[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 4DOS301A, Problems with inkey /w option!

kebsch@nixpbe.UUCP (Kebsch) (08/28/90)

Hi,

I have a problem with the inkey /w option. After some minutes the
system "hangs" in different states. "Hanging" means: no time will
be printed. Here is the batch file (.btm):

  @echo off
  : LOOP
  echo %_time
  inkey /w60 %%SELECT
  goto LOOP

That is the "sign on" message of my 4dos version:

  4DOS disk swapping initialized, swapping to C:\4DOSSWAP.000 (69K)

  4DOS 3.01a   DOS 3.30
  Copyright 1989, 1990  Rex Conn & J.P. Software  All Rights Reserved

  4DOS286 S/N 990000, shareware version, uploaded to CompuServe PCVENB forum.
  You may try this program for 21 days before registering.

I have reproduced this error on several machines:

  AT286-10, AT386-20 and AT386-33.

All machines have the same MSDOS-Release: 3.30

There are three states of "hanging":

State-1:  Any Key works. The program "restarts".

State-2:  Cntrl-C works. I may stop the batch file and restart it.

State-3:  No key will be accepted. I have to reboot the System
	  with Cntl-ALT-DEL.

Is it a bug or a feature? :-)

Greetings

Waldemar

--
[ Waldemar Kebsch, Nixdorf Computer AG, Dep.: PSD-C-61, Pontanusstrasse 55,  ]
[ 4790 Paderborn, Federal Republic of Germany, Tel.: [nat]-5251-14-6129      ]

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (08/28/90)

In <kebsch.651825968@peun33> kebsch@nixpbe.UUCP (Kebsch) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>That is the "sign on" message of my 4dos version:

>  4DOS disk swapping initialized, swapping to C:\4DOSSWAP.000 (69K)

>  4DOS 3.01a   DOS 3.30
>  Copyright 1989, 1990  Rex Conn & J.P. Software  All Rights Reserved

>  4DOS286 S/N 990000, shareware version, uploaded to CompuServe PCVENB forum.
>  You may try this program for 21 days before registering.

[more stuff deleted]

>Is it a bug or a feature? :-)

[still more stuff deleted]

Perhaps You've been using the program for more than 21 days?
I've heard from "shareware" programs that they indeed change behaviour
when the user doesn't register. When You do register, You get a hint like

	"patch byte xxx into yyy"

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixbur.uucp	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

In <josef.651830499@peun11> josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) writes:

>[stuff deleted]

>Perhaps You've been using the program for more than 21 days?
>I've heard from "shareware" programs that they indeed change behaviour
>when the user doesn't register. When You do register, You get a hint like

I have fetch it from SIMTEL about one week ago. So I should have about
14 day more to test it.

Waldemar

--
[ Waldemar Kebsch, Nixdorf Computer AG, Dep.: PSD-C-61, Pontanusstrasse 55,  ]
[ 4790 Paderborn, Federal Republic of Germany, Tel.: [nat]-5251-14-6129      ]
[ Usenet: (USA) kebsch.pad@nixdorf.com, Eunet: kebsch.pad@nixpbe.uucp        ]

kebsch@nixpbe.UUCP (Kebsch) (08/28/90)

In <kebsch.651825968@peun33> kebsch@nixpbe.UUCP (Kebsch) writes:

>Hi,

>I have a problem with the inkey /w option. After some minutes the
>system "hangs" in different states. "Hanging" means: no time will
>be printed. Here is the batch file (.btm):

[stuff deleted]

I saw an other interesting think. I start the batch file at 11:10:25am,
it stops ("hangs") at 11:29:13am and it "restarts" at 12:00:12pm
(31 minutes later).

Hmm ..., what's that????

Waldemar

--

levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Allanon, ,,3152655399) (08/29/90)

From article <josef.651830499@peun11>, by josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers):
> In <kebsch.651825968@peun33> kebsch@nixpbe.UUCP (Kebsch) writes:
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> Perhaps You've been using the program for more than 21 days?
> I've heard from "shareware" programs that they indeed change behaviour
> when the user doesn't register. When You do register, You get a hint like
>
> 	"patch byte xxx into yyy"

JP Software is a member of the Assoc. of Shareware Professionals.
According to whom you can *NOT* distribute crippleware (Software that
goes buggy after a certian period of time)  This is a method of
requiring users to register software that belongs in the sewer where it
was originated.  If the users of 4DOS are not willing to pay the minimal
fee to register their copy so be it, but then there may not be any new
versions of 4DOS comming out, and I for one like it. So PLEASE register
your copy. And yes I have registered mine.

-Walden

Walden H. Leverich III               | Inet: levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu
     ECE Dept.                       | CServ: 73237,2212
 Clarkson University                 | SnailMail: 100 Market St.
                                     |            N.C.M. Apt 10
                                     |            Potsdam, NY 13676-1702
Just once, I wish we would encounter an alien menace that wasn't immune to
bullets.    -The Brigader [Dr. Who]

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (08/29/90)

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) writes:

> In <kebsch.651825968@peun33> kebsch@nixpbe.UUCP (Kebsch) writes:

>>  4DOS286 S/N 990000, shareware version, uploaded to CompuServe PCVENB forum
>>  You may try this program for 21 days before registering.

> [more stuff deleted]

>>Is it a bug or a feature? :-)

>Perhaps You've been using the program for more than 21 days?

It makes no difference with 4DOS.  The program doesn't die after 21 days.
Thru version 3.01 the application is fully-functional and not crippled.
--
  No matter who you elect, the Government still gets in.