[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] simtel20 troubles

sl179060@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (09/29/89)

I am having some problems down-loading software from SIMTEL20 and I hope
someone can help me out.I am logged unto a VAX at IU (Ultrix).
I am using telnet software and a ZENITH 286.I log into SIMTEL20 with the FTP
program and I declare myself to be an anonymous user. I follow this
procedure:

%ftp simtel20.arpa
............ sign on message ......
username:anonymous
password:{nothing}
............ login message ........
ftp>cd pd1:<msdos.ega>
ftp>tenex   {I have no idea what this does}
ftp>get gmovie.arc
ftp>bye
.... sign off message .......
ftp>quit
%ftp 129.79.101.146  {my workstation}
ftp>send gmovie.arc
ftp>quit
%logout

   However when I try to run or unarchive any of the downloaded programs my
PC hangs up. Some files which were supposed to be ASCII (eg. .PAS ) contain
garbage. A few of the archived files did contain partly valid headers and my
archive utility LARK displays the archive contents. When I invoke PKXARC or
any of the other archive programs my machine crashes. This only happens when
I ask the PKXARC progrom to unarchive the SIMTEL20 files.
   Does somebody out there know the procedure to download files from SIMTEL20
using the setup that I have. I am awaiting eagerly.

Chima Echeruo.

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (09/29/89)

In article <120800007@silver> sl179060@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>I am having some problems down-loading software from SIMTEL20 and I hope
>someone can help me out.I am logged unto a VAX at IU (Ultrix).
>I am using telnet software and a ZENITH 286.I log into SIMTEL20 with the FTP
>program and I declare myself to be an anonymous user. I follow this
>procedure:
>
>%ftp simtel20.arpa
>............ sign on message ......
>username:anonymous
>password:{nothing}
>............ login message ........
>ftp>cd pd1:<msdos.ega>
>ftp>tenex   {I have no idea what this does}
>ftp>get gmovie.arc
>ftp>bye
>.... sign off message .......
>ftp>quit
>%ftp 129.79.101.146  {my workstation}
>ftp>send gmovie.arc
>ftp>quit
>%logout

The tenex command changes the ftp protocol slightly to insure that binary
files will be properly received from the TOPS20 system which uses a strange
word format to Ultrix, which uses a more common back-words format.  See if
you can get hold of an ARC utility on your Ultrix system to check the
validity of the files at that point.  The most likely place for the files
to be getting trashed is sending it to your workstation.  Your FTP is probably
defaulting to 7-bit ASCII send mode, thus trashing the file. The fix is to
type the command
ftp> binary
before doing the send command to the workstation. This is somewhat like
"tenex" but has less overhead, tenex probably being unnecessary for the
second transfer.  This will allow full 8-bit transfer.
This seems to be the most likely fix for the problem, as you mentioned
that some files came through with valid ARC headers but garbled data.
This is consistent with 7-bit transfer trashing of an 8-bit file.

+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman        | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
| "All stressed out and | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
|  nobody to choke."    |                                         |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+

halliday@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) (09/29/89)

In article <120800007@silver> sl179060@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>                                                      I follow this
>procedure:
>
>%ftp simtel20.arpa
>............ sign on message ......
>username:anonymous
>password:{nothing}
>............ login message ........
>ftp>cd pd1:<msdos.ega>
>ftp>tenex   {I have no idea what this does}

Simtel20 is a DECsystem 20, whose word length is 36 bits. It puts four 8
bit characters into each word, leaving 4 bits at one end of the word unused.
Specifying `tenex' tells it to handle the file specially, skipping those
4 bits. If you specified `binary', it would dole out the file 8 bits at
a time, without regard for word boundaries. Use `ascii' for text files.

>ftp>get gmovie.arc
>ftp>bye

Fine so far...

>%ftp 129.79.101.146  {my workstation}
>ftp>send gmovie.arc
>ftp>quit

Whoa! You must specify file type `binary' (it may be `image' on some systems)
here. Though your Ultrix system and your workstation both speak ASCII, they
differ in some things, like how they delimit lines in files. The default is
to translate Ultrix lines (ending in NL) to MS-DOS lines (CR/LF). You need
to disable this translation.

Postscript (most emphatically *not* a flame): is there any kind of new user
package floating around the net somewhere? Should we create one? There are half
a dozen questions that keep coming up (this is one of them), and it would be
handy to collect answers and tell people `Get a copy of such-and-such; the
answer is there.'

...laura

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/29/89)

In article <120800007@silver> sl179060@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>I am having some problems down-loading software from SIMTEL20...
>%ftp simtel20.arpa
>............ sign on message ......
>username:anonymous
>password:{nothing}
>............ login message ........
>ftp>cd pd1:<msdos.ega>
>ftp>tenex   {I have no idea what this does}

The tenex command functionally the same as typing two commands:
ftp> type binary
ftp> quote "TYPE L 8"
which tells your end to use binary mode and SIMTEL20 to use BINARY(8)
which is how the MDOS binary files are stored on the system.

>ftp>get gmovie.arc
>ftp>bye
>.... sign off message .......
>ftp>quit
>%ftp 129.79.101.146  {my workstation}

You left out one command here: type binary

>ftp>send gmovie.arc
>ftp>quit
>%logout
>
>   However when I try to run or unarchive any of the downloaded programs my
>PC hangs up.

That's because the archive was transferred to your PC in text mode
rather than binary.

> Some files which were supposed to be ASCII (eg. .PAS ) contain
>garbage.

You must set type text (some ftp programs use type ascii) when
transferring 7 bit text files from SIMTEL20.

>Does somebody out there know the procedure to download files from SIMTEL20
>using the setup that I have. I am awaiting eagerly.

Please send questions about SIMTEL20 files to me at the address below.

Questions and reports about network and FTP problems should be sent
to:  Action@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

Keith

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/29/89)

In article <120800007@silver> sl179060@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>program and I declare myself to be an anonymous user. I follow this
>procedure:
>
>%ftp simtel20.arpa
>.... sign off message .......
... stuff deleted ...
>ftp>quit
>%ftp 129.79.101.146  {my workstation}
>ftp>send gmovie.arc

I can always be mistaken, but as far as I could see there was
nothing wrong in your simtel procedure, but I think you have failed
to move the file correctly to your PC.  In getting the file from
your workstation you have omitted the all-important command: binary.

Here at the University of Vaasa we run an ftp system as well, and
the experience here is the same as I know Simtel20 maintainer Keith
Petersen must have: A great majority of problems in transferring
files from ftp sites is NOT in the transfer between the ftp site and
the user's mainframe (or workstation) but in errors in transferring
from the user's mainframe to the users PC.  Two errors are
particularly common:

1) Forgetting to set the file type binary (this was your problem
most probably).

2) Failing to set the parity correctly at *each* end of the user's
mainframe <--> PC.  Eg in kermit setting the parity even at each end
usually helps.

-----

Keith, if you are reading this message.  Should you and I consider
preparing an automated reply-message to these queries, because this
same question comes up so often?

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

mat431010110@stat.appstate.edu (09/06/90)

I have tried to ftp SIMTEL but couldn't make heads or tails of it. I couldn't
figure out how to change directories and get to the MS-DOS stuff. Anybody have
hints for me?

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (09/07/90)

mat431010110@stat.appstate.edu writes:
>I have tried to ftp SIMTEL but couldn't make heads or tails of it. I couldn't
>figure out how to change directories and get to the MS-DOS stuff. Anybody have
>hints for me?

Download SIMTEL-ARCHIVES.INFO from the default anonymous FTP
directory.  It gives a complete overview and instructios on how
to find things in the archives.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)