[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Automated extraction of programs from c.b.i.p postings.

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) (07/18/90)

Does anyone have an automated way of extracting programs from the postings in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?
Ideally this would order the postings correctly (they sometimes appear in the
wrong order) and extract and concatenate the uuencoded text.

Thanks

Henry Bruce

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (07/19/90)

In article <5213@castle.ed.ac.uk> elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:
>Does anyone have an automated way of extracting programs from the postings in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?
>Ideally this would order the postings correctly (they sometimes appear in the
>wrong order) and extract and concatenate the uuencoded text.
>
>Thanks
>
>Henry Bruce

I don't recall from what forum I copied this off the net, but the
following alias has worked to perfection for me. I have only to
copy all parts of a posting: say

	POST1, POST2, POST3

to a given directory in which NO OTHER FILES RESIDE and then, in
that directory, to issue the command:

	massuud

which I have aliased to:

massuud: 	 aliased to cat * | sed /^END/,/^BEGIN/d | uudecode

The files are miraculously concatenated together, everything NOT between
the BEGIN and END lines of each posting is discarded; and finally,
the residue is UUDECODED. This last operation virtually always--here
on cbip, anyway--results in a *.zoo file. One then simply has to apply
Rahul Dhesi's "unzoo-er" to extract the original files. It is quite
simple (but ONLY after you have done it successfully one time!).
	Good luck...
	And, Peace.

Bob Davis              \\\INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\\   UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\\AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\\VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\\ FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

I changed this a little because I don't have brik, plus I tried to
make it check the checksum of the file using zoo, but I don't have the
right filename or something...  Also, I keep a copy of the first
article up to the begin line, and I add that to the article by hand
(although it would be better to do it automatically).  Anyway, if
someone gets that to work, I'd appreciate a copy.
-russ

#!/bin/sh
# $(#) pibm -- save c.b.i.p. articles -- Andre van Dalen, andre@targon
# Save postings from comp.binaries.ibm.pc
#
tmp=/tmp/pibm$$
cd /usr/local/News/ibm

cat - > $tmp

#if brik -cv  < $tmp
#then
#  echo Checksum OK..
#else
#  echo Checksum NOT OK!!! File not saved!
#  exit 1
#fi

#subject=`grep '^Subject:' $tmp`
#part=`echo $subject | sed -n 's:^.*[Pp]art \([0-9][0-9]*\)/.*$:\1:p'`
#last=`echo $subject | sed -n 's:^.*[Pp]art [0-9][0-9]*/\([0-9][0-9]*\).*$:\1:p'`
#name=`echo $subject | sed 's/Subject: v[^:]*: \([^, ]*\)[, ].*/\1/'`

archnam=`grep '^Archive-name:' $tmp`
subject=`grep '^Subject:' $tmp`
part=`echo $subject | sed -n 's:^.*[Pp]art *\([0-9][0-9]*\)/.*$:\1:p'`
last=`echo $subject | sed -n 's:^.*[Pp]art *[0-9][0-9]*/\([0-9][0-9]*\).*$:\1:p'`
name=`echo $archnam | sed -e 's/Archive-name: \([^, ]*\).*/\1/' \
	-e 's:/[Pp]art[0-9][0-9]*::' | tr '/' '_' `

txtname=`echo $archnam | sed -e 's/Archive-name: //' -e 's/\(\/\).*$//'`

save=ibm/$name.$part
lastsave=ibm/$name.$last

#echo name $name part $part last $last save $save lastsave $lastsave
#exit

if [ "$part" = "" ]
then
  echo One part posting, uudecoding...
  cd ibm
  cat $tmp | sed '/^BEGIN/,$d' > $txtname.hdr
  /usr/local/public/bin/uudec < $tmp
  chmod 664 $txtname.zoo

else
  echo Multi part posting, saving as $save
  if [ -f $save ]
  then
      echo $save already exists! not saved.
  else
      cp $tmp $save
      nr=`ls ibm/$name.[0-9][0-9] | wc -l`
      echo Now we have $nr out of $last parts
      if [ -f $lastsave -a $nr -eq $last ]
      then
	  echo Last part, try to combine...
	  cd ibm
  	  cat $name.01 | sed '/^BEGIN/,$d' > $txtname.hdr
          list=`echo " " $name.* " " | sed 's/ [^ ]*[^0-9 ] / /g'`
          echo "$list -> " \\c
#         brik -cv $list
          cat $list | sed '/^END--/,/^BEGIN--/d' | /usr/local/public/bin/uudec
          echo $name*.[aze]*
	  chmod 664 $txtname.zoo
	  echo mv $name.[0-9][0-9] old
	  mv $name.[0-9][0-9] old
      fi
  fi
fi

rm $tmp

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
In Communism's central planning, citizens are told "you will make widgets".

