[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] LZEXE

S26604@BARILVM.BITNET (08/27/90)

Hi,
I've recently obtained LZEXE from comp.binaries.ibm.pc
It seems like a great program - I tried it on several programs
and it seems to cut the size immensly.
I wish to pack all my EXE programs using this utility, but before
doing such a drastic thing I'd like to hear from the experiences
of others who use this program.
Also, when I run the utility on programs which use overlays I get
a message in french which seems to indicate that the real file size
is bigger then the file size shown by the allocation table. I run
the program anyway and it seems to work - what does this mean?
                                                  thanks,
                                                  Zongi

Email  address: S26604@BARILVM.BITNET

ajl3578@ultb.isc.rit.edu (A.J. Leccese) (08/28/90)

In reference to LZEXE:
I got that to. It seemed to work fine even when I got the French messages.
It compressed my .exe files with no problems, some more than 50 percent. But
the comtoexe.exe however corrupted one of my programs and made it un-runable. I
would advise you have back-ups in case it does the same to one of yours.
If someone has the program and knows French, could you please translate the
the messages that come up so I know what I'm telling it to do. Either e-mail
me or post it for all. Thanks in advance. I hope this is of help.

						Anthony Leccese

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

E-mail ajl3578@ultb.isc.rit.edu      "It's nice to be important, but
BITNET ajl3578@RITVAXA		      more important to be nice" -Br. W.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

nol2321@dsacg4.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (08/29/90)

Here's a little WARNING from someone who found out the hard way!

1.	Don't use LzExe v0.90 or below, just LZEXE v0.91 or above.
	(v0.91 is current)

2.	Don't use LzExe on files with overlays, or Microsoft Windows Prgs.

3.	Use LzShell or the like (version 2.0 had bugs, use 3.0)

4.	Get UNLZEXE.C so you can Undo it if you need to...

:)
Jim
jdunn@dsac.dla.mil

garnett@shera.bellcore.com (Michael Garnett) (08/29/90)

   Where can I get LZEXE?  I could not find it in c.b.i.p ..

   And I checked [one of] the archives for c.b.i.p...

         thank you,
            Michael

garnett@shera.bellcore.com (Michael Garnett) (08/29/90)

      Where can I get the UNLZEXE and LZSHELL binaries?
                  Michael

S26604@BARILVM.BITNET (08/30/90)

Hi,
What's LzShell?
Where can a guy get UNLZEXE?
                            thanks
                             Zongi

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/31/90)

In article <3701@ultb.isc.rit.edu> ajl3578@ultb.isc.rit.edu (A.J. Leccese ) writes:
>In reference to LZEXE:
>I got that to. It seemed to work fine even when I got the French messages.
>It compressed my .exe files with no problems, some more than 50 percent. But
>the comtoexe.exe however corrupted one of my programs and made it un-runable. I
>would advise you have back-ups in case it does the same to one of yours.
>If someone has the program and knows French, could you please translate the
>the messages that come up so I know what I'm telling it to do. Either e-mail
>me or post it for all. Thanks in advance. I hope this is of help.

That has already been done, because there is an English speaking
shell for lzexe.  Please take a look at our /pc/pd2 directory.
There are several good auxiliary programs for lzexe in there.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jrwsnsr@nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) (08/31/90)

From article <1990Aug30.104112@shera.bellcore.com>, by garnett@shera.bellcore.com (Michael Garnett):

>    Where can I get LZEXE?  I could not find it in c.b.i.p ..

You can get LZEXEENG.ZIP (an english language version) and UNLZEXE5.ZIP
(I think those are the correct filenames) from SIMTEL20, I forget which
directory.

  - Jonathan Watts

jrwsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu (Internet address)

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (09/01/90)

    I just tried out lzexe for the first time, and it is a perfect example
(I'll be using it in my classes) of an Amateur Program (tm).

    It's very useful, and obviously the result of a lot of work.  On the
other hand, it gratuitously does direct screen writes, and reads the
keyboard, rather than using standard in and out.  Further, when it
decides that there may be a problem, it asks the negative (Do you want
to stop?) rather than the more intuitive positive (Do you want to
continue?).  It provides no mechanism for telling it (via switches,
since it doesn't accept piped input) to ignore the problem and proceed,
so operator intervention is required (at least it is for every program
I've tried to compress).  Lastly, it fails to provide a destination
specification option, so that the original file can be left intact and
available to others, or so the compressed file can go on another drive
(like to a floppy).

    I'd really like to see a version of this program that does these
things properly.  I'd also like to see it strip debugging information
out of the EXE file, instead of just compressing it.  Mostly, I'd like
to be able to use the program in a batch, rather than interactive manne.

    Do keep up the good work.  The compression achieved is excellent, and
the concept is a good one.  It just needs a few touches to change it from
a useful curiousity to truly practical and almost necessary tool.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.