[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Writing Macintosh-format disks on a PC?

bpm@psuecl.bitnet (09/06/90)

Is there any way to write files to my 3.5" floppy drive (IBM compatible)
so that they can be read by a Macintosh?  If not, why not?

Also, are there any utilities which convert PC text files into Mac files
(physically, onto another disk for example)?

Thanks,

//      Brian Moquin            //
//      bpm@ecl.psu.edu         //
//                              //

dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) (09/06/90)

In article <20557.26e57083@psuecl.bitnet> bpm@psuecl.bitnet writes:

>Is there any way to write files to my 3.5" floppy drive (IBM compatible)
>so that they can be read by a Macintosh?  If not, why not?
>
>Also, are there any utilities which convert PC text files into Mac files
>(physically, onto another disk for example)?

I don't believe there is a pure software method for doing it.  But you
can purchase an add-on board, the Deluxe Option Board, from Central
Point (maker of PC-Tools and CopyII PC).  It allows you to read and
write Mac formatted disks, and has software for file translation.
Latest prices I've seen, discounted, are slightly over $100.  Central
Point info # is 1-800-888-8199.
--
David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu || dsew%uhura.cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET

royce@scor_az.resp-sci.arizona.edu (Royce Robbins) (09/07/90)

Central Pointe Software, the makers of PCTOOLS have a product called the
Deluxe Option Board that will sits between your standard IBM floppy controller
and your 3.5" floppy and will read and write Mac disks.  Retail is ~$150.

Micro Solutions, Inc. 132 West Lincoln Hwy., DeKalb, IL 60115 (815) 756-3411
makes a board/software/drive combination that would be an external drive to
your existing system.

Apple has in its newer Macs (IIfx, IIcx??) what it calls a "SuperDrive" that can
read and write DOS disks--I think it comes standard with the Mac.

Course there is always the problem of translating file formats between the two
machines, but there are some packages out there that will do that, and there
are some packages that have been implemented on both platforms and can read
each others formats (MS WORD, EXCEL, WordPerfect, etc.)

If you want more than just file transfer, you might look into TOPS or AppleShare
which provide full file/printer sharing, mail and the benefits of networking.
To connect 1 Mac and 1 IBM you'll need a copy of TOPS for each, and an AppleTalk
connector for each and an AppleTalk or TOPS FlashCard board for the IBM.  Total
solution would be ~$600.

Good Luck!
						--Royce Robbins
						Div Resp Sciences
						UofArizona

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/07/90)

In article <20557.26e57083@psuecl.bitnet> bpm@psuecl.bitnet writes:

>Is there any way to write files to my 3.5" floppy drive (IBM compatible)
>so that they can be read by a Macintosh?  If not, why not?

Yes, with a piece of hardware called Copy II PC Deluxe Option board.
<Be sure its the DELUXE! board and not the older one!>
It will supposedly read/write Mac 800k disks, but not 1.44.

If you have a Mac with the 1.44 Superdrives, you can get an init called
DOS Mounter which supposedly allows you to insert a PC DOS disk and use
it just as if it where a Mac disk..

>Also, are there any utilities which convert PC text files into Mac files
>(physically, onto another disk for example)?

Check into the Apple File Exchange program, its included with every Macintosh.
Failing that, there is a program by Data Viz called MacLink Plus.  It
sends the files over the serial port and does the conversions on the
fly.  Includes many translators and works very well.

Charles

justinlh@idsvax.ids.com (09/09/90)

In article <20557.26e57083@psuecl.bitnet>, bpm@psuecl.bitnet writes:
> Is there any way to write files to my 3.5" floppy drive (IBM compatible)
> so that they can be read by a Macintosh?  If not, why not?

Yes, but you need the Copy II PC Option Board which you can get from
a computer store or from a mail order house.

ran@doc.ic.ac.uk (Robert A Nicholls) (09/10/90)

Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: Re: Writing Macintosh-format disks on a PC?
In article <9396@ur-cc.UUCP> dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) writes:
>In article <20557.26e57083@psuecl.bitnet> bpm@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>>
>>Is there any way to write files to my 3.5" floppy drive (IBM compatible)
>>so that they can be read by a Macintosh?  If not, why not?
>>
>>Also, are there any utilities which convert PC text files into Mac files
>>(physically, onto another disk for example)?
>
>I don't believe there is a pure software method for doing it.  But you
>can purchase an add-on board, the Deluxe Option Board, from Central
>Point (maker of PC-Tools and CopyII PC).  It allows you to read and
>write Mac formatted disks, and has software for file translation.
>Latest prices I've seen, discounted, are slightly over $100.  Central
>Point info # is 1-800-888-8199.
>--
>David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
>dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu || dsew%uhura.cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET

Does anyone know whether there is a supplier for this Deluxe Option Board
here in the UK? I might have read something about this board or CopyIIPC
being banned in the UK because of pirates. Is this correct?

Thanks,

   Bob.