[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Z files

ssmith@ac.dal.ca (08/28/90)

I have been looking at some ftp sites lately.....  most of the files have a
"Z" extension. I was told that these files are compressed using a UNIX
utility called "COMPRESS" and that there is a version of "UNCOMPRESS" that
will run under msdos. Does anybody know where I can get this program???

Thanks

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (08/29/90)

In article <1900@ac.dal.ca> ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes:
>I have been looking at some ftp sites lately.....  most of the files have a
>"Z" extension. I was told that these files are compressed using a UNIX
>utility called "COMPRESS" and that there is a version of "UNCOMPRESS" that
>will run under msdos. Does anybody know where I can get this program???

Anonymous ftp to Simtel [26.2.0.74], type tenex at ftp prompt and

	get PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>COMPRS16.ARC

While you are on Simtel, also

	get PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC

to tell you the answer to an infinite number of questions like
this one with "UNCOMPRESS" changed to *anything*. This last file
(SIMIBM.ARC) is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FILE RELATING TO DOS IN NORTH
AMERICA and several outlying regions. Don't leave home without it.:-)
[SIMIBM.ARC contains a list of all files available at Simtel along
with a one-line description of each and every one . Very handy. No kidding.
A floppy storing this file ought to be squirreled away beneath the Declaration
of Independence in that neat secure case they got up there at the National
Archives. Just in case of a nuclear attack or something.]

	This file is also available by anonymous ftp from:

wuarchive.wustl.edu   [128.252.135.4]

as:  mirrors/msdos/filedocs/simibm.arc

Fetch it in binary mode.

Peace,
Bob Davis              \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/30/90)

In article <1900@ac.dal.ca> ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes:
=I have been looking at some ftp sites lately.....  most of the files have a
="Z" extension. I was told that these files are compressed using a UNIX
=utility called "COMPRESS" and that there is a version of "UNCOMPRESS" that
=will run under msdos. Does anybody know where I can get this program???

COMP16.EXE will do both, and is available on the UNIXForum of CompuServe.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math