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (07/19/90)

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:

>Does anyone have an automated way of extracting programs from the postings in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?
>Ideally this would order the postings correctly (they sometimes appear in the
>wrong order) and extract and concatenate the uuencoded text.

I use the following Unix shell script with the newsreader nn (which orders
the postings for me):

tee /tmp/mrhuuj$$ | sed -e '/^END--cut here/,/^BEGIN--cut here/d' "$@" | uudecode
cat /tmp/mrhuuj$$ | grep begin | sed 's/begin [0-9]* \([a-zA-Z0-9]*\)\..*/\1/' |\
sed -e 's/\(.*\)/\1\.hed/' >/tmp/mrhuuj$$.name
cat /tmp/mrhuuj$$ | sed '/BEGIN--cut here/,$d' >`cat /tmp/mrhuuj$$.name`
rm /tmp/mrhuuj$$ /tmp/mrhuuj$$.name

This produces a pair of files: progname.hed and progname.zoo. The .hed file
contains the text at the head of the first part of the posting, and the .zoo
file is ready for transfer to a PC for unarchiving. If you read your news
on a Unix machine, this should work for you, if not you might be able to
get it to work with the Unix-alike tools available for PCs, but it may not
be too easy. To use the above with nn, you type 'S' followed by '|uujoin',
and then the letters of the postings (in the correct order!).

I hope this is of use to someone, Mark

PS If Ian Phillips is reading this - yes, I do remember you wrote the
orignial version. I just tweaked it to produce the .hed files!
--
 ----------------  Eml: mrh@camcon.co.uk or mrh@camcon.uucp
 ----------------  Tlx: 81481 (CCL G)        Cambridge, UK. (Me, an opinion?)

rzi@philpav.UUCP (Roman Zielinski) (07/19/90)

In article <3994@trantor.harris-atd.com>, sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
> In article <5213@castle.ed.ac.uk> elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:
> >Does anyone have an automated way of extracting programs from the postings in
> >comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?
> 	massuud
>
> which I have aliased to:
>
> massuud: 	 aliased to cat * | sed /^END/,/^BEGIN/d | uudecode

	Yes,  it's  fine  but  what about  the posting  garbage in the
	beginning and at the end of the messages?

	The following command string removes also text up to the first
	BEGIN and after END

cat * | sed /^END/,/^BEGIN/d | sed 1,/^BEGIN/d | sed /^END/,\$\d | uudecode

(/^END/,$d must be spelled /^END/,\$\d to avoid shell interpretation of $d)

				R.

+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
! Roman M. Zielinski		  ! + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + !
! Philips Tele & Data System AB   +-------------------------------------------+
! S-115 84 Stockholm, Sweden	  ! OS/2? Que?				      !
! tel +46 8 782 1373	          ! PS/2? Que?				      !
+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
! NET ADDR:  uunet!mcsun!sunic!philpav!rzi				      !
+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) (07/19/90)

>> Bob Davis writes:
>..... deleted ....
>which I have aliased to:
>
>massuud: 	 aliased to cat * | sed /^END/,/^BEGIN/d | uudecode
>
>The files are miraculously concatenated together, everything NOT between
>the BEGIN and END lines of each posting is discarded; and finally,
>the residue is UUDECODED.

Doesn't this assume that you save each posting in a separate files
making sure you name the files are named eg. p01 p02 ... p19 instead
of p1 p2 ... p19 so that they are correctly sorted when unix expand
the wild character above?

It is much easier task to save the postings (especially when they are
in the correct order) to the same file and then run the script
above on that file.  I usually use the sequence (in notes)
	s  f  <return> <return>  repeatedly and just make sure the
postings get concatenated in the correct order.

BTW.  why are parts 2...etc of a postings posted as responses?
I guess they would not arrive in the same order?

harry@neuron1.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Harry Langenbacher) (07/20/90)