of a program, and I would like to see this
feature to be actually used ...

Wolfgang Strobl

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (08/20/90)

In article <3216@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>What about programs and documentation written in English *and*
>some other European language (German, for example :-) ? Do you
>allow multiple language uploads?

Yes, of course, if the documentation is not huge when it is only a
question of space...

>Especially under MS Windows it is quite simple to create national
>language versions of a program, and I would like to see this
>feature to be actually used ...

Me too.

--
== Harri Valkama ==============================================================
| harri.valkama@wmac00.uwasa.fi hv@uwasa.fi hv@flame.uwasa.fi hv@nic.funet.fi |

icking@gmdzi.UUCP (Werner Icking) (08/20/90)

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:

>In article <3216@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>>ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>>What about programs and documentation written in English *and*
>>some other European language (German, for example :-) ? Do you
>>allow multiple language uploads?

>Yes, of course, if the documentation is not huge when it is only a
>question of space...

>>Especially under MS Windows it is quite simple to create national
>>language versions of a program, and I would like to see this
>>feature to be actually used ...

>Me too.

If we all like this and if it is quite simple especially under MS-Windows
the author could add those parts of the *source* which have to be translated.
May be that someone will be able and willing to send the translated source
back to the author! (When will QUINTUS - the latin version of FUENEF (F]NEF
in international ASCII) a variant of KLOTZ (alias BLOCKS) appear :-?)
--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/20/90)

In article <3216@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>
>>Of course, we would especially like to see quality programs from
>>Finland, but note that all the submitted programs and their
>>documentation must be in English.
>
>What about programs and documentation written in English *and*
>some other European language (German, for example :-) ? Do you
>allow multiple language uploads?

And to complement to what my fellow moderator hv@chyde.uwasa.fi
says, rigid application of rules is not useful.  One will have to
look at programs on a case basis considering the quality and the
general interest of a program together with the language issue.

Oh yes, while I'm at it, one thing I forgot to mention in the
original invitation.  We are not very keen on GIF pictures, not at
least if they do not have any special and specific utility value.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)