[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] But is there a ZIP?

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep7.204047.21397@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
=In article <90404@srcsip.UUCP> hadden@SRC.Honeywell.COM (George D. Hadden) writes:
=>does one exist?  how about for zoo?
=
=Both can be obtained by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi directory
=/unix/ts.

Is there a ZIP for UNIX?  *That* would be something!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/12/90)

>> Is there a ZIP for UNIX?  *That* would be something!

There is work on that, and I would guess (but not promise) a limited zip
(possibly just implosion or just shrinking) for Unix in about two months.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/12/90)

>> Is there a ZIP for UNIX?  *That* would be something!

There is work /n that, and I would guess (but .ot promise) a limited zip
(poss)bly just implosion or just shrinking) for Unix in about two months.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

bkahn@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (09/12/90)

Hadden) writes:
|> =>does one exist?  how about for zoo?
|> =
|> =Both can be obtained by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi directory
|> =/unix/ts.
|>
|> Is there a ZIP for UNIX?  *That* would be something!

  Nope.  If there is one that is not known to the Info-Zip mailing list
then
please let me know where I can get a copy.

--
                                            Bruce
(bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com or

  Standard disclaimers apply, except where prohibited by law...

lupic@micasa.UUCP (Jack Lupic) (09/13/90)

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> In article <1990Sep7.204047.21397@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) wri
> =In article <90404@srcsip.UUCP> hadden@SRC.Honeywell.COM (George D. Hadden) w
> =>does one exist?  how about for zoo?
> =
> =Both can be obtained by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi directory
> =/unix/ts.
>
> Is there a ZIP for UNIX?  *That* would be something!

No,there is definitely no ZIP for Unix but there IS an UNZIP program for
Unix.

P.S. Phil Katz of PKZIP fame has been reluctant to release source code
for PKZIP.The UNZIP part was done by someone else.

Jack Lupic

Scarborough,Ont.,CANADA

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (09/14/90)

This is probably the wrong way of going about it, but ...

--->  Has anybody written software for Unix that can emulate a DOS platform?

If this was done, then programs like PKZIP could be run under this
emulator, on Unix, and Unix might gain some useful tools that it
otherwise couldn't have (because the grinches refuse to release source).

--
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (09/14/90)

In article <27110@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
   This is probably the wrong way of going about it, but ...
   --->  Has anybody written software for Unix that can emulate a DOS platform?

For 386 Unixes, there are a couple of products that do this (VP/ix and DosMerge
come to mind immediately).  Both work reasonably well.  Read comp.unix.msdos to
find out all about them :-)
--
* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 2400/1200/300) *

rahard@eeserv.EE.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) (09/14/90)

>kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>   This is probably the wrong way of going about it, but ...
>   --->  Has anybody written software for Unix that can emulate a DOS platform?

There is a program called 'dos' for Sun 386 and Sparc that emulates IBM-AT
(CGA/hercules ?). PKZIP would work there (I have tried with some IBM graphics
progs, and it works).

-- budi
--
Budi Rahardjo                 <rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
<rahard@ee.umanitoba.ca>   <rahard@budi.ee.umanitoba.ca>

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/15/90)

In article <OTTO.90Sep14114153@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>In article <27110@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>   This is probably the wrong way of going about it, but ...
>   --->  Has anybody written software for Unix that can emulate a DOS platform?
>
>For 386 Unixes, there are a couple of products that do this (VP/ix and DosMerge
>come to mind immediately).  Both work reasonably well.  Read comp.unix.msdos to
>find out all about them :-)

Certainly it can't be difficult to write zip/unzip routines on UNIX. I for one
use a unix machine all day (Sun sparc) and get my stuff over the net, then
take it home on floppies. A zip for native UNIX would be helpful for me to
test the integrity of a file before waiting till I get home that it is corrupt
and I have to download it again.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

There already is an unzip for Unix.  It can be found in most of the archives
and is useful for testing and unpacking zip files under unix.

A *zip* for unix would be used to create archives for ms-dos users in ZIP
format, and I suppose to create archives for unix users using the unix
unzip, although that's far less common a use.

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (09/15/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:
>[....] A zip for native UNIX would be helpful for me to
>test the integrity of a file before waiting till I get home that it is corrupt
>and I have to download it again.

UNZIP for Unix will do this for you.  It's available from SIMTEL20,
in directory pd3:<misc.unix>UNZIP310.TAR-Z.  It works on many
different flavors of Unix.  Info-ZIP@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL is the
mailing list of people interested in helping develop UNZIP and ZIP for
minicomputer and mainframe systems.  Send a note to
Info-ZIP-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL to have your name added to the
mailing list.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

In article <1990Sep14.183442.5007@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:

| Certainly it can't be difficult to write zip/unzip routines on UNIX. I for one
| use a unix machine all day (Sun sparc) and get my stuff over the net, then
| take it home on floppies. A zip for native UNIX would be helpful for me to
| test the integrity of a file before waiting till I get home that it is corrupt
| and I have to download it again.

  Since you find it so easy why not knock one off on your lunch hour.
About 30 people on the unzip mailing list have been working on getting
the unzip right. Making it work on one machine *is* fairly easy, but
making it postable is not.

  The format is highly machine dependent as to byte oreder, bit order,
struct padding, and word length. We could really use someone who has a
better understanding than we do to show us why we have been struggling
so long to get it right.

  Be sure to have it work on 36, 48, and 64 bit machines... I'll post a
copy for you later this week when you're done.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep14.134748.286@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahard@eeserv.EE.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
)There is a program called 'dos' for Sun 386 and Sparc that emulates IBM-AT
)(CGA/hercules ?). PKZIP would work there (I have tried with some IBM graphics
)progs, and it works).

1. Where would one get it?

2. Does it work with normal ASCII terminals, or does it need a SUN
monitor or X terminal?
--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (09/17/90)

In article <943@dg.dg.com> bkahn@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:
>   |>
>   |> Is there a ZIP for UNIX?  *That* would be something!
>   |>

>     Nope.  If there is one that is not known to the Info-Zip mailing list
>   then please let me know where I can get a copy.

Let EVERYBODY know !!!

--
// Pina

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?