[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] MKS Toolkit

What is MKS toolkit?  What is in it?  Where do I get it?

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

blanier@mips.COM (Brian Lanier) (08/31/89)

In article <4377@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Hendrickson) writes:
>What is MKS toolkit?  What is in it?  Where do I get it?

The MKS toolkit published by Mortice Kern Systems
							 35 King Street North
							 Waterloo, Ontario
							 Canada  N2J W9
							 (519) 884-2251

is a korn shell and a set of *NIX like utilities (more, grep,ls,etc.)
You can replace command.com with the korn shell making your machine feel
very *NIXy or you can just use the utilities just like programs such as dir
and format, etc.  The phone number and address are taken from the inside
page of the manual.  If they have changed, sorry.

Discalimer:  I am not associated w/ MKS other than as a customer.  But I
like their product :-)

Brian Lanier
blanier@mips.com
Brian Lanier                           blanier@mips.com
Mips Computer Systems                  blanier@scueng.scu.edu
Sunnyvale, Ca                          (408) 991-0457

bower@hfsi.UUCP (Michael Bower Comm. ) (08/31/89)

In article <4377@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Hendrickson) writes:
>What is MKS toolkit?  What is in it?  Where do I get it?

BTW, MKS Toolkit just announced version 3.1.  Basically it includes
1) new manuals (plastic spiral bound (yech!) to the tune of almost
   700 pages (Reference Guide, Users Guide, and Installation Manual),
2) All four (4) models for AWK (including large and floating point),
3) dc (desk calculator)
4) POSIX handles
5) calendar manager (not just 'cal'),
6) a couple of other things that I have forgotten

Michael Bower - N4NMR                     Honeywell Federal Systems Inc.
uunet!hfsi!bower                          7900 Westpark Dr. - MS 1007
(703) 827-3559                            McLean, VA 22102

Does anybody know if MKS toolkit (which is supposed to emulate UNIX)
supports multitasking?  If it does, how slow is it?  (I have a 286
motherboard with XT hard disk).  Would it be reasonable on my machine,
or would I find that it was painfully slow.  (I want reasonable response
when I'm in an editor, like less than 1/4 second.)

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/09/89)

In article <4533@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> Does anybody know if MKS toolkit (which is supposed to emulate UNIX)
> supports multitasking?  If it does, how slow is it?  (I have a 286

It does not.  The MKS toolkit is an MS-DOS collection of unix like programs
which makes working in DOS just slightly palatable for people used to
UNIX.

> motherboard with XT hard disk).  Would it be reasonable on my machine,
> or would I find that it was painfully slow.  (I want reasonable response
> when I'm in an editor, like less than 1/4 second.)

While you don't have multi-tasking, you do have the look and feel of
unix.  I think it's a worthwhile package to have.

rothstein@bcse.Enet.DEC.com (Lee Rothstein, 603-881-0771) (09/09/89)

In article <4533@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes...
>Does anybody know if MKS toolkit (which is supposed to emulate UNIX)
>supports multitasking?

>Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
>Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
>Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

No Multitasking.  A nifty package, however.  They (MKS) don't
try to make a silk purse out of a sow's rear!
-----
Lee Rothstein | ZKO3-2/W21 | DEC | 110 Spitbrook Rd | Nashua, NH
03062 | FAX: 603-881-0120 | DID: 603-881-0771 | UUCP: {purdue,
ucbvax,hplabs,labrea,sun,att,pyramid,att,gryphon,angelo}!decwrl
!bcse.dec.com!rothstein | ARPAnet: rothstein@bcse.enet.com |
BITNET: rothstein@bcse.dec%decwrl.dec.com

ncpmont@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mark Montgomery) (09/10/89)

In article <4533@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Hendrickson) writes:
>Does anybody know if MKS toolkit (which is supposed to emulate UNIX)
>supports multitasking?  If it does, how slow is it?  (I have a 286

No, it does not multi-task.  It is, however, a very nice collection
of "Unix-like" utilities that can be run stand-alone under DOS or
through the MKS shell (Korn shell).  I highly reccomend it.  Mark

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (08/14/90)

Just wondering, how much does the MKS Toolkit cost?  I've heard some stuff
about it and it seems interesting as I have some Unix experience.

devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric) (09/05/90)

Does somebody know if MKS toolkit is shareware?  If so, is there a site that
I can ftp from, or a bulletin board to call?

Eric DeVolder
Kansas State

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (09/05/90)

devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric) writes:
>Does somebody know if MKS toolkit is shareware?  If so, is there a site that
>I can ftp from, or a bulletin board to call?

The MKS Toolkit is a commercial product.  It is not shareware.  Send
mail to inquiry@mks.com if you would like more information.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

torre@msa3b.UUCP (Patrick Torre) (09/06/90)

devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric) writes:

>Does somebody know if MKS toolkit is shareware?  If so, is there a site that
>I can ftp from, or a bulletin board to call?

>Eric DeVolder
>Kansas State

The toolkit is unfortunatly not sharware!
It is priced at somewere around $250 (list).

This may seem steep, but it is worth it!
not only do you get a rather complete implimentation
of the Kornshell, but you get a good pc vi and tons of other stuff.
A listing of some (most) of the commands that come with
the toolkit is at the end of this posting
(awk, cpio, diff, compress are all there)
some of the stuff has no function in the pc-dos world
but most of the utilities work as expected.
Much easier to *pay* (or have your company pay -:)) for a full toolkit
than to pull things together from all over the place.

One word of caution however, expect to struggle with configuration
if you Use IBM-PCLAN AND Use a lot of TSR's.
It works but, it was tricky.

Another nice thing; the folks at MKS are active on the net.

"Take the credit for everything, accept the blame for nothing"
- 1988 new years resoulution...still going strong.
,
pat

Files:
asa.exe        awk.exe        awkl.exe       banner.exe     basename.exe
c.exe          cal.exe        calendar.exe   cat.exe        cd.exe
chmod.exe      cmp.exe        comm.exe       compress.exe   cp.exe
cpio.exe       crypt.exe      ctags.exe      cut.exe        date.exe
dc.exe         dd.exe         deroff.exe     dev.exe        df.exe
diff.exe       diff3.exe      dirname.exe    du.exe         echo.exe
ed.exe         egrep.exe      env.exe        expand.exe     expr.exe
fg.exe         fgrep.exe      file.exe       find.exe       fmt.exe
fold.exe       getopt.exe     grep.exe       gres.exe       head.exe
help.exe       id.exe         jobs.exe       join.exe       kill.exe
lc.exe         line.exe       login.exe      logname.exe    look.exe
ls.exe         m4.exe         mailx.exe      mkdir.exe      mktemp.exe
more.exe       mv.exe         nl.exe         nm.exe         od.exe
pack.exe       passwd.exe     paste.exe      pcat.exe       pg.exe
posixcon.exe   pr.exe         prof.exe       ps.exe         pwd.exe
rev.exe        rm.exe         rmdir.exe      sed.exe        sh.exe
size.exe       sleep.exe      sort.exe       spell.exe      split.exe
strings.exe    strip.exe      sum.exe        switch.exe     sync.exe
tail.exe       tar.exe        tee.exe        test.exe       time.exe
touch.exe      tr.exe         tty.exe        uname.exe      uncompre.exe
unexpand.exe   uniq.exe       unpack.exe     unstrip.exe    uudecode.exe
uuencode.exe   validfna.exe   vi.exe         wc.exe         which.exe
who.exe        xargs.exe

phmb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Peter Brooks) (09/06/90)

>The MKS Toolkit is a commercial product.  It is not shareware.  Send
>mail to inquiry@mks.com if you would like more information.
>--
>Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
>35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy
>      Ontario, CANADA N2J 2W9      Phone: 519-884-2251  FAX: 519-884-8861

Yes, and well worth buying. It really does make DOS feel much more
friendly to the UNIX user. The manuals are worth getting as well, an
excellent awk tutorial.

A satisfied user.
Peter Brooks

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (09/06/90)

From article <1366@msa3b.UUCP>, by torre@msa3b.UUCP (Patrick Torre):
> devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric) writes:
>
>>Does somebody know if MKS toolkit is shareware?  If so, is there a site that
>
> The toolkit is unfortunatly not sharware!
> It is priced at somewere around $250 (list).

> of the Kornshell, but you get a good pc vi and tons of other stuff.

                                  ^^^^^^^^^^

From an emacs bigot:  OXYMORON ALERT!!!!

Bob

    My opinions are my own no matter	|	Robert W. McGwier, N4HY
    who I work for! ;-)			|	CCR, AMSAT, etc.

whh@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (09/07/90)

In article <773@idacrd.UUCP> mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
>> devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric) writes:
>
>> of the Kornshell, but you get a good pc vi and tons of other stuff.
>
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>From an emacs bigot:  OXYMORON ALERT!!!!

Hmmmm . . .  Isn't that redundant . . . ?

(on the whole--let's not have editor wars.  There are so *many* bad
ones on PCs that it'll be *worse* than it is on comp.unix.questions.)

	--Hal

Hal Heydt                    |    An earthquake is Mother Nature's
Analyst, Pacific*Bell        |    "silent" pager going off . . .
415-823-5447                 |
whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM        |