[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] msdos backup hangs when you have a path > 127 bytes

rzi@philpav.tds.philips.se (Roman Zielinski) (09/17/90)

during the summer cbip has distributed "cpath", a very handsome tool
allowing you to create human directory structures, when it was possible
to break through the famous 127-byte limit in the MS path-command.

Unfortunally I've got some troubles:

1. MS Windows 3.0 hangs in setup when scanning for win-applications
   (or just says "UNRECOV. APPL. ERR" when running setup via icon),
   reported earlier by me

2. The new one:
   MS-DOS "backup" can give you any strange behaviour you want:
   - if your system or memory manager (as qemm-386) detects some
     runtime/address errors you can get 386-exception *13* when trying
     to execute some ascii strings or nulls...
   - you can get some runtime error (BIOS? QEMM?) as wrong date, null-pointer,
     zero-divide, ....
   - or *backup* may complain about wrong/missing source
   - or just simply hang

Has anyone discovered other commands where Microsoft introduced their
defensive >;-) programming ideas (when they are copying zero-terminated
strings without checking if their length is okey to put in the receiving
buffer - I assume that it is one of the first thing one to has to learn
when programming computers????), please let me (and others) know,
I cannot live without *cpath* and *long paths* and *human directory
structures*, so I prefere to know which commands require shorter path so
I can make some tricks around them...

*********** black list ***********
windows 3.0 setup
backup
*tbs*
*********** ********** ***********

+-------------------------------------------+           _--~--_
| tel +46 8 782 1373	                    |           |=====|
+-------------------------------------------+           |=====|
| NET ADDR:  rzi@pav.tds.philips.se         |           |=====|
+-------------------------------------------+		 ~~U~~

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/17/90)

In article <464@philpav.tds.philips.se> rzi@philpav.tds.philips.se (Roman Zielinski) writes:
>during the summer cbip has distributed "cpath", a very handsome tool
>allowing you to create human directory structures, when it was possible
>to break through the famous 127-byte limit in the MS path-command.
>Unfortunally I've got some troubles:

Although I have no answers to the problems you have found, let me
pose two obvious questions:

1) Have you got the latest version (/pc/pd2/cpath20.zip).  If not,
you can download it eg from our ftp site.

2) Have you informed the author.  He can be reached by InterNet
email.

Hope these simple points contribute towards an eventual solution.
Please let me also state a personal opinnion.  I feel that it is
useful for us other users to have any problems in the distributed
programs pointed out in the net, as you did.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)