[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Yes, you *can* read PC disks on a MAC

b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) (09/07/90)

In article <9396@ur-cc.UUCP>, dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) writes:
> In article <20557.26e57083@psuecl.bitnet> bpm@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>>
>>Is there any way to write files to my 3.5" floppy drive (IBM compatible)
>>so that they can be read by a Macintosh?  If not, why not?
>
> I don't believe there is a pure software method for doing it.  But you
> can purchase an add-on board, the Deluxe Option Board, from Central
> Point (maker of PC-Tools and CopyII PC).  It allows you to read and
> write Mac formatted disks, and has software for file translation.

Virtually all new Mac's come with a new floppy disk drive, called the
"superdrive". A free program called "Apple File Exchange", when used
on these new disks, will allow you to read 3.5" IBM P[iece of] C[rap]
disks. *NO* other hardware is needed.

Regards,
BJH, University College Dublin           "There's no future in time travel"

dave@tygra.UUCP (David Conrad) (09/09/90)

In article <6708.26e785cc@ccvax.ucd.ie> b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) writes:
>Virtually all new Mac's come with a new floppy disk drive, called the
>"superdrive". A free program called "Apple File Exchange", when used
>on these new disks, will allow you to read 3.5" IBM P[iece of] C[rap]
>disks. *NO* other hardware is needed.

Probably a dumb question, but you can WRITE to the pc/ps/2 disks also,
correct?  I need a way to transfer MacPaint files to a pc (Don't ask why).
--
Dave Conrad
dave@tygra.ddmi.com

b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) (09/10/90)

In article <391@tygra.UUCP>, dave@tygra.UUCP (David Conrad) writes:
> In article <6708.26e785cc@ccvax.ucd.ie> b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) writes:
>>Virtually all new Mac's come with a new floppy disk drive, called the
>>"superdrive". A free program called "Apple File Exchange", when used
>>on these new disks, will allow you to read 3.5" IBM P[iece of] C[rap]
>>disks. *NO* other hardware is needed.
>
> Probably a dumb question, but you can WRITE to the pc/ps/2 disks also,
> correct?  I need a way to transfer MacPaint files to a pc (Don't ask why).
> --
> Dave Conrad

Yep, you can.

-- bjh