[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] serial port protocol analyzer

rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy) (08/24/90)

Does a TSR for the PC exist that will monitor serial port communications
and store data for subsequent examination?  The program should not interfere
with the normal flow of data in and out of the port.

Roger Levy
rl@groucho.att.com

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (08/27/90)

rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy) writes:

> Does a TSR for the PC exist that will monitor serial port communications
> and store data for subsequent examination?  The program should not interfere
> with the normal flow of data in and out of the port.

There's a 'breakout box' utility that runs in conjunction with Ray Gwinn's
X00 fossil.  It will split-screen an EGA or VGA monitor and show you
what's happening in realtime.  There may be something that will direct this
to a file, but I'm not sure.  I think a chap named Bob Hartman wrote a
utility to go along with this that will translate the 'electronic' 0's
and 1's to alpha characters.

Also, the BNU fossil has a 'debug' window that shows hex values of things
going on during serial communications.

I'll be pleased to send either (or both) of these packages to anyone,
uuencoded and ZIP'd (or whatever flavor of archiver you choose--almost).

--
  No matter who you elect, the Government still gets in.

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (09/02/90)

> Also, the BNU fossil has a 'debug' window that shows hex values of things
> going on during serial communications.

The next release of BNU will actually include the facility to load a TSR
to capture time-stamped data to two files; inbound and outbound queues,
and a program to dump these to text format, individually or combined.

This is any of interest to someone using the INT 14H layer of course.
Else you have to go to hardware with a line monitor/datascope.

david

--

        Fidonet: 3:632/348   SIGnet: 28:4100/1  Imex: 90:833/387
              Data:  +61-3-885-7864   Voice: +61-3-826-6711
 Internet/ACSnet: david@csource.oz.au    Uucp: ..!uunet!munnari!csource!david

panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) (09/05/90)

I read about your offer to send copies of a 'breakout box' utility on
one of the Internet notesstrings.  Since I usually have to rummage around
for the better part of 2 hours to locate one of our two hardware
RS232 protocol analyzers, this would save me a great deal of time.

Would you please send me a copy when you get a chance?  Thanks much, in
advance!

Jon Panek
Hewlett-Packard, Andover Division

+01 508 687 1501  (ext 2866)

panek@hp-and.HP.COM

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton) (09/12/90)

Jon Panek writes:
> I read about your offer to send copies of a 'breakout box' utility on
> one of the Internet notesstrings.

Actually, I saw it in the message I forwarded off of.

PLease Throw a copy My way Also... Many Thanks and Blessings...

--
Ed Felton                  | When you wish to produce a result by means of an
uunet!sci34hub!eng3!felton | instrument, do not allow yourself to complicate it
                           |                          -- Leonardo da Vinci
        Disclaimer: Even if I had opinions, who would want them